• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sad Bunny

Siclare78

New Kit
Hi, my 4 year old bunny seems to have slipped into depression. He spent all his time with us,never very far away. His hutch was in the kitchen but we had to move him into the dining room while we had a new kitchen fitted. Ever since we moved him he would not come out. But I can tell he wants to. He was not in a strange room or environment but his hutch had moved. Now all the work is complete and after about 3 weeks I've finally got his hutch back where it used to be. Although in a new kitchen. He still won't come out. I can lift him out and put him on the rug in the living room and he is fine but he refuses to walk on the new kitchen floor or the wooden floor that previously he was fine on. So, he wont come out of his own accord nor will he go back if I get him out. I can tell he is fed up and depressed for being in his hutch all the time. Im reluctant to keep picking him up as my partner did this and he now won't let her stroke him as he knows he might get picked up. I'm really upset about this and don't know what to do. My little man was fine at Christmas and is now a shell of his old self. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I think I would leave him to come out in his own time. Perhaps if you put a rug or some material down on the floor for him to walk on until he feels a bit more secure. You could also try putting some food down a short distance away from the hutch to tempt him. Some rabbits become very uncomfortable with a change in their environment.

I agree with Omi. Give him time to adjust. Rabbits are prey animals and generally nervous and cautious of new environments. Make sure that you spend as much time with him as possible and regain his trust. Reward him with treats or just attention whenever he comes out of his hutch to ensure he associates coming out with positive and not negative things. A rug would also be a good idea in helping him feel more comfortable and secure. But overall, the more quality time you spend with him, the more willing he will be to come out and spend time with you of his own accord. Hope it helps.

I agree with Omi too. I hope he is soon feeling better. Is he eating ok? He might need to be checked out by the vet to make sure he isn’t suffering from dental issues etc.

Thanks fot the advice. He is eating / drinking and I can stroke him. I'll put somthing on the floor and see if that helps. Fingers crossed!

Back