• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not sure if I should worry or not!

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
I will say - I do obsess over my animals in turn, I tend to be hypervigilant, but when I get doubts I can't trust my judgement.
I don't know if I should be worried about Odin or not. First off - he is eating well, pooing well, and peeing well, and none of this has ever changed since he arrived, so there are no urgent concerns.
He never seems to gain weight. He was very lean when he came to us, put on a bit as he switched to a fresh forage diet, but over the winter has not held this - they both struggled with weight during bonding if only because of incessant humping, but never stopped eating the same amounts. But whereas Freja has continued to put on weight and grow a lot since they settled down, Odin is not. He is very fit and solid, but there is not an ounce of fat on him and he'd be lean on the condition scale. I do wonder if he'll pick up come spring/summer when he can go back on a wild diet, he does better on the days we can forage well enough to give them a good meal.
I have discovered a little bald heel, the beginnings of sore hocks. They have padded/soft flooring and bedding everywhere except travel areas ie through tunnels which are stone or concrete. I'm not sure how I could pad all of these out, they are outside so get wet etc but I'm looking into it - maybe horse mats. Is there anything that can be used on the hock itself to help it strengthen and heal and regrow hair? I use neem on the ponies for baldy bits but not keen on putting it on him.
I've never been entirely sure about his back/back legs. There was a little comment (after we'd adopted him) from one of the members of staff who said she was never sure he didn't walk funny, and it's made me paranoid watching him. He does tend to hop with both feet together, but he is also capable of walking and running with a 4 step stride. BUT he is very active, jumps very happily up and down and uses steps and ramps with no trouble. Their enclosure is specifically designed to encourage whole body exercise, and he is very active when he is active. He is only about 18 months but I don't know his history so I do worry there is some arthritis setting in.
He sleeps a lot, and sleeps like the dead! Has always spent most of the day dead to the world, and has reverted to this now fully bonded. Freja mostly joins him, but is more awake, and often is just grooming him while he sleeps through. He mostly sleeps in a loaf, though he will stretch out on his side or tummy, but this might be a winter thing - he used to stretch out more when it was warmer, and Freja is the same.
The past few days we've seen caecals - only a few, only once a day, and not every day, hubby saw him eating them once from the litter tray. I think I have seen him eating them directly but I'm not 100% sure. It possibly tallies with introducing dried strawberry leaves, but I wouldn't have expected this to be an issue as they still have fresh strawberry leaves in the garden so it's not a new food.
And lastly, he used to be very snuffly, and tended to get mild runny eyes - always cleared up within an hour or two, so other than a check when he was at the vets for other things we've never had them checked specifically. This has almost entirely resolved with a change in bedding, he was reacting to the wood. He used to be very loud when eating, but now is silent other than when he's been rooting around in a snuffle box and clearly got hay dust up his nose - we thought it was happy noises, but realise it wasn't and set to observing until we worked out it was an allergy. Occasionally he wakes up with slightly weepy eyes- like sleepy eyes - but they clear very quickly, is this still a worry, or can they just have sleepy eyes like we do?
No indication of any teeth trouble, he eats anything and everything, hard, soft, crunchy, in between.
Sorry it's a long post, but I've been watching him for so long I would just like to hear other thoughts on some of it, because it's hard to compare when he's the first, and Freja is a different creature entirely!
I could probably find a video of him moving if it helps?

Just read on RWAF that occasional caecotrophs are ok, so I'm a bit happier on that front, and that hocks often have a bald patch covered by a fold of hair - which is probably what is there now, it's not really red or sore, just bald. I'll keep a close eye on it obviously, but maybe it isn't as worrying as I thought? Going to clip nails too so I know it isn't that making them lean back on their hocks too much.

Just a couple of quick responses:
- weigh him weekly so you can monitor his weight. If it drops consistently over 2 or 3 weeks, investigate.
- check his nails & cut them if needed, so his weight distribution is as it should be on his nocks / feet.
- I assume he is grooming himself OK? Not being able to groom some areas properly is an indication of something wrong (teeth, arthritis, etc)

Another brief reply and sorry cannot see to read your full post

Hip dysplasia is a genetic defect seen in Continental and Flemish Giants.

Congenital Heart Disease too

These are the two things I would want investigated if poor weight maintenance, any respiratory symptoms/lethargy/poor exercise tolerance and mobility issues continue

So, after the unusual wet nose that we had 2/7 ago, Odin went to the vets today for a thorough MOT. She said his eyes are clear, drainage both sides seems to be clear, nostrils are clear. She could hear the very slight wheeze but said his chest sounds were perfect, so it is coming from his nose which is a relief. He refused point blank to let her look at his teeth, but she coudn't feel anything from the outside other than a soft swelling under his chin which Freja doesn't have, which she thought was his scent gland - is it normal for bucks to have bigger scent glands?

