• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sweet dreams Rudey

I think i'll move both Rudey & Mousey on to them as their regular pellet - they seems to suit their nutritional requirements more than most pellets

He hasn't eaten any further hay but all in all I'm happy with his progress
I've bought her something off Amazon which is apple sticks with hay cakes in between. She is now eating the hay cakes when she's hungry! Not sure what else is in the hay cakes but it says only hay so you could maybe try that. It's quite hard so hopefully wear her teeth down a bit and hoping she will suddenly like the taste of hay again

I've bought her something off Amazon which is apple sticks with hay cakes in between. She is now eating the hay cakes when she's hungry! Not sure what else is in the hay cakes but it says only hay so you could maybe try that. It's quite hard so hopefully wear her teeth down a bit and hoping she will suddenly like the taste of hay again

I'm glad you've found something else she likes. I got some dried grass & hay cookies at my local pet shop this morning. He wouldn't touch them. He just doesn't enjoy any dry food at the moment - occasional nibble of dried forage leaves & twigs. Fortunately he likes grass & now he has a normal appetite he gets through a reasonable amount so is getting dental wear. dunno what i'll do when I can't get grass though

dunno what i'll do when I can't get grass though
Maybe controversial, but soak some hay? I mean, not loads, that would lead to mould, but reintroducing water might make it more Rudey-palatable? Mine sometimes like to eat the loose strands of hay that've blown into the run and got wet. They won't eat wet hay cookies though, by comparison.

A little Rudey update. After a positive few days I woke up exactly 2 weeks ago to find Rudey dragging his legs. To me it looked like hind limb weakness which would fit with his probable EC. I spoke to the vet & we agreed to start panacur, continue with metacam & bring him in a few days later so's not to upset him (scary cos that was that niggling thought what if he'd broken something). Vet consult was very thorough. He is with Ruth now & I couldn't be happier. It was a really long consult & had a FHB feel to it. I feel so much more relaxed about him under Ruth's care.

He did look a bit miserable for a day or so. There has been some marginal improvement in his mobility, he still limps but rarely to the point he knocks his toes or drags his legs. By day 6 he went in to the kitchen & day 7 he was back trying to hump Mouse. I think he is feeling ok in himself.

He remains super skinny so is on syringe feeds to top up what he'll eat for himself. Poops are bigger these days & he is eating his cecos.
I've now chilled about his diet, fresh food is good for him & fresh food is all he'll eat so its all good. Previously I'd been messing with his digestive system (& Mouseys) feeding too many carby foods in an attempt to make him gain weight. Syringe feeding is a happy fix for us (& has a good effect on his appetite). Ruth (vet) said she had a lot of positive experience syringe feeding skinny bunnies in kidney failure (as long as they aren't stressed by it) & feels rabbits who have this tend to do better

I’m glad he has improved, that must have been scary to see him like that :cry: he is a good boy, tolerating the syringe feeds, and I’m glad they are helping him. Topping up the vibes xx

I’m glad he has improved, that must have been scary to see him like that :cry: he is a good boy, tolerating the syringe feeds, and I’m glad they are helping him. Topping up the vibes xx

Thanks Zoobec. Its not my scariest experience of a bunny with EC (Noodle had the rolling head tilt thing for 5 weeks) but I was still worried for him obviously. Nasty disease ! xx

Best wishes Rudey :) Aboleth's recent decline was likely kidney related (as well as other factors) and she was an absolute star with syringe feeding, she just lapped it out of the syringe :love: I thought of Rudey every step of our journey from Saturday morning onwards, so I hope he shakes off this EC and gets back to his normal :)

Thanks Zoobec. Its not my scariest experience of a bunny with EC (Noodle had the rolling head tilt thing for 5 weeks) but I was still worried for him obviously. Nasty disease ! xx
Thankfully, touch wood, I’ve not experienced EC but it sounds awful :cry: xx

Best wishes Rudey :) Aboleth's recent decline was likely kidney related (as well as other factors) and she was an absolute star with syringe feeding, she just lapped it out of the syringe :love: I thought of Rudey every step of our journey from Saturday morning onwards, so I hope he shakes off this EC and gets back to his normal :)

Thanks so much xx

Bloody vet uk has just emailed me his dual care is out of stock. Wish they'd contacted me when I put in order days ag. Panicking - he will run out today

Bloody vet uk has just emailed me his dual care is out of stock. Wish they'd contacted me when I put in order days ag. Panicking - he will run out today
The excel food? Lemme send you some? Probably wouldn't get to you til Friday though? I'm guessing? Maybe that's too long :(

I've no idea the quickest way of sending something, if there's a fast way lemme know [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Can you use pellets made into a syringeable consistency with boiling water ? Or is it available at any other vets, or maybe on Amazon prime?

Can you use pellets made into a syringeable consistency with boiling water ? Or is it available at any other vets, or maybe on Amazon prime?
Just had a look amazon don't have it unfortunately, there's a few other online places that sell it, maybe you could get next day? Idk tho.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Burgess-Ex...AhFDzF7vfL0e2-YqaLFbIiYZz5pF8k_xoCa08QAvD_BwE

https://www.ocado.com/products/burg...gz-O3GsihaDeALIKb59civl9QG_fUVlBoCmj8QAvD_BwE

Just had a look amazon don't have it unfortunately, there's a few other online places that sell it, maybe you could get next day? Idk tho.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Burgess-Ex...AhFDzF7vfL0e2-YqaLFbIiYZz5pF8k_xoCa08QAvD_BwE

https://www.ocado.com/products/burg...gz-O3GsihaDeALIKb59civl9QG_fUVlBoCmj8QAvD_BwE

Yes I just looked on Amazon too! They have it at the hay experts but I don’t know if they do next day.

Are there any RU members near you who might have any?

I don't have any but I'm not busy this evening and could pop some over if anyone local to me or on the way has some as well...?

I don't have any but I'm not busy this evening and could pop some over if anyone local to me or on the way has some as well...?
Yea I'm too far for that really, I've got an almost full bag here as well that we don't use really, had it because Clementine before and Apricot, didn't use much though

Thanks all. Graicee - I'm really tempted (which makes me feel more more ridiculous as his taster dose was from another kind RU member). I'd just like to keep him stable on same food. If you put some in an envelope & it weighs less than 100g it could go as large letter . I shall send you mandarin lip balms :) Are you sure? I know you've got loads on with your own buns & family xx

Thanks all. Graicee - I'm really tempted (which makes me feel more more ridiculous as his taster dose was from another kind RU member). I'd just like to keep him stable on same food. If you put some in an envelope & it weighs less than 100g it could go as large letter . I shall send you mandarin lip balms :) Are you sure? I know you've got loads on with your own buns & family xx

Ooooo you've got yourself a deal! I'll send you a few envelopes full so you have enough :)

So large letter... Is this a stamp? Like a specific stamp? I'm sorry I don't really post things [emoji51] pm me address too I don't think I have it, it's really no problem anything for the gorgeous Rudey :) xx

I looked on Amazon when I did the vet uk order. They had it then at 20 squid with "free delivery" its £4.?? at vetuk.
Ocado is a great option - if they didn't have min shop equivalent to our monthly food budget

Back