• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lillian at vets- again - U/D 7:15pm 26th

I haven't been on RU for a few weeks, but Bertie and I both send lots of love and vibes to Lillian. x

I hope that Lillian is responding well to the intensive care she will have received overnight and that her GI tract will have kick started again. It may take another day or so on gut motility meds (Metoclopramide/Ranitidine/Cisapride) and possibly assisted feeds to get her guts fully up to speed. It will certainly help once the pain of a bladder infection subsides and it sounds as though that is now happening thanks to the abx, analgesia and fluids.

Topping up the vibes for Lillian and a comforting nose rub being sent for Henry who is obviously missing her xx

Thanks JJ.
The vet is due to ring at 8:30 this morning with an update - and we've had no calls overnight so I am taking that as a positive. Poor Lillian will have felt quite alone there - and it must be quite a stress for her, but she is also safe, warm, comfortable and being given the excellent care that she needs to help her with this episide.
Poor little Henry is very definately lost. It's very much like he is grieving. He was purposefully looking for Lillian all last night. His body language was all very different and very typical of someone who is clearly upset. Henry isn't a licky bunny towards us, but my goodness last night he spent ages gently licking my wifes fingers - which is something he has never done in the 2 years we've had him.
Presently he is sitting upstairs at the top of our landing, hunched up outside our bedroom. He's probably found a warm patch with a central heating pipe underneath the floor boards, but he is definately hurting and doesn't understand why Lillian isn't there - so if she comes home this morning, I am sure she will be given plenty of Henry loving.
Thank you everybun again for your continued following and constant vibes.
Craig xx

Really hoping Lillian is back home soon xx sending her lots of vibes, and nose rubs for lovely Henry xxx

Vet just rung. Lillian can come home. Small poops during night, nibbling on food so vet happy to send her home. Vet thinks that Lillian may have scar legions from the earlier surgery to remove the bladder stone - hence the vulnerability to these episodes now.
Henry will be a very happy bunny when Lillian comes home.
Thank you all for your vibes.xx

fab news Craig. I'm so happy for you all & to know Henrys pain will be so easily resolved is the bestest, poor sensitive boy x

Am glad to read that Lillian is to be reunited with her husbun. Is it because of the difficulty measuring input and output that Henry doesn't stay at the vet with her?

Well, Lillian is home - she came home this afternoon with a big bag of medicine.
Henry was so pleased to see her, he has been glued to her side and has groomed her non stop.
Lillian is looking quite sorry for herself - from my obervations. She presents as very tired - she seems to have half closed eyes so I would imagine that the last 24 hours have been quite an ordeal for her and she probably (like us hoomans) didn't get much sleep in the strange surroundings of the hospital. And the fact she was syringe fed every few hours and she isn't really one for hooman interaction. She looks utterly exhausted and I expect that in her mind, she was really frightened and worried, as well as in discomfort. So the best thing for her in my opinion now, is for her to just settle, she is under the living room table having munched on some fresh corriander and greens. She just wants to sit under the table, where she is warm and snuggled next to Henry - which I am sure reassures her and she will know deep down that her home is here and that hopefully she feels safe here. She'll get all the meds in an hour or so - gut stasis meds. So Lillian won't be too happy about that.
I'll post some photos later when I get time.
And thank you all so much again for your vibes. xx

Am glad to read that Lillian is to be reunited with her husbun. Is it because of the difficulty measuring input and output that Henry doesn't stay at the vet with her?

This is an excellent question - and one I hadn’t considered. I guess the only answer I can give is that I was of the opinion that Henry was not in need of vet care as such and so would take up possible space and time that the vet team could give to more deserving pets. But from an emotional well-being view, Henry’s presence would/could be beneficial to Lillian’s wellbeing.
So this is an excellent observation and question. Thank you.

This is an excellent question - and one I hadn’t considered. I guess the only answer I can give is that I was of the opinion that Henry was not in need of vet care as such and so would take up possible space and time that the vet team could give to more deserving pets. But from an emotional well-being view, Henry’s presence would/could be beneficial to Lillian’s wellbeing.
So this is an excellent observation and question. Thank you.
I always take bonded buns together to the vets personally, splitting a close bonded pair up is so hard.

I'm so glad she's now home and nibbling fresh foods xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I always take bonded buns together to the vets personally, splitting a close bonded pair up is so hard.

I'm so glad she's now home and nibbling fresh foods xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I agree with this:thumb: back when I had a quad it was tricky though:lol:

So glad she is home:love:

Back