He has lost weight since he was last in, which was not a surprise, but I know he is better than he was last week so I'm going to find some method of weighing him reliably and keep an eye on it - we bought scales but they were just not big enough and the buns won't stay in! I'm not sure why he lost weight, but as there is nothing else of concern we are just going to monitor it for now. It could be simply that he has decided to moult in the coldest part of the winter!

She agreed that his eyes/nose are most likely allergy related and has said we can try him with piriton, 2mg twice a day or as needed, and see if that helps. I'm going to try a 2 week trial and if he has no symptoms in that time then decide whether we keep him on it (not keen on that but happy for input) or just use it as and when he needs it.

She has also given the go ahead to trial metacam for a few days to see if anything changes in his mobility, because I'm not convinced he isn't a little stiff somewhere, and I'm wondering if that might be affecting his appetite even if it doesn't appear to be.

On the plus side, Freja was a little superstar and let them microchip her with no bother, apparently she came out and was asking for cuddles and fuss which was amazing to hear!!

Rups is very lean too and doesnt put on weight easily. We have him on readigrass which helps. He also gets sore hocks from being on the carpets - it seems they walk differently on carpet rather than earth, so I am interested to see how you go on with Odin's hocks. I weight mine in the pet carrier and use a suitcase thingy - not hugely accurate but good enough for until he goes to the vets.

Rups is very lean too and doesnt put on weight easily. We have him on readigrass which helps. He also gets sore hocks from being on the carpets - it seems they walk differently on carpet rather than earth, so I am interested to see how you go on with Odin's hocks. I weight mine in the pet carrier and use a suitcase thingy - not hugely accurate but good enough for until he goes to the vets.

Thanks, I'm just looking at digital luggage scales now, I just need to find something to put him in safely to use them!

His hock I think is actually fine, I've been looking closely and it is never red or sore, just a little bald, but after reading more it sounds like it is still within the normal, well hidden by a flap of thick hair. We are just trying to get them out in the big garden as much as possible so they get a bigger variety of exercise and surfaces, and he responds well to that.

Thanks, I'm just looking at digital luggage scales now, I just need to find something to put him in safely to use them!

His hock I think is actually fine, I've been looking closely and it is never red or sore, just a little bald, but after reading more it sounds like it is still within the normal, well hidden by a flap of thick hair. We are just trying to get them out in the big garden as much as possible so they get a bigger variety of exercise and surfaces, and he responds well to that.

What about the crate you use for the vets?

What about the crate you use for the vets?

It's a big dog crate, too big to see even on my human scales. I'm looking at trying to find a big enough plastic box wth a secure lid to use instead, with holes in the lid, but anything we have for the vets is huge as they both go in together.

My human scales are probably not sensitive enough tbh, and they're not very easy to see (old dial type, not digital). Cardboard box big enough for him would be too big to see on the scales again, same as dog crate.
I'm thinking huge hessian shopping bag and luggage scale...

We have digital scales that have a baby mode.

So you weigh yourself then step back on with bunny and it weighs them.

Not actually tried it but would imagine it would work ok with a carrier if you included it in the first stepping on.

Downside is you're also very aware of lockdown weight...

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'll go scales shoppng tomorrow when my brain is more capable and see what I can find. Don't really want anything big, we have very little space, so I'll find something that doesn't take up space but does the job.

Most half-decent digital bathroom scales aren't bigger than 1' square and some are an inch thick :thumb: Good luck!

Most half-decent digital bathroom scales aren't bigger than 1' square and some are an inch thick :thumb: Good luck!

Yes but a foot square isnt big enough for my rabbits!! I don't want new bathroom scales anyway, mine have got little yellow ducks on, I quite like them :lol:

Yes but a foot square isnt big enough for my rabbits!! I don't want new bathroom scales anyway, mine have got little yellow ducks on, I quite like them [emoji38]
Could you get some baby scales on amazon? They work for my big bun, although she's not as big as yours, but they'd definitely work on a bigger rabbit, they are long :)

Where are the duck human scales from? Asking for a friend ;) [emoji38]
Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yes but a foot square isnt big enough for my rabbits!! I don't want new bathroom scales anyway, mine have got little yellow ducks on, I quite like them :lol:

Back