• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Belka going to vet

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello everyone. As some of you will know Bella list her best friend 2 days ago. Since Iv been taking her inside for cuddles. When we got her & shadow they had never been handled in years. Anyway I noticed a horrible smell coming from Bella the last 2 days & I examined her rear end & tummy. To my horror she has a huge lump & another what I can only think is some kind of wound /lactation with pus around. It had black stuff which doesn’t seem like blood on it. It’s near her back end/tail area above it. Somethings terribly wrong & we have emergency vet appointment at 4. I’m so scared but I need to get her in & seem to. Please keep us in your thoughts & prayers that she will be ok. I will post an update after vets. She’s been through the mill & last week she was in about her skin condition after having treatment for 4 weeks & they found a spur on her molar when vet checked. She’s booked in on 27th for that to be treated as they had no other dental appointments prior. Her skins so much better after parasite treatment but the poor girl was full of it since before we took them here. Thankfully I asked the vet please check both girls teeth or they wouldn’t have known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor Bella, I hope that she will be OK. Could it be Flystrike ?

Poor Bella, I hope that she will be OK. Could it be Flystrike ?

Hi, we are home & she ok thank goodness. So the black stuff was secretions from her glands & the vet showed me that she has them on either side of her genitals. The discharge wasn’t pus & it wasn’t a wound just glands had got really bad. I had no idea female rabbits had these & Bella hasn’t been able to groom herself properly so this has happened. I have to clean them for her now. The lumps were apparently part of her pelvic area. I feel so terribly stupid panicking like that thinking something was seriously wrong with her. Because the secretions had been not getting cleaned it had dried like scabs really hard & black. I thought they were wounds that had scabbed that the scab had turned black. I thought it was only male guinea pigs needed their glands secreted. She struggles to groom herself down there. She was so overweight when we took her but she’s now at a great healthy weight they said. They said she maybe didn’t manage to learn to groom right from when she was young. Maybe it’s her breed? Thank you so much for commenting & caring. I really feel so ashamed at my stupidity xx

Hoping Bella will be ok.

Hi, she is ok thank goodness. I made such a stupid mistake rushing her there. I replied to inspector morse explaining all just to save me writing it again. It’s been such a crazy few days Iv just cried with relief she’s ok. Thank you so much for showing care [emoji3590] xx

I’m so pleased Bella is ok. Apologies I didn’t comment before you went to the vet - but I was thinking of you and Bella all the way home as I drove. I’m so pleased everything is ok and no your not stupid so don’t feel you are. Everyone of us has been there. It shows how deep you care and how observant you are. If there were more people like you, rabbits and pets would be in a far better place.
Craig x

Also belka got another dose of parasite treatment for her skin. It’s practically gone just a tiny bit & that’s been over 3 wks since last dose so thought best to get 1 more dose to do the job & vet agreed. She’s booked in for her molar spur on 27th. She also has matts under her chin they found. She’s struggling to groom it. I asked shoukd I take a trimmer to it but said no & try washing it & brushing & ask vet when she goes for dental to try & do it. I don’t know if she’s been drooling there because of dental. What a sorry state she was in after years of not getting seen by a vet [emoji22]. Iv got her on pet health club & I will take her for vet check ups etc & hopefully we are off to a good future now. So many things I didn’t know as a first time owner but she will get the best care from now on. Now she’s on the club she gets her check ups etc. Xx

I’m so pleased Bella is ok. Apologies I didn’t comment before you went to the vet - but I was thinking of you and Bella all the way home as I drove. I’m so pleased everything is ok and no your not stupid so don’t feel you are. Everyone of us has been there. It shows how deep you care and how observant you are. If there were more people like you, rabbits and pets would be in a far better place.
Craig x

Hi Craig, thank you so much [emoji3590]. Gosh I really felt I was thinking it was something really bad. Thank goodness she’s ok. Don’t worry at all about not commenting before & thank you for thinking of us. That’s so kind, I do try my best to give them the best life & would run to vets again in a minute if I ever thought something was wrong. Hopefully now we are on a better road of health & happiness for bela & getting her all sorted.xx

Ah I'm glad she's okay! Scent glands can look a bit gross, and it's not something that's widely advertised about bunnies I would say! I'd rather overreact than underreact, especially in the genital area as infection could occur quickly, so you did the right thing!

The matted fur could be to do with the teeth, if the vets can clean her up that should help, and she will hopefully be in a better place to keep herself clean afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Glad she's OK. I wouldn't worry about not knowing about them.

I once took Rodney to our old vets due to funky smell and asked them to show me how to clean them and the vet didn't even know they had them!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Ah I'm glad she's okay! Scent glands can look a bit gross, and it's not something that's widely advertised about bunnies I would say! I'd rather overreact than underreact, especially in the genital area as infection could occur quickly, so you did the right thing!

The matted fur could be to do with the teeth, if the vets can clean her up that should help, and she will hopefully be in a better place to keep herself clean afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thank you. Yes hers had been secreting stuff for a while & I hadn’t known. The smell is what I noticed first that’s why I examined her & it had all hardened & was smelling. Yes very true glad I took her as coukd have been something else & wanted to be safe. I now know she needs help to keep them clean I can do that for her so she doesn’t get it again. Yes I’m asking vet to do that when she goes in for her tooth. Then regular brushing should keep her ok. It’s funny because I was brushing her the other night & she loved it. I then went to do under her chin & she started thumping. I knew she didn’t like that & now know why. The matts must have been there before I got her in may. She had never been to vets prior & I didn’t know to check there for them. If just said to vet can you check under her chin as she’s been a bit wet there & trying to groom it. Xx

Hello everyone, just thought I’d update on Bella. So today she went in for her dental. Before it I asked the vet to check her bum/genital area & to deal with the matting under her chin/chest area. They had to shave it off & I think it’s been like that for so long before we took her in may. I only noticed the matting because I seen she was wet there & then when I was brushing her & went there she got upset. I had a feel & felt the matts. I feel terrible not noticing before but I really did t know they coukd get matted there or that short haired rabbits could get them. I will now keep her brushed. They also gave her anti inflammatory for the swollen genitals for a week. If it’s not gone down they will need to investigate further. Iv had her there before about that & the nurse I think it was said it was normal! So glad they have seen it’s not. I’m picking her up soon & I hope she’s on the mend to better health & get everything sorted out for her. I just wanted to ask some advice please. She’s outdoors in her shed but now she’s been shaved I’m worried she may get cold & sick. Do I need to take her in until it grows back? Thank you xx

Sorry not to have been around this evening (Andre Rieu has been on the TV!). Bella should be ok if you decided to keep her outside but did she have a general anaesthetic? We normally keep them indoors for the first night. She is in her shed so she will be ok I think. Maybe you decided to have her indoors?

Sorry not to have been around this evening (Andre Rieu has been on the TV!). Bella should be ok if you decided to keep her outside but did she have a general anaesthetic? We normally keep them indoors for the first night. She is in her shed so she will be ok I think. Maybe you decided to have her indoors?

Hi Toni, sorry just seen this. Lol hope you enjoyed it [emoji846]. Bellas been inside since vets. I just want to keep her in for now as it’s getting so cold & I worry she’s lonely on her own xx

Back