• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus very ill :(

A schedule is the only thing that helped us keep on track with Rodney's month of meds and feeds.

At one point I was keeping a poo diary as everything melded together in my head.

Hopefully they'll improve together and things will ease up for you.

Send lots of vibes!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Urgh, so the ear catheter they put in, water just leaked out everywhere when I put it in, so took him back, they put in a different type.. Get home, the old catheter they removed is laying in the carrier covered in blood [emoji849] go to use the new one, way to much resistance, then water just came back up out the top of it... Now they want me to bring him back again.. I'm kinda annoyed, because I've done this so many times, and I've never had such an issue. Yesterday they weren't comfortable putting one in, today they've put two in that don't work.. He hasn't moved them because they've taped both his ears together and can't actually get to it [emoji849] so today he's had no fluids now, whereas yesterday he had lots under the skin and tbh it just works :/ so gotta take him back again. I have to say I'm not at all impressed with the care he's received, other than from William obviously, which is always excellent. It's not like round the corner either [emoji849] just don't need this honestly

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Urgh, so the ear catheter they put in, water just leaked out everywhere when I put it in, so took him back, they put in a different type.. Get home, the old catheter they removed is laying in the carrier covered in blood [emoji849] go to use the new one, way to much resistance, then water just came back up out the top of it... Now they want me to bring him back again.. I'm kinda annoyed, because I've done this so many times, and I've never had such an issue. Yesterday they weren't comfortable putting one in, today they've put two in that don't work.. He hasn't moved them because they've taped both his ears together and can't actually get to it [emoji849] so today he's had no fluids now, whereas yesterday he had lots under the skin and tbh it just works :/ so gotta take him back again. I have to say I'm not at all impressed with the care he's received, other than from William obviously, which is always excellent. It's not like round the corner either [emoji849] just don't need this honestly

Personally I’d just carry on with sub cut fluids. His poor ear is gonna be so sore :cry:

That doesn't sound like great care from the vets, no. No wonder you're not at all impressed with it. It just adds more stress for poor Atticus, too, your having to keep taking him back because they didn't do it right the first time.

Yea idek, my mums taking him for me, so I don't have to take Evelyn out again which is helpful because it's pouring with rain. So we'll see, if they can get it working then great, otherwise I've just said to my mum to tell them to remove it.

IMO IV fluids are only better than sub q if bunny is too ill to absorb sub q, or for quicker hydration.. In most cases sub q is just as good.
I would not worry about needle pokes. You did an awsome job getting him this far and he is a tough fellow.
Your mom is to be commended for taking Atticus to the vets. Perhaps she can comfort Evelyn while you eat a few feet away. Sending good thoughts.

How do you check blood pressure in rabbits? Apparently that's why his ear catheter isn't working well? He has high blood pressure..? :S vet nurse said that. He's home with a really loose ear bandage [emoji849]

How do you check blood pressure in rabbits? Apparently that's why his ear catheter isn't working well? He has high blood pressure..? :S vet nurse said that. He's home with a really loose ear bandage [emoji849]

Same as you would for any other animal but its a PITA.

Catheters in rabbits are generally annoying as they can blow very quickly (which is what it sounds like the 2nd one done). Also they can be knocked out easily when taping them which might be whats happening if the person doing it isn't careful when taping up.

Personally I'd just stick to the sub cut fluids if he's not bothered by the needle.
Use fresh needle each time and try to use different places each time to help reduce the bruising.

Sending more vibes.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Sending more vibes for Atticus. Lillian and Leo send gentle nose rubs and hope Atticus has a comfortable night.
Your coping amazingly well with baby and a poorly Atticus and also not forgetting Penelope. Xx

Same as you would for any other animal but its a PITA.

Catheters in rabbits are generally annoying as they can blow very quickly (which is what it sounds like the 2nd one done). Also they can be knocked out easily when taping them which might be whats happening if the person doing it isn't careful when taping up.

Personally I'd just stick to the sub cut fluids if he's not bothered by the needle.
Use fresh needle each time and try to use different places each time to help reduce the bruising.

