• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lillian health update- at vets 7th january

Sending more hugs and vibes!

Hopefully a swift recovery for her.

Just a thought with the warmer weather before the cold snap a lot of my bulbs have started coming through.

Could the bulbs be making a reappearance? Some of them can be so hard to get rid of.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I'm glad they could see her so early, and that she'll be cared for at the vets until you can pick her up. I'm so sorry she's having another episode, though, when she was doing so well... Poor Lillian. So many vibes for her. I hope she'll feel better very soon.

Aw so sorry to hear Lilian and you guys had such a bad night.

Good that you got her seen so soon though! Hope she is feeling much better when she comes home.

Sending you vibes and hugz xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Quick update for everybun. Just spoke to the nurse looking after Lillian. Well, they have manually expressed pee from Lillian and the nurse said there was quite a lot. That explains the discomfort she has been in since 11:30pm last night. And as a result Lillian is much more comfortable. Poor little Lillian - must have been so painful for her. She’s had some meds but the nurse wants to see Lillian having a pee herself and some poop would be nice as Lillian isn’t eating or showing interest in food. She did monch on some parsley last night and gobbled some cranberries this morning but she’s not eaten anything substantial since yesterday evening so the nurse will syringe feed her and the nurse said that she had an apple for lunch and is donating some if that to Lillian!
She is in very safe hands for sure but there’s a whopping bill coming - but my priority is Lillian’s well-being and recovery. She was clearly struggling last night and poor thing is knackered from the discomfort and shuffling all night so it’s vital to get that stabilised and Lillian on the road to recovery. All being well we should collect her tonight. I’ll update you all then.

Poor little Lillian bunny [emoji22] Sounds as if she has been in so much pain. So happy she is getting so well cared for though. You are wonderful parents! [emoji7]
So stressful for you though!

Sending hugz and smiles that Lillian is sounding better. Woop woop!! [emoji175]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Oh poor Lillian :( I hope she gets through this episode fast, did you find out if a plant was causing the issue? xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Vet just rung and I’ve had a very detailed chat with her. Lillian’s being discharged at 4pm.
She isn’t eating her hay but I explained she’s a bit fussy and prefers fresh herbs and greens so as long as we monitor her eating.
She’s had diazepam iv and pain relief and gut stimulant via iv. She peed on the nurse voluntarily - but then the nurse expressed the remaining pee in her bladder (Lillian’s bladder, not the nurses). The pee was normal healthy pee- very positive sign.
Lillian is a bit zonked out from diazepam but we’ll monitor her tonight - looks like I’m on the sofa again. But I’m furloughed as of Thursday so I’ll have nana naps then. Lillian’s well-being before mine.
Will update when she’s home and thank you all for your vibes.

Poor girl. She must be so tired from all of this, yes... :( It sounds like you have a great vet and nurse looking after her, which must be a comfort, at least. Lots more vibes for Lillian. I hope she'll feel better quickly.

Really pleased she is doing better Craig, I really feel for you and Lillian starting the year off with another vet visit. Sending loads more vibes xxx

Quick 6pm update. Lillian looks completely knackered. I'll post a photo later when I've woken myself up. She is lying flat out head next to the food plate with a very exhausted look. She can barely keep her head up - she is leaning it slightly but this is purely because she is so tired and the diazipam has completely knocked her sideways. She is, however, comfortable and is able to sit still. She scoffed some fresh herbs when I got home - pretty much just shoving her nose into the plate and eating some fresh herbs. But not really any great appetite as I can see. Leo decided to scoff all the pellets that were out - he is pleased she is home but he's not really sitting next to her. She is very very sleepy and if I'm honest, if I'd got home from work and found her like this I'd be doing an emergency dash to the vets but I know this is purely meds. It always takes it out of Lillian and it's quite upsetting to see her like this. That said, the meds will do what they are supposed to do and it is giving her body time to recover. It doesn't make it any easier on us as carers. You can't tell Lillian that this is for her own benefit - she just looks and probably feels pretty rough.
We'll giver her the usual meds tonight as best we can and the meds - spcifically the diazipam will take all night to wear off. I just wish I could just dive in there and make her feel bright and perky again, but nature must do this in her own time.
I am so grateful for everyones vibes - they made a huge difference. It's not Lillians fault, but it would be interesting to know how this flare up was initiated. There might have been a rugue triffid in the garden so as soon as the rain stops here then I'll go and investigate. But Lillian has been so happy and healthy for the last 8 weeks exactly so this was a real shock.
Getting her to the vets as quickly as we did should have given Lillian a better chance of a quicker recovery and obviously the vets were able to get treatment into Lillian 8 hours after the spasms began. I feel guilty for not taking her to the emergency vets at midnight - it's always one of those dilemas you wrestle with. As carer I have a responsibility to get Lillian treated as quicly as possible to avoid suffering but I wanted to ensure she had continuity with the vets that have been treating her.
I'll closely monitor Lillian tonight and sleep downstairs on the sofa so I can be near her and observe.
Not the way I wanted to start 2021 and hen I find out I'm being furloughed on Thursday for the next 7 weeks at least and I'm at the end of my patience with this lockdown malarky.
Thank you everyone once again for all your support
Craig xx

It's so understandable that it's upsetting to see poor Lillian like this... Hopefully she'll have more energy once the diazepam wears off. I know deciding between emergency vets right away or waiting for the regular vet in the morning is a hard decision, but I understand your decision to wait so she could be seen by her own vet. I don't think that was a bad decision, as her own vet knows her best, and knows her history and knows what she needs in this situation. I can relate to the guilt, though. Sending Lillian many more vibes. I'm glad she's home and comfortable. :love:

Aww poor Lillian, I have my fingers crossed that all goes well tonight and Lillian and you can get some much needed sleep!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back