Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bella needs to see vet

Hybrid View

Warren Scout

Default Bella needs to see vet

So bellas needing to go to vets. Sheís not eating her cecotropes. I had her there before & they said cut out grass for a couple months & that will sort itwhich I did. It hasnít done so this time itís with a rabbit vet from the rabbit welfare site. I want tests done & it investigated. I feel like Iv been fobbed off a bit as Iv mentioned it before but Iv been doing a lot of research & itís not normal or good for her. Morgan eats his fine. Somethings definitely going on I just pray itís nothing serious. Thankfully I have insurance for both buns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the vet give a reason why they thought cutting out grass would help? Usually increasing things like hay/grass and cutting down on other food would be suggested depending on what the vet thinks the problem is. Has she had her teeth checked?

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Orenoko View Post
    Did the vet give a reason why they thought cutting out grass would help? Usually increasing things like hay/grass and cutting down on other food would be suggested depending on what the vet thinks the problem is. Has she had her teeth checked?
    Hi, thank you for commenting. yes it seemed strange to me but wasnít an experienced vet. I said do you really think thatís going to do it as itís part of their natural diet & he said yes. Iv not owned buns before so took the advice. He said it was first thing I should do. She hadnít been out anyway as I took her inside after losing shadow & having dental (she had molar spurs). Sheís only had hay & not pellets or anything. Eating anything else seems to make it worse & produce more of them on the floor. She had the issue while on pellets grass & veg & forage but itís not cleared up without any so definitely canít be the cause of it xx

Alpha Buck

Cutting out grass seems a strange choice - I increase the grass for mine when he's struggling and cut back on his other greens cos he tends to eat them rather than hay. Grass isn't usually the problem with excess caecals.
    If she is ok in herself have you tried cutting back her pellets if she has them? I think some pellets are also more likely to cause this problem.

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post
    Cutting out grass seems a strange choice - I increase the grass for mine when he's struggling and cut back on his other greens cos he tends to eat them rather than hay. Grass isn't usually the problem with excess caecals.
    If she is ok in herself have you tried cutting back her pellets if she has them? I think some pellets are also more likely to cause this problem.
    Hi, thank you for commenting. I know I found it very strange but I did it. Sheís been inside now & also not been on pellets for a long time. Greens etc seem to make it worse so sheís just on hay & nothing sheís but itís made no difference. Iv not owned buns before so took vets advice for the couple months no grass but itís not helped. Iím seeing a rabbit savvy vet & im demanding itís looked in to. She has berm sleeping/resting more today o noticed. Other than that sheís herself & eating & drinking xx

I get the idea of limiting fresh grass if it were Spring when its rich IF it was new to that rabbit. Does Bella keep herself clean ok? If you offer her left cecos back to her will she eat them? As a new-ish bunny owner you might not know about scent glands yet. If they needed cleaning & she is leaving cecos it could be indicative of a mobility problem as you suspect, arthritis or similar

I'm sure her new bunny savvy vet will be able to diagnose the issue & make her more comfy

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I get the idea of limiting fresh grass if it were Spring when its rich IF it was new to that rabbit. Does Bella keep herself clean ok? If you offer her left cecos back to her will she eat them? As a new-ish bunny owner you might not know about scent glands yet. If they needed cleaning & she is leaving cecos it could be indicative of a mobility problem as you suspect, arthritis or similar

I'm sure her new bunny savvy vet will be able to diagnose the issue & make her more comfy
    Hi, thank you for commenting. Yes it was strange to me as she always had grass. Yes she has cleaning issues & I have to clean her glands. Your right I didnít know lol. I rushed her to vets a while back thinking she has an abscess & the stuff coming from the glands were dry blood! I thought the glands were cuts . I have to keep her brushed at her rear end & clean as she doesnít manage & I learnt this now. The thing is when I mentioned arthritis to the vet he said sheís to young for it at 5. I gave before doing a lot of research on it in buns & this is t true at all. The poor thing was confined to a hutch before no exercise & that can also cause it to set in. This time with rabbit savvy vet Iím going to say I need to know if she has it. I was so lucky to get her as sheís normally booked up so far in advance. I donít feel I trust the other vets except the 1 who found her spurs. We have t had her that long only since March last year if I remember right. But for the cecotropes & suspected arthritis, I want the rabbit savvy one I found on the rabbit welfare site thanks to Jane who told me about finding local ones on there. Xx

Warren Scout

I meant confined to a hutch in previous home not with me. It was awful xx

I'm sure I read on here about how the majority of rabbits will have some arthritis over the age of 5. Certainly young buns can get it, just like young people. Poor girl, stuck in a hutch 24/7. One of my bunnies Mousey was rescued by the police & brought to rescue in the guinea pig cage she lived in She isn't a small bunny either. When she was diagnosed with arthritis (just by physical exam, she didn't have diagnostics) my vet said there was damage to a section of her spine which is often caused by mishandling when they are young. Mouse is on metacam twice daily & I also give her Oxbow Joint support tablets which I believe help. She loves heat sources too - addicted to her snugglesafe

Warren Scout

I'm sure I read on here about how the majority of rabbits will have some arthritis over the age of 5. Certainly young buns can get it, just like young people. Poor girl, stuck in a hutch 24/7. One of my bunnies Mousey was rescued by the police & brought to rescue in the guinea pig cage she lived in She isn't a small bunny either. When she was diagnosed with arthritis (just by physical exam, she didn't have diagnostics) my vet said there was damage to a section of her spine which is often caused by mishandling when they are young. Mouse is on metacam twice daily & I also give her Oxbow Joint support tablets which I believe help. She loves heat sources too - addicted to her snugglesafe
    Hi, thatís heartbreaking . People are so cruel I hate it. Thankfully we got our bunnies to save them from this & give them the best life. Yes I read exactly the same about over 5 mostly having it. I should look at the oxbow joint care, thank you for that. Canít do any harm & may help her as sheís over 5. Is it just for bunnies that are older or have arthritis? I have a young bun of 8/9 months & would give him if it would be good for him xx