• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Second litter tray

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
Casper can be possessive of the hay in their litter tray sometimes and then he'll chase Sophie out of it, and I'm embarrassed to say that it never occured to me until today that I should just get a second litter tray. :oops: They currently have a potting tray that's quite big for them and takes up quite a bit of space, so I wanted a smaller one as their second one, but I can't find a good one. I want one with a lower side so Sophie doesn't have to jump in, but all the litter trays I've seen that have a lower entrance have the entrance on the short side of the litter tray, which means that when I put their hay at the other end they'll pee over the low edge, since they don't pee on their hay. So, I'd prefer having a litter tray with a lower entrance on the long side. I looked at plastic dog beds, but all the ones I've seen have ventilation holes in the bottom, which is not ideal for a litter tray. ;) I was thinking of one that's about 30 x 45 cm, something like that? Does anyone have any ideas? It doesn't have to be an actual litter tray; it can be something else, as long as it can be used as one.

Mousey uses an old carrier base as her litter tray but its a side entrance so thats no good. I remember searching for dog beds & someone posting ones that had no ventiliation slits - it was on ebay, I just didn't like the colours :oops: Our dog beds have ventilation holes, I taped this plastic sheet over the base (think it was an oven liner so maybe silicone not plastic :lol:). I thought it would be a pain but it was really good, everything just slid out at cleaning time . I wish I could go back to dog beds but Boo won't let me

Have seen somewhere you can cut a hole into an underbed storage box using masking tape to prevent the plastic from splintering. Perhaps try that and get exactly what you want that way.

Thank you for your replies, j&b and HouseOfRabbit. :)

Mousey uses an old carrier base as her litter tray but its a side entrance so thats no good. I remember searching for dog beds & someone posting ones that had no ventiliation slits - it was on ebay, I just didn't like the colours :oops: Our dog beds have ventilation holes, I taped this plastic sheet over the base (think it was an oven liner so maybe silicone not plastic :lol:). I thought it would be a pain but it was really good, everything just slid out at cleaning time . I wish I could go back to dog beds but Boo won't let me
Oh, yes, carrier bases have nice low entrances. Thank you for looking for dog beds without holes in them for me! I really appreciate that. I hadn't thought to look on eBay. There aren't many Dutch shops on there, so shipping is usually high, plus we now have to pay import duties and stuff for things from the UK, so it can get rather expensive! I like the one you linked to, and they do ship to the Netherlands, but shipping and duties would cost more the bed itself. :( So, maybe I should try your idea of taping a plastic/silicone sheet over the base instead... I'm glad it worked really well for you, though not so well for Boo. ;) They didn't try to chew the tape or the plastic/silicone?

Have seen somewhere you can cut a hole into an underbed storage box using masking tape to prevent the plastic from splintering. Perhaps try that and get exactly what you want that way.
Ooh, I wonder how difficult it would be to cut a hole in plastic... That could work well, though! But I do worry about them possibly chewing the masking tape.

You're welcome. No they never chewed the tape or liner , even after Boo dug all the litter & hay out.

This is like the stuff I used (just cos I had it in really but if its food safe & they don't chew it I can't imagine its a problem)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/First4Spares-Reusable-Teflon-Cooking-Coated/dp/B00VRRPE1U/ref=asc_df_B00VRRPE1U/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309865112359&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15333049925887583815&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006941&hvtargid=pla-737055700687&psc=1

I've just had a quick search on 'high sided plastic litter tray' and it comes up with quite a few different styles, all with a lowered edge for the entrance

The masking tape gets taken off once you've finished cutting. Can't find the video that I saw this originally on but this video is for a cat litter box and should give the idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_KBWzHvNn4
Oh, I see! I misunderstood, hehe. Thank you for the video. That seems pretty easy to do! I don't have the tools, though, so I'll have to see if my dad maybe has them.

You're welcome. No they never chewed the tape or liner , even after Boo dug all the litter & hay out.

This is like the stuff I used (just cos I had it in really but if its food safe & they don't chew it I can't imagine its a problem)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/First4Spares-Reusable-Teflon-Cooking-Coated/dp/B00VRRPE1U/ref=asc_df_B00VRRPE1U/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309865112359&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15333049925887583815&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006941&hvtargid=pla-737055700687&psc=1
Ooh, that's good to know that they never chewed it. Thank you for sharing the stuff you used for it.

Ooh, thank you! I didn't know drip trays were a thing that exist! They seem nice and low.

I've just had a quick search on 'high sided plastic litter tray' and it comes up with quite a few different styles, all with a lowered edge for the entrance
Ooh, that's odd. When I search using those words I only get ones that have the low side on the short end. Maybe we get different results because we're in different countries? Thank you for doing a quick search, though!

Last edited:
I ended up going for a small dog bed, and covered the holes in the bottom with thick plastic:

MCB7RLeh.jpg

They've both already used it and it works fine for them. It's obviously too small for a main litter tray, but it's fine just to use when they don't feel like sharing the big one.

Thank you again for the help, everybody! :love:

Back