• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dried forage

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
I have 9 gorgeous bunnies and am always looking for ways to feed them well without breaking the bank! During the Summer they have mostly fresh forage from a field near me and of course hay plus a few pellets. In the winter when forage is scarce I buy veg instead. I would like to give them dried forage each day to replace a lot of the veg because I think it would be better/more natural for them. I understand that some of the nutrients disappear in the drying process but it must still be good and nutritious for them.
I'd love some feedback from people who use dried forage as more than a treat. Where you buy from/ benefits/ cost/ how much you feed etc.
i have some on order from a business in Norfolk to see what they think of it but any advice or feedback is very welcome.
Thanks!

I make my own dry forage over the summer / early autumn. It supplements the hay and limited greens available over winter.
At the moment, I have assorted willow tree and apple tree prunings dried and in storage.

I make my own dry forage over the summer / early autumn. It supplements the hay and limited greens available over winter.
At the moment, I have assorted willow tree and apple tree prunings dried and in storage.

Thank you for this. I don't have the space to do my own unfortunately and I'd need to make such a lot! I bet your rabbits love what you dry for them. I will be interested to see what my bunnies make of dried forage

I dry my own too - but I've only 3 to cater for & that takes up enough room, its surprisingly bulky. I never really know how much to feed - same as I'm uncertain with fresh - however I do feed a wide variety so I don't think they'll ever get too much of one thing . Let us know what your buns thing. their are loads of dried forage threads with recommendations of where to buy (I think Hop to Forage & Galens Garden, Hay Experts & Natures Grub come up a lot - I think the latter is the economy option

How do people keep their dried forage?

Is it like hay that needs ventilation or are sealed tubs okay?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I keep mine in cardboard boxes or strong paper bags, then store in a dry shed or standard dustbin. Large cereal boxes are quite good for tree and bush prunings - twigs are about 30cm long and the leaves don't get crushed.

They need checking and rotating to stop mould growing - but my home dried forage probably isn't as dry as commercially produced stuff.
Don't forget to label it. Dry forage all startsto look similar after a few weeks...

I dry my own too - but I've only 3 to cater for & that takes up enough room, its surprisingly bulky. I never really know how much to feed - same as I'm uncertain with fresh - however I do feed a wide variety so I don't think they'll ever get too much of one thing . Let us know what your buns thing. their are loads of dried forage threads with recommendations of where to buy (I think Hop to Forage & Galens Garden, Hay Experts & Natures Grub come up a lot - I think the latter is the economy option

Thank you. That's useful to know

Back