• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update Doughnut has arthritis of the spine - laser treatment

So sorry to read the latest update :cry: I do hope she will be able to be kept comfortable for a bit more time yet. Sending lots of vibes xx

I'm trying to stay positive. Going to try and get some answers so my brain can comprehend it. I want to know if arthritis of the spine always pinches the nerves or if this is something additional to deal with as this is the main thing for me.

I'm trying to stay positive. Going to try and get some answers so my brain can comprehend it. I want to know if arthritis of the spine always pinches the nerves or if this is something additional to deal with as this is the main thing for me.

It depends on the precise nature of vertebral damage (due to arthritic disease). Is she with Mark ?

Really sorry to read your latest news about Doughnut. Sorry I don't have experience with this. Sending your beautiful girl tons of vibes. Xxxx

[/B]

It depends on the precise nature of vertebral damage (due to arthritic disease). Is she with Mark ?

No he's away till next week so a locum but she is very good. Depending on how it goes I may arrange to see him next week to answer all my questions. How I can help. The long term although didn't seem that long from what she said. Hoping it is though and she proves her wrong!

No he's away till next week so a locum but she is very good. Depending on how it goes I may arrange to see him next week to answer all my questions. How I can help. The long term although didn't seem that long from what she said. Hoping it is though and she proves her wrong!

Well from a totally unqualified perspective I would say that you have been given the 'worst possible scenario' BUT it really is not the case that the condition deteriorates 'within weeks'. I have had at least 4 previous Rabbits diagnosed with degenerative disc disease/arthritis who's condition was managed with good pain control, physiotherapy and/or Acupuncture. In one case (Jo) she coped well for over 2 years.

Personally I would want Mark's input before assuming the worst for Doughnut.

These links may provide you with some helpful information :

http://www.helpinghandsvetphysio.co.uk/rabbits/

https://cambridgevetgroup.co.uk/k-laser/

https://www.fitzpatrickreferrals.co.uk/services/rehabilitation/veterinary-acupuncture/

Mimzy had an arthritic spine (he was diagnosed with early onset at 3 years) and I think Fiver did too. With Fiver it was worse because he was a mini rex and much more delicate bone wise than Mimzy, a mini lop. Mimzy did well with pain relief for his remaining 7 years. I wouldn't write her off yet, she is always full of surprises. We know she's a terrific fighter. :thumb:

Many many successful treatment vibes and hopes that this is yet just another bump in the road and that Doughnut will be traveling with you many more comfortable years. :love:

((((((((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))))))))))) xxxxxxx

I agree with MM! But still sad to read this. xx

Just heard from the vets, she's on gabapentin which will be for life and is also on tramadol. She's still wet so they are keeping her in until she is dry, fingers crossed I get her back tomorrow, thanks for all of your support.

Just heard from the vets, she's on gabapentin which will be for life and is also on tramadol. She's still wet so they are keeping her in until she is dry, fingers crossed I get her back tomorrow, thanks for all of your support.

Bless her, I really hope that the additional analgesia helps and that she regains her bladder control. Sending lots more vibes for her xx

Sending lots of vibes for the beautiful Doughnut xx

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Praying there's good news for you and Doughnut. ((((((((((((((((Healing vibes and hugs)))))))))))))))))) xxxxx

Just popping back in here in the hopes that there's been some news. Has anyone heard from cpayne since the 4th?
Been very worried about them both. :(

Back