• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will a desexed male get along well with his mother and younger sister

I was wondering if a desexed male rabbit would get along well with his mother and younger sister after he has been separated from the mother for 4 months?
Also, the mother has been trying to mate with her daughter, and i am not sure if i should separate them for a while, because the daughter is only 9 weeks.

So long as the 2 girls are spayed he might be fine. The 2 girls together are likely to be more of an issue. As the hormones start to kick in from the daughter she will likely not get on with her mother. 2 spayed females together might work but 2 unspayed females would likely be a disaster. Remember he will be fertile for weeks after the op, possibly 6 weeks.

Mums and Daughters can get along fine with a neutered boy, but if they aren't spayed their hormones will possibly spoil a long-term harmonious relationship. I would check the young rabbit as "she" could be a boy and maybe this is why Mum is "trying" to mate with him, as she is encouraging him to mate with her. Complicated. If the girl is a male, then you don't want Mum to get pregnant again as this will not be good for her health. At 9 weeks it isn't always easy to be sure of the sex. When a rabbit has had babies her hormones are running high and they will be making her broody so it is best if she can have a break from being near Dad. He can still be fertile for weeks post neuter.

Thanks for the info....
The male will get spayed on thursday, and we are hoping that that will help a little, but currently the Mum isn't paying any attention to her daughter. Will the mums grumpy nature make her daughter grumpy and unfriendly as well?

It is good you are getting the male neutered on Thursday but remember he can still be fertile for many weeks afterwards. Females differ with some Mums and Daughters getting along well but some don't. At the moment the baby is too young to be hormonal but as she gets older her and Mum might disagree. Both would be much calmer if spayed.

As others have mentioned, this could potentially work provided the bunnies are all spayed and neutered. You mentioned you are getting the boy fixed, but it is also vital for the mother and daughter are also spayed. It is critical for a female rabbit’s own health that they are spayed (not just for fertility reasons), but because by the age of 5, an unspayed female rabbit has an 80% chance of uterine cancer which is fatal in most cases. For this reason alone it is so important to spay rabbits, as well as other reasons such as reducing territorial behaviours such as marking and aggression. Also, as you mentioned you’d like to bond a trio, from what I’ve researched you should definitely consider the personalities of each bunny and if they are suited to being bonded together, as not all rabbits are suitable to be in trios. I’m pretty sure there’s a thread on this on the bonding page if you’d like to read up on it.

I’d also personally recommend separating the pair if the daughter is potentially getting hurt in the process as baby rabbits are very fragile and could become injured through excessive mounting from the mother, even if she is only trying to assert dominance.

Back