• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus very ill :(

Well done Atticus, keep it coming ! Hope you get a less stressful day today Graciee, and hope Evelyn feeling better too xx

Good work Gracie and Atticus. I agree with JJ that you could benefit from an emergency supply of meds ,fluids and needles. I always ask for some for winter blizzards and OOH. With covid it makes more sense. I considered bg myself too and look to Jane for advice on how she would get blood from a small bunny-especially dark colored one.
I hope you can get rest and Evelyn has improved too.

So glad to see things are moving for Atticus and hope it continues! :thumb:

My word, they remind me of my mom's gallstones! :shock:

Well done!

Hopefully the output continues and the nibbles increase!

Sending vibes and nose bumps from us.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

For everyone's viewing pleasure [emoji38] there's still a lot more to come unfortunately tho :( also Michaels hand not mine, I said I couldn't believe he just picked it up like that bleughh. Also as you can imagine, it smells fantastic [emoji38]

He's also gotta go back to the vets, there's blood coming out of the port on the catheter :/ Michaels taking him, he's gunna tell them to just remove it and we are gunna go back to sub cut fluids, can't be dealing with this anymore, I've literally never had so many issues with an ear catheter before in my life, they're temperamental sometimes, sure.. But not like this. I'm tempted to use my other vets to get one put in, but his ears need a break I think :(

I'm sure William would be fine with that tbh, only issue is meds and expiry dates I'm thinking. Like having to use them within so long of opening etc, this current vets decants everything too, which is worse still, my other vets gives the proper bottles so that's a bit better. Maybe I'll ask if I can buy a set in the proper bottles and leave them unopened.
31d7c6e1a2c96433374ad684ac262449.jpg
21351f6b2c0e908445091e5a4df037b3.jpg
7678f23d376b29ce051abc232d36a33c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Atticus might be the toughest bun I have ever known! He’s a warrior. Sending lots of vibes and I hope it all passes soon xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know you are a true bunny owner when you can eat your lunch whilst looking at Atticus ceco surprises

well done Atticus. Keep up the pooping work!

Good idea giving ears a break.
As said earlier BP is taken from the leg with a cuff like in humans.
Definately offer to pay for more needles, and maybe even request a sharps bin (or buy one from a pharmacy and return it to pharmacy once full)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Atticus might be the toughest bun I have ever known! He’s a warrior. Sending lots of vibes and I hope it all passes soon xx

Yea, he really goes through it :( thanks xx

You know you are a true bunny owner when you can eat your lunch whilst looking at Atticus ceco surprises

Haha yea that's definitely a good gauge [emoji38]
Wow :shock: better out than in [emoji38]
I know, I think it'll get worse before it gets better too [emoji51] last time was horrendous, I was pregnant and the smell.. I found just giving him his meds so hard, felt like I was gunna be sick like constantly [emoji51][emoji38]

well done Atticus. Keep up the pooping work!

Good idea giving ears a break.
As said earlier BP is taken from the leg with a cuff like in humans.
Definately offer to pay for more needles, and maybe even request a sharps bin (or buy one from a pharmacy and return it to pharmacy once full)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

That's a good idea, I actually have one, because I had to inject myself after having Evelyn so I have this yellow plastic bin thing which I was meant to put the needles in then return to a pharmacy, but never got round to doing so, there's space in it, so I'll use that. Thanks :)

Atticus is home again, no catheter, I'm just gunna leave him for a bit I think [emoji51] poor boy

You can buy needles and syringes much cheaper online. I buy mine from here

https://www.medisave.co.uk/consumables-general-supplies/injection-infusion.html
Ooo thanks! I need to check what gauge the green butterfly needles are, Idk why but I much prefer using them to the needle just on the end of the syringe

My other vet has mentioned about getting a blood glucose machine to me before and checking at home when needed for all of them. I just never pulled the trigger on it, Idk why, I know how to do it, I just Idk [emoji51] William wasn't interested in Atticus' though this time around anyway, because he says it's not a traditional blockage/obstruction?

Apparently the vet nurse said he was cold when he had his catheter removed, not sure what to do about that, I have snuggle safes but Idk if he'd lay on one tbh, he like to be stretched out in and empty litter tray atm.

He has nibbled some more greens which is positive :)

Oh bless him, at least its coming out ! you are doing a great job Graciee x
Thanks, that's really kind of you to say, I was a bit burnt out last night before bed, Evelyn was being clingy and only wanted me, I was so tired and stressed, I feel a bit better after sleeping a little but now I'm not feeling well on top of everything else, I didn't really eat yesterday, which is so dumb, I just didn't have the time, but I can't look after Evelyn and the buns if I'm a complete disaster, like last night I felt like I'd just run out of well everything, hard to explain but I didn't have enough in me to be good at anything and felt like giving up. Seems silly now, things are more under control again, Evelyn had a good nights sleep so is feeling much better, Atticus has started passing so that's positive, I've eaten pasta and mango so I'm feeling really good on the food front now [emoji38] I gotta remember to put my oxygen mask on first in these kinda situations I think [emoji38] feel bad for Michael though, he's been working non stop, only had two hours sleep :( having a sick kid and sick animals is like a mad experience [emoji51]

Thanks, that's really kind of you to say, I was a bit burnt out last night before bed, Evelyn was being clingy and only wanted me, I was so tired and stressed, I feel a bit better after sleeping a little but now I'm not feeling well on top of everything else, I didn't really eat yesterday, which is so dumb, I just didn't have the time, but I can't look after Evelyn and the buns if I'm a complete disaster, like last night I felt like I'd just run out of well everything, hard to explain but I didn't have enough in me to be good at anything and felt like giving up. Seems silly now, things are more under control again, Evelyn had a good nights sleep so is feeling much better, Atticus has started passing so that's positive, I've eaten pasta and mango so I'm feeling really good on the food front now [emoji38] I gotta remember to put my oxygen mask on first in these kinda situations I think [emoji38] feel bad for Michael though, he's been working non stop, only had two hours sleep :( having a sick kid and sick animals is like a mad experience [emoji51]

Everything always feels a thousand times worse when you haven't slept, glad you got some rest and have eaten more today. You look after yourself too Graciee xx

Back