• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe wooden toys/dens/ramps etc

Floppylop

Young Bun
Can anyone tell me if toddlers wooden toys are safe for rabbits, I assume they no longer have lead based paint for child safety,but is there any other issue, has anyone used childs toys coloured or otherwise

A difficult one to answer - I expect that is why you've no replies yet. As long as my bunnies weren't horrendous chewers I'd use toddlers toys - I'm sure safety standards will be a lot more stringent with baby than pet stuff. If they were big chewers I'd skip the painted stuff

I agree with J&B, mine are tentative nibblers at worst, although Chibbs will keep going if she finds something she likes :roll: I'd not hesitate to use kids' toys, but if I had a real chewer I'd probably sand the paint off first :lol:

Sorry to use your thread Floppylop, but it seemed unnecessary to open a new thread to ask the same thing... I'm currently browsing IKEA and wondering the same thing you are. I saw this and thought it could make a fun bunny toy if I attached greens to the wheel:

lustigt-rad__0877717_pe654208_s5.jpg

The UK site says it's made of: 'Birch plywood, Acrylic paint, Clear acrylic lacquer', and I'm worried about the paint and the lacquer (because I think birch is okay, right?), though I think IKEA childrens' toys are always made from non-toxic materials? But I'm not sure if that means bunny-safe as well, especially since I'd be putting food on it... :? It's probably not food safe... I think you kind of meant it as a joke, keletkezes, but would sanding off the paint and lacquer work?

Sorry to use your thread Floppylop, but it seemed unnecessary to open a new thread to ask the same thing... I'm currently browsing IKEA and wondering the same thing you are. I saw this and thought it could make a fun bunny toy if I attached greens to the wheel:

lustigt-rad__0877717_pe654208_s5.jpg

The UK site says it's made of: 'Birch plywood, Acrylic paint, Clear acrylic lacquer', and I'm worried about the paint and the lacquer (because I think birch is okay, right?), though I think IKEA childrens' toys are always made from non-toxic materials? But I'm not sure if that means bunny-safe as well, especially since I'd be putting food on it... :? It's probably not food safe... I think you kind of meant it as a joke, keletkezes, but would sanding off the paint and lacquer work?
The ply would be fine, I'm gunna assume the acrylic paint would be non toxic, most are nowadays anyway, but obviously Idk. Sanding it off would remove it, so yea imo [emoji38]

It's probably not food safe... I think you kind of meant it as a joke, keletkezes, but would sanding off the paint and lacquer work?
Not totally a joke TBH, more that I spend most of my volunteering time sanding (albeit metal) so I've got quite good at it! Plus I have lots of sandpaper. Acrylic is usually OK, there's some harmful colours but they're usually reds and oranges and I don't think they'd be used by Ikea anyway, they're expensive. Bunny food isn't food safe arguably so it should be fine :)

Thank you for your replies, Graciee and keletkezes. :) So, you both think it would probably be okay... If I'd decide to sand off the lacquer and paint, would that be a lot of work? I've never really sanded anything; I'm not much of a DIY-er. :lol: I know you have those machine thingies that you can use (see? I'm an expert!), but I don't have one of those. Maybe it would be a better idea to ask my dad to make one. It seems pretty simple, just a base and a stick thingie and a wheel, and he's much better at DIY stuff... I will give this some thought. Thank you again. :)

Mechanical sanding can be just as hard as hand sanding IME, you've got to be relatively strong to control the machine and press down the right amount (not too hard, not too soft). It's really vibraty and horrible too :lol: Hand sanding gives you more control and I find it much easier but it's much more time-consuming. TBH making one is probably less effort XD

Oh, no, mechanical sanding sounds terrible. But I'm not sure I want to spend lots of time hand sanding, either; that sounds painful for my poor, weak arms, so, yes, making one myself (asking my dad, I mean :lol:) is probably easier... Thank you for helping, keletkezes. I think I've decided on asking my dad to make me one. :lol:

Sorry again for using your thread, Floppylop!

Back