• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to move out of bonding pen

Nic.

Warren Scout
Hi everyone

Currently bonding my 2 rabbits. It's been a bit of a bumpy road but i've managed to keep them in the same pen for 2 days now. There was some chasing/fur pulling briefly last night but I'm trying not to separate them. I do have to leave them alone today so I'm a bit worried but they seem to be friends again this morning.. Anyway, they're currently set up in a small pen in my bedroom. Should I leave them here until they're 100% bonded and then move to their normal neutralised pen? Or can I do that now (without toys so it would just be their litter tray in an area that they've been in before but with new carpet or anything they can really claim as their own) The pen is larger than their current bonding pen but I could make it smaller and gradually increase. It's just that the bedroom pen is really small and I don't have any room to make it bigger, but worried about moving locations with them too soon, especially as their bond is very fragile.

Especially as the bond is fragile, I would avoid moving them anywhere until you are more sure of the bond. I would always avoid moving newly bonded rabbits unless absolutely necessary, it more often than not seems to spark off problems as they are in new territory.

I left my pair in the bonding pen for over a week before moving the same pen to the bunny room where Frosty had lived. Although my bonding pen was very large in the end!

Is there anyone who can keep an eye on them today whilst you leave them?

It can take weeks/months for 2 rabbits to be properly bonded. Where will their other pen be situated?

I would echo what Zoobec said.

I wouldn't be changing anything for a few days. They need to strengthen the bond before you stress it with a change of location.

Thanks everyone. I'll leave them where they are. The other pen will be in my living room but I won't move them until I think they're fully bonded..Maybe I can work out making it gradually bigger in my bedroom somehow. I'm only going to go to uni for the afternoon so they'll only be alone 4 hours rather than the 10 it would have been originally. They've been fine all morning so fingers crossed there are no issues. I can't imagine a full on fight would break out even if there was a problem as my boy is so placid, he's completely non agressive. I'm just a little worried my girl might try and hurt him but I think it's just shows of dominance, doesn't seem to be any real harm intended.

I hope everything has continued to go well?
Everything's gone very well actually thanks! Fingers crossed it stays the same. They've been in the pen 3 days now and no more agression at all, lots of grooming and lying next to eachother. I'm going to move the pen into my living room today in the exact same set up and can expand it from there slowly [emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Everything's gone very well actually thanks! Fingers crossed it stays the same. They've been in the pen 3 days now and no more agression at all, lots of grooming and lying next to eachother. I'm going to move the pen into my living room today in the exact same set up and can expand it from there slowly [emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

That’s really good. Fingers crossed for the move, as I said this can usually cause problems to kick off if they are going to happen!

Back