• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grief and finding a friend

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
Hey.

I know this is super soon to be asking this as we only lost Ivy yesterday.

But I don’t know how to go forward with Leafy? Do I find him a new companion as soon as possible? Do I wait? Does he need time?

Unfortunately, I didn’t bring Ivy home yesterday for him to process her death. So I don’t really know if he knows what’s happened. He’s been relatively like his normal self, but occasionally I’ve noticed he looks into the dig box, which was favourite Ivy’s hiding place.

I really want what is best for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this in your other thread

Some bereaved Rabbits are very willing to accept a new friend straight away, others might take a little time. In 25 years I have only had 1 Rabbit who refused to accept another companion after her soulmate passed. I tried many times with many different Rabbits for well over a year. This situation is very rare though, in 99.9% of cases a bereaved Rabbit will be happier once they find the right new companion.

You will not be replacing Ivy, no Bunny can to that xx

Until you can find him a friend, I would try to give him extra stimulation such as a willow tunnel to play with, a chill and chew mat, some rabbit safe twigs or branches such as apple or pear, if he doesn’t chew them you could give him some cardboard boxes, and some bunnies like a soft toy to cuddle, but you need to watch for them chewing them. I would contact some rescues to see if they have some bunnies suitable as a companion, they may help with bonding too. You aren’t replacing Ivy, and it might help when you are ready to give you something positive to focus on. It can be hard to have to cope with a grieving bunny, I know :cry:

I think he is definitely feeling it, he barely moved all night…[emoji17][emoji17]

I’ve ordered him a ton of different things to nibble on and I’ll convert a box into a hiding spot for him too.

I also popped a teddy in one of his napping spots last night. He’s not been interested but things may change.

I feel so incredibly sad for him. I want to see both Ivy and Leafy whizzing around their room because they are happy and healthy…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back