• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

5.5 years old rabbit pregnant?

Thanks for your reply. They live in one big room. The buck lives in his cage and my doe is cage free so my doe can see the buck in his cage. But untill 3 days ago they never reached each other to mate.
She had behaviours like phantom pregnancy during the last two weeks before she jump into the buck's cage.

She used to chew her stitches after surgery and open them all!(she had two minor surgeries before) thats why I'm scared of spaying her(unless i know she is 'really' pregnant).

Is there a way to know if it's a phantom or real pregnancy?
I thought does can't get pregnant after 4 years and they become sterile!
I am surprised your vet did not suggest a spay while she was already having one of her other surgeries.
Does can get pregnant and give birth when they are much older than your bunny.
You mention your doe and buck are separated except this one time. Perhaps they could enjoy each other's company more if she was spayed, provided her health does not preclude an operation.
Most breeders used to determine pregnancy by palpitsting for fetus. It had to be done when fetus was a certain size so could not be confused with fecal pellets and would not help at this early stage.
I just read additional replies and see she was spayed today. You should get some pain relief for your bunny from your vet before taking her home.
Sending lots of positive vibes for a quick and full recovery.
What are the names of your bunnies? Are they a particular breed? We on RU like pictures and stories?

Last edited:
Back