Sending more vibes.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

How would she know his blood pressure tho? I'm confused.

I really just think they don't know what they're doing there tbh [emoji51] we've had catheter issues before, but never had them not working at all, ever. Last time there was that much pressure I took him back (different vets) and they said yea it needs replacing, that's not right. The catheter he's got in now is a new type I've never had before, which they've said water can come back out of the top because its loose? Whatever that means [emoji849]

I've got a couple of needles, not enough for one use only tho, it's ridiculous, on Sunday they gave me one needle for 5 uses :/ by the 5th it was so blunt. I've managed to get a couple more today, so I may just switch.. I know it must cost, but they really don't like giving out needles [emoji849] I wouldn't even care if they charged for them, just give me enough!

Sending more vibes for Atticus. Lillian and Leo send gentle nose rubs and hope Atticus has a comfortable night.
Your coping amazingly well with baby and a poorly Atticus and also not forgetting Penelope. Xx

Thanks Craig, it's really tough, Penelope is doing well thankfully, although still stiff William is going to talk to the surgeon about that, that's a whole other saga [emoji38] xx

Aww I hope getting the fluids will help.

Sending more vibes your way.

Don't know if you can for needles but I've now got a stock of syringes for meds and feeding from online as they never gave me enough at the vets.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Bless you, I'm sorry it's been so difficult with the vets. We do blood pressure checks at work, just with a cuff like humans but on the leg!

How would she know his blood pressure tho? I'm confused.

I really just think they don't know what they're doing there tbh [emoji51] we've had catheter issues before, but never had them not working at all, ever. Last time there was that much pressure I took him back (different vets) and they said yea it needs replacing, that's not right. The catheter he's got in now is a new type I've never had before, which they've said water can come back out of the top because its loose? Whatever that means [emoji849]

I've got a couple of needles, not enough for one use only tho, it's ridiculous, on Sunday they gave me one needle for 5 uses :/ by the 5th it was so blunt. I've managed to get a couple more today, so I may just switch.. I know it must cost, but they really don't like giving out needles [emoji849] I wouldn't even care if they charged for them, just give me enough!

No one ever took a bp on any of my bunnies, though I was told my bunnies were not candidates for ear catheter. Sub q will work fine. I give in area below neck -scruff?-where vet said less sensitive.
I always have extra needles for emergencies and so I can easily access another if I get a dull one or need a different size. My vets charges me very little for them. Even new needles can be dull or have a burr, and males have thicker skin than females so reuse tends to dull the needles quicker. I also live in a state that has a syringe access program that allows pharmacies to dispense up to 10 needles a day to anyone over age 18 without a prescription. I had to access needles through this program once when I got injectable meds for a bunny from a pharmacy and I did not have enough needles. The pharmacy made me sign paperwork that said I understood the dangers of injecting drugs, etc. It did not matter to the pharmacist that Black Velvet was the one using injectable drugs. :oops: If you must reuse use alcohol to clean then run few fluids through needle before using.
Have you tried small amt of syringe feed?
Sending lots of vibes.

Last edited:
Bless you, I'm sorry it's been so difficult with the vets. We do blood pressure checks at work, just with a cuff like humans but on the leg!
That's really interesting! Thank you x

Thanks everyone for the support, I don't think I've ever been happier so see something so gross [emoji38] altho from experience, this is nothing, there's a lot more that needs to happen but after this long I'm so glad something is happening! Also he nibbled some herbs [emoji7] just praying it continues now and he manages to clear this all out
de159aa519a96424d1d3607dc7739f9e.jpg

Thanks for that Atticus.......:mrgreen:

I really hope that he has turned a corner now and that he will continue to improve.

Given that Atticus has a chronic recurring gut problem I am wondering if you’d feel OK about doing blood glucose tests yourself, if you are and William is OK about letting you have an emergency supply of Cisapride, metoclopramide , Metacam and fluids at home it may mean you are spared the trauma of consulting an OOH non Rabbit savvy Vet.

You can buy a basic blood glucose monitor for about 30 quid :)

Back