• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something is awry... Vet visited, not much changing! Stasis - maybe?

Pellets are often the last thing a Rabbit who has been ill will want to eat. They usually prefer fresh herbs, forage and Veg. As long as he is eating something and his output is improving I don’t think stressing him out further by giving syringe feeds would be in his best interests at this stage. See if you can find a few dandelion leaves and a bit of hand cut grass, he might eat those.

That sounds like positive progress. I would still keep a close eye on him and be wary of stopping anything too soon, as they can easily relapse until everything is completely back to normal for a few days.

Yeah definitely.

I think the plan is to use all of the meds. I'm not entirely sure when we're supposed to stop giving him them to be honest, vet hasn't really indicated that to us clearly as he was close to being put to sleep and now is quite a bit brighter.

Metacam we've got a fair bit of... The others I think were dispensed for it all to be given to him.

Obviously don't want him suffering side effects of too many drugs etc.

Is it best to stop completely and see how he goes, or ween off (or speak to vet)?

Yeah definitely.

I think the plan is to use all of the meds. I'm not entirely sure when we're supposed to stop giving him them to be honest, vet hasn't really indicated that to us clearly as he was close to being put to sleep and now is quite a bit brighter.

Metacam we've got a fair bit of... The others I think were dispensed for it all to be given to him.

Obviously don't want him suffering side effects of too many drugs etc.

Is it best to stop completely and see how he goes, or ween off (or speak to vet)?

Speak to Vet

If he's not absolutely 100% back to normal, keep up with the meds until he is for a couple of days - so you know he's holding his own properly. If he's not fully back to normal, he still needs meds as he's likely to relapse for whatever reason caused it in the first place. They are obviously working, but it takes time. It's not unusual for stasis to take at least a week to clear.

Yeah, it's hard to know as we've got the indoors at the moment. Waiting for the weather to improve a bit before we put them in their normal environment.

We'd probably see his lethargy more if he was in the garden, eg is he hopping round and eating grass.

Will call vet and ask the question re meds.

Positive update. Vet didn't call back, so will try again tomorrow morning but... Behaviourally he is very much back to normal! He's eating loads of hay, pellets, vegetables and looks way happier today (and has looked much more comfortable for a few days now). He's drinking water and has normal looking poos too. Comes over for his chin rubs....and runs away when we try to stroke him (as per).

Hopefully we're getting out of the woods. Feels like a minor miracle after last Monday where vet reported liver failure / severe damage and suggested we may be approaching PTS...

I'll hopefully give a final update on this thread in a day or two. Thanks for all the advice over the past 10(?!) days, it's definitely contributed to him recovering, and is nice to get a second opinion especially with the vets being uncertain.

Here's a video of him saying thank you (by way of eating):
https://streamable.com/805sbb

Your update makes me so happy. Sending vibes he will continue to do well. You did a great job returning him to health.

Back