• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Destructive, escape artist rabbit!

LunaNev1

New Kit
Hi everyone I’m new to the forum!

I have 2 adopted 2 year old rabbits, Luna and Neville. I have had them for about 1.5 years and although they were adopted separately they are a close bonded pair. They have a 6ft by 9ft run, and a bigger one is on the way as they are so energetic.

Problem is, Luna chews everything ( I know normal to an extent) to the point where she’s nearly taken the door off her run, makes massive holes in the mesh, leaves sharp splinters of wood everywhere and wood needs replacing constantly. I also like to let them free range in morning/evening and have fenced off the poisonous bushes that border the garden. She’s chews holes through the fence constantly and eats harmful plants, chews the garden gate and escaped into the drive, and has made a massive hole in the shed door so her (and pests) and getting to my food supplies. I also leave a constant supply of hay, willow sticks and various chew toys, tunnels etc. but she’s not interested. I’m worried she’s bored/unhappy and that I can’t keep her safe when she causes so much damage to cages and fences... would appreciate some advice from anyone who’s experienced this problem ! Thanks

Hello and welcome! First thing: is Luna spayed? And do they have lots of hay or grass to graze on?

Yep she’s been spayed, and always plenty of hay available and some grass when they’re free roaming. I usually try and give them their veg just before letting them out so they’re not hungry and searching for food.

sometimes I find bunnies like these need lots of mental stimulation, the usual toys and chews don't do it for them, they're bored in a sense of wanting something mentally to do. a rabbit Einstein if you will :lol:

have you tried puzzle toys? living world teach and treat is a good one for rabbits, with varying difficulty, to keep her interested and give her something mentally to do. Zooplus also have a dog puzzle toy that some use for rabbits. another option is treat balls or ways to make her work for food, some hang veg on a piece of twine over the rabbits, a bit like a washing line!

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/intelligence_toys/classic_puzzles/622255
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-World-Teach-n-Treat-Interactive-Toy/dp/B004HYW9B8

outside of that, I'm not really sure. I find rabbits who are super destructive are bored in a sense mentally, and not in the sense of having nothing to do. they need/want something to challenge them mentally.

theres also no chew sprays but.....I find they don't work and just encouraged mine to chew so I don't recommend.

what about a dig box? or a ball pit? some people buy those ball pits for kids and hide tasty noms in there, so they have to move around the balls and figure it out. I think they're great fun tbh, a lot of rabbits seem to enjoy them! a designated dig box (even tho they're outside) might go a long way too. a deep plastic box, some untreated top soil, and something to help them jump in (I have a wooden house as a step up) would allow them to dig.

baby stacking cups are great too..they love knocking them over and you can hide food underneath to give them a puzzle to figure it out!

I have a very destructive bun on the basis that he always needs something to do :roll: if he can't find something, he makes his own fun, usually ripping up the carpet or some other thing he shouldn't be doing. its exhausting, but I always have to provide something for him to do in the form of toys that stimulate him mentally.

She is doing what rabbits do - although being that destructive isn't good for her safety.

I would look at the mesh - if she is chewing through it, maybe look at a different mesh. Weldmesh is tougher than chicken wire and comes in different grades of wire, as well as different mesh sizes. Making sure the mesh is on the inside of the run will make the wooden frame much less accessible, or wrap the frame in extra mesh with small holes. For the damaged shed door, maybe look at a smooth sheet of exterior ply to cover the whole area she can reach?

As for distractions - tunnels to run through, boxes to sit in / on, or a small table or stool, hang bunches of leafy willow at different heights so it takes longer to eat. I would also feed their veggies in the run when they are let out, rather than immediately before they go out - again, it gives them something to do. Toys such as empty plastic plant pots can entertain some rabbits - they chuck them around.

Haha Einstein bunny is about right! I bought a puzzle toy with 3 different levels and she figured it out scarily quickly! Definitely agree with her needing lots of mental stimulation as physical exercise is clearly not enough for her. Haven’t tried a ball pool yet tho, great idea binkyCodie as they both love anything colourful. In good weather I put cardboard box castles out with tunnels attached which is Neville’s favourite and Luna likes to chew the cardboard which is fine except I’m running out of boxes 🤣 and thanks for feeding advice shimmer, I will try feeding them when their free roaming, have just avoided so far as also chickens roaming around who also like veg.... their new run is being made with 14g mesh so should be much stronger!

Back