• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do Rabbits See the World ?

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
VkdyRKH.jpg

I wish I could see inside my bunny's head. I always wonder what he's thinking. :D

Wow that's really interesting. I had no idea their vision was so different to ours - not that I have ever given it any serious thought, apart from when my Bridge Bun Daisy had her eye removed. Is it the same for guinea-pigs? Mr Salted Caramel only has one eye now but seems to manage absolutely fine and is still difficult to catch at cleaning out time.

Ooh, I've seen this before somewhere. It's so interesting! I've always wondered if the fact that they can see better than us in low lighting means that lighting that might be okay for us is really bright to them. I know Sophie is sensitive to bright light, but maybe that's because her eyes are red, I'm not sure...

This is a good illustration. The blind spot in front of their nose explains why many bunnies do not like a hand to be there.

I know they can’t have too bad eyesight as my rabbit tried to attack the red dot from the cats' laser pointer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr Salted Caramel only has one eye now but seems to manage absolutely fine and is still difficult to catch at cleaning out time.

I have a three legged bunny who’s still hard to catch [emoji38] she actually seems faster than the others sometimes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had an albino (ruby eyed white/REW) Rex (RIP Luna, I still miss you and think of you every day) and she had poor eyesight. Sometimes she almost seemed blind. She would hop around with her eyes almost closed on sunny days because the light hurt her pale eyes :(
86322f9419947ef934471d1fcba86843.jpg

Aboleth only had one eye but was never hand-shy, she just didn't realise you had treats if you approached her from that side, and couldn't be doing with people being high up :lol: Poor girl, I'm glad she went when she did in a way because she'd never have coped with all the renovations we're having because they're all high up! She'd've gone absolutely mental :love: She loved a good face rub on her blind side :D

This is a good illustration. The blind spot in front of their nose explains why many bunnies do not like a hand to be there.

It also explains why a lot of treat holding fingers get bitten :D

but how do we know this?!

Some things are easily explained, like, all directions you can only see one bunny eye from are 2D only, for depht perception you need two pictures. All directions you can see any eye is their field of view, light gets bent a lot into the eye ball when hitting at a shallow angle, we can see more than 180° too, not in much detail, but we notice motion well enough at the fringes of our field of vision.

For other things, like colour perception experiments work (treat under blue or red cup), or looking about what cells the retina is made up with. That also gives clues about the resolution.

Back