• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peanut update :(

Thank you!! It is injectable yes :)

So we just had the first lot of meds.... and apparently she was taking them really well at the vets on the floor between the knees... not so much at home -_- the usual sort of fight but got them in in the end!

She was eating some pellets at the vets but hasn't eaten anything since she has been home yet! Just given her a little recovery formula until she escaped!

Now I've seen the wound it makes sense where to pick her up 😊 she didnt flinch so I don't think it hurt her.

So now the usual fight with meds... but hopefully she will be back to herself soon 😁

I am so pleased Peanut is home - and it will be a weight off your mind. Having been through this recently, I can add some of my own advice which may or may not help with Peanut. I agree with Joey & Boo above - herbs make a good tempting treat and are full of goodness and stimulating smells. Parsley and basil worked for Lillian, as did carrot tops (in moderation).
I agree about how to go about picking her up. Just allow Peanut to come out, hopefully to you, and try not to stress Peanut too much and just pick Peanut up gently but confidently and support Peanut underneath taking as much pressure off as you can. I am sure that she will be quite sleepy and she'll have plenty of naps - just keep a close eye on her and make sure she drinks plenty and has some output.
Sending more healing vibes for Peanut. xx

Thank you!

So, so far, the medication is a nightmare.... as usual. I'm terrified of her pulling her stitches when she struggles against it :(
This morning I took her into the bathroom because I had read an unfamiliar space sometimes works and she did end up taking them on the floor between my legs... but then kicked and fought to get away. Really don't want to stress her out but the painkillers are necessary for the dental and she has some meds to get her gut moving for a few days too.

Thank you!

So, so far, the medication is a nightmare.... as usual. I'm terrified of her pulling her stitches when she struggles against it :(
This morning I took her into the bathroom because I had read an unfamiliar space sometimes works and she did end up taking them on the floor between my legs... but then kicked and fought to get away. Really don't want to stress her out but the painkillers are necessary for the dental and she has some meds to get her gut moving for a few days too.

How often does she have to have the Pen injections? It's important that you manage to get those into her, which I appreciate is not easy with an uncooperative bunny.

Is she eating at all by herself yet? If so, then the pain relief could maybe be disguised in food and of course the more quickly her eating becomes normalised and her poos return to normal, you will not need to give her the guts meds. Are you still syringe-feeding?

Yes, unfamiliar spaces do work better. I always bring my outside rabbits into the house for meds.

I had the same problem with my Onana after neutering. We tried all three of us and could not get him to take the syringe. I the end we put his painkiller on a piece of mashed banana (as advice by Omi), which he had never eaten before and it worked.
Good luck and all the best for peanuts

The injection is only once every 3 days so haven't got to give her that until tomorrow.
She is eating little bits. A few leaves and a treat cube last night and the odd pellet. Same issue with the syringe feeding as the medication really. Can get a tiny amount in but then she wriggles and I don't want to hold her because she then struggles more and I'm worried about the stitches.
I did try disguising it last time but she didn't go for that at all!

Hopefully she will take it again in the bathroom later as she is indoor and haven't got that many rooms she hasn't been in!

I find that most rabbits don't like the taste of the recovery food, if that's what you're using. Some people here have found it much more palatable mixed in with some baby food. Any vegetable or fruit baby food will be OK. I think people have used Ella's or Aldi's own. Zoobec, I think, found that her bunny has a preference for one of the flavours and only started to accept his recovery food mixed with that after his dental.

Last edited:
Only just managed to catch up, but have been thinking of you both. Topping up positive vibes for Peanut. I hope you find a way to give meds that she's happier with.

If you are still syringe feeding a rabbit friend said they found critical care was tolerated better by their bunnies than recovery. And apparently it mixes up better so it doesn't get stuck in the syringe as much.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry Peanut isn't taking the syringes too well. Normally I would say that it's reassuring when bunnies get feisty but not when they've just had a big op and you've got stitches to worry about!

Omi's idea of adding baby food to the recovery food is a good one. Only a couple of suggestions I would add. When you take her into the bathroom have you tried wrapping her in a big towel or blanket? That should make it harder for to fight and try to wriggle away. You could also try putting the recovery/baby food mix on a small saucer to see if she'll lap it up herself rather than syringe feeding.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thank you all for taking the time to read and reply 😊
She has had baby food before. I think it is just the whole syringe thing in general that she hates. Whatever I dip it in or mix things with, she just doesn't like it near her mouth which I guess is understandable if her teeth are painful.

Have wrapped her before but she pulls her head back and grabs onto the towel and won't let go!
I'll give her that, she is a stubborn feisty bunny!

Will have a go putting in on a saucer and see how we get on 😊

Peanut update! So we are a week and 2 days after the spay and just took Peanut to a more local vet just to check stitches and they're looking really good! 😁 she is eating and drinking but not a great deal which may partly be due to the dental but also the heat I think! Indoor bunny - very warm!!!
However, wasn't entirely pleased with the vet today as Peanut made a leap off of the table!!! Thankfully, there was a bin next to the side she leapt from and she landed on the lid -_-
She has a check up next week at the rabbit savvy vet which is great.

I had a bunny jump off the table at my former vets years ago and I caught the bunny before she hit the floor. You were so fortunate your bunny landed on the bin lid. How can they be so careless?
It is good to read Peanut is making good progress. Sending positive vibes for continued improvement.

Back for post-op check up at the good vets today and Peanut is all clear and healthy and happy 😁😁😁 vet said I had done a great job of looking after her and her stitches are healing beautifully and her dental issues have gone for now!! She will have to have regular dentals but not for another 3 months!
After the heart wrenching news of her being worse than I thought two weeks ago, this has brought me two much joy!

Absolutely recommend Toll Barn for anyone Norfolk way on! The last vet were totally careless and even though TB are nearly an hour's drive away... they are SO worth it!

Back