• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye problem

I just noticed Chucks right eye is huge compared to the other one which is normal, also it looks clear, like I can see through it, I can’t see his beautiful brown eye [emoji3064][emoji3064][emoji3064] , he’s my only bun and I’ve had him 6 years now. Never had any trouble accept an abscess on his jaw which went away quickly with antibiotics. The vets here are super expensive and on top of that, not many are “exotic”, but I’m still looking. I might have to travel out of the city, and my car is broken so I’m a little freaked out. He is acting totally fine, his usual self. Doesn’t “seem” to bother him but IDK cause I’m not a bunny and I know he won’t exactly show me he’s in pain either if he is. Does anyone know of anything I can do until I find a place that has the credentials to help him. Are there eye drops or eye wash or something, IDK what will it won’t irritate him. Since last night I’ve been monitoring him and there’s no oozing from the eye?! Any help would be great, please be kind, I’m super scared and don’t wanna be yelled at for having a house bun. Some people don’t like that I have a bun inside the house with me.
Idk how old he was when we purchased him, he’s been fixed, I’ve had him for 6 years now, he weighs about 4 lbs (I think is what he weighed in last visit), regular diet , greens , fruits, Timothy hay, fresh water. He’s a Lion Head Bunny(? Not sure if that’s his official breed or just a name). TIA folks. I look forward to hearing from y’all. Ciao [emoji853]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e974e1ed773ff6f50506630048e554e6.jpg

It looks like an over sized marble.
e5758abd49b50a005c28f24d52eca12d.jpg

I’m sorry that Chuck is having an eye problem. No one here will judge you for having a house bunny. I for one, have two abs many ru members are proud to have house buns.
I’m not really an expert on ophthalmics but personally I would get Chuck to a vet as a matter of urgency. I appreciate that costs are involved but a vet needs to be hands on with an assessment for Chuck to determine what might be the issue.
Sending loads of vibes for Chuck and hope you can update the thread when you have a diagnosis.
Craig.

Chuck is beautiful. I'm sorry he has a problem with his eye. I honestly wouldn't try any home treatments. I can't imagine anything topical working as if the eye is bulging it is from pressure within. It sounds really stressful trying to find a good vet there but I'd keep up with the search & het Chuck seen as soon as you can. I had a bunny with similar - she had an abscess behing her eye. Her eye was removed & she was fine. I'm sure there are other causes / reasons though. Good luck

Given his history of having a jaw abscess I suspect the problem now may be a retrobulbar abscess. Home treatments are not an option.

*WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES ON LINK*

http://marshlandsvets.co.uk/2019/04/17/eye-abscesses-in-rabbits/#1555485599021-69999f39-083b

I hope that you can locate a Vet ASAP. If you are in the USA take a look on here

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thank you kindly for this information . I have not been so lucky to find a vet. I’m arranging to travel if need be. [emoji1374]

Thank You to All who have taken the time to offer advice and comfort. As of yet I haven’t found someone who either wants to, or can serve my “Doo” . [emoji3064], calling and making arrangements to travel if need be. I appreciate all the support. It’s means a ton to me and Chuckadoo both!

Will a regular Ol’ vet see him for the time being? [emoji848]

Just thinking it might be better to get him seen to even if the individual isn’t rabbit savvy and if you find somewhere better in the mean time...then perfect! Just thinking the sooner the better honestly...

Back