• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Take Two Fingers Crossed

Actually the no pellets diet started because Primrose couldn't even eat one without going into stasis - took is 3 lots of stasis to work out what was causing it and she also couldn't tolerate anything sugary at all.

I've just never got round to restarting them, I thought about getting the indoor ones but was going to ask the vet about them and keep forgetting.

Rodney has had a bad year for stasis, we've had him three years and this past 12 months is the only time we've had trouble.

The first episode he had a massive triple hair poop plugging him up and needed his first dental in June.

He had a small bout after loosing Primrose but we managed that one at home effectively.

The third was after Blossom bit him during their fight which is fair enough really.

This time I can only conclude it's impacted hair and stress unless the vet finds something else.

Me and my regular vet often joke that shaving him may be the solution to all our woes.

Although we didnt get a post mortem Primrose died during his moult and the vet was convinced it was a matt of his hair causing her blockage.

I brush him every day as much as he'll tolerate but it never seems to be enough.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I wouldnt be surprised I've been really anxious in general lately and struggling with it.

I try and keep calm for them especially when I'm in the room but I'm sure he can read it anyway. He knows me very well as we spend every morning or evening together.

He's my little work buddy.

Vet Update:

Rodney is eating voluntarily although not loads it's a good sign.

Very little in terms of gut noises still but hopeful that this will kick in by morning as he does have some pellets ready to pass.

He is also getting feisty with the syringes [emoji23] I did forget to warn them about that!

We'll have an update in the morning and then see where to go from there, they'd like to do his dental as they can see some spurs but the risk of a ga right now isn't great.

Vet Update:

Rodney is eating voluntarily although not loads it's a good sign.

Very little in terms of gut noises still but hopeful that this will kick in by morning as he does have some pellets ready to pass.

He is also getting feisty with the syringes [emoji23] I did forget to warn them about that!

We'll have an update in the morning and then see where to go from there, they'd like to do his dental as they can see some spurs but the risk of a ga right now isn't great.

I'm really glad to read that he's eating by himself now. What a good boy :love:

I realise the concern re a GA right now, but could it be the spurs that have prompted this episode?

I'm really glad to read that he's eating by himself now. What a good boy :love:

I realise the concern re a GA right now, but could it be the spurs that have prompted this episode?

My thoughts too. Fingers crossed the meds will kick in and he will be feeling better tomorrow xx

I think it's likely. Thinking back to his first episode it followed a similar pattern with being selective with greens.

Then progressed to a slow gut at which point we got referred to our current vet and they immediately did a dental and bladder rinse?

That time we'd been medicating and syring feeding him for about a month before hand and he recovered well from the ga.

Hopefully we'll be able to pick him up tomorrow and support him here. Its tiring but I do like to nurse them if I can.

I think we'll take Blossom to pick him up with us and see how they get on if he's up to it.

Thank you for all the vibes!

Update isn't fantastic this morning, Rodney is bright and well in himself and giving them lots of sass still and running riot in his kennel.

However he still hasn't passed any poo at all, although they can still feel some in his lower gut so hopefully will make an appearance soon with all of the gut meds.

He is still nibbling food and nurses apparently so that's something.

I'm glad he's bright and nibbling food, but I'm sorry the rest of the update isn't as positive. I hope the gut meds will do their thing soon and stuff will get moving. Sending Rodney many more vibes.

I'm really fretting that I didnt insist the vets keep Blossom as well. The vet was concerned that the stress from living with an unbonded partner was a contributing factor.

But I'm really worried Rodney might just give up without a bunny friend. I know sometimes just having another bun nearby can make that difference.

I didnt have anything scented for either of them to have for comfort from because I'd literally washed all of their soft things and they didn't have any in the bonding cage to prevent Rodney hoarding it.

If he's not on a drip later I might ask if she can join him for support even if I have to pay for her to stay if they have enough space.

I'm really fretting that I didnt insist the vets keep Blossom as well. The vet was concerned that the stress from living with an unbonded partner was a contributing factor.

But I'm really worried Rodney might just give up without a bunny friend. I know sometimes just having another bun nearby can make that difference.

I didnt have anything scented for either of them to have for comfort from because I'd literally washed all of their soft things and they didn't have any in the bonding cage to prevent Rodney hoarding it.

If he's not on a drip later I might ask if she can join him for support even if I have to pay for her to stay if they have enough space.

I assume that there's no poo yet? Do you know whether they giving him fluids? They are sometimes helpful.

We have poo!!!

He has done some completely normal? poos while the vet was examining him. They can feel some more and his gut sounds are now much improved.

He is on iv fluids as well as the gut meds and liquid feed although he is eating fairly well himself.

They're going to keep him on those and see how he goes overnight. We'll likely have him home tomorrow afternoon if he stays stable.

The vet and I are both struggling with whether to give him a dental or not, he definitely has spurs but no tongue or mouth redness. The risk being that the ga puts him straight back into stasis.

So for now the plan is to have him home tomorrow and keep up his regime and then probably look at the dental next week once his guts have been active for longer. In the meantime he'll be on a fairly high metacam level.

In terms of Blossom the vet recommended we pop them back in the neutral pen with a barrier initially to see how they react and if we're seeing grooming etc then to let them be together to support each other.

Blossom is definitely seeming a bit miserable without him. Rodney on the other hand is apparently in fine spirits and approaching everyone coming to his kennel with eagerness until they pick him up at least.

Back