• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Funny mushroom smelling hay

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hi. I just opened a new bag of ings hay. Which is what we normally have. The first handful felt slightly damp and smells of mushrooms! I got OH to check and he said it definitely does. I can't see any mould, but I'm not sure if it's safe to feed the buns. It's the only hay we have. Eek

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't use it.
Can you give them a call tomorrow? They are very likely to change it for you. Is there a local farm/horse feed shop near you that sells hay?

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Hi. I just opened a new bag of ings hay. Which is what we normally have. The first handful felt slightly damp and smells of mushrooms! I got OH to check and he said it definitely does. I can't see any mould, but I'm not sure if it's safe to feed the buns. It's the only hay we have. Eek

I don't think I'd feed it :( It really does sound like mould from the smell.

I'd contact them by email and ask them to replace it asap.

This is what I'm thinking. I'm not sure what's open around here now with all the closures. But I can email the company I bought it from. I'm so annoyed, never had this before!

It doesn't sound good to me. It may be because of all the rain we've had. I would try to find some other hay.

I wouldn't use it. It definitely should not smell like that. Contact the company and see of they will replace it - there are likely to be problems with other bags, so you won't be the only one.

Meanwhile, any other hay you can get hold of would be a safer option as a temporary measure -eg. Pets at Home, Wilkos, The Range, etc.

Thanks everyone. I'm emailed the company and will phone them in the morning to see if I can send a new batch straight away.

I will try pets at home first as they are the nearest to me. Just hoping the buns will like it, if I can find any. They are very fussy and I'm very allergic to Timothy hay.

:-(

In this case my opinion in no hay is better than musty damp hay.
Mycotoxins can be in hay even if mold is no longer visible. They can cause serious illness or worse, so not worth risk.

Last edited:
We took everyone's advice. Not risking it. The hay company emailed me back last night and are sending a new batch to arrive tomorrow. Very impressed with this!!!! Especially as it's was a Sunday.

Just need to brave pets at home for something for today.

Not sure what to do with my giant bale if mouldy hay..... Any ideas?

Sorry your hay was 'off', but glad they're sending you a new bag. :) I received an Ings order a few days ago, just had a small of the bag and smells as normal.

I'm glad your ings smells ok.

I got the buns some Timothy hay even though I'm allergic. That how much I love them! All the other hay looked short chopped and brown so they wouldn't eat that.

Will use up the damp hay in the garden. Can definitely put it around my strawberries.

Back