Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on gut stasis

Default Advice on gut stasis

So I'm such an idiot! Apricot and Penelope ate a load of cardboard, they have this hay box which they love they normally don't eat the box.. Just the the inside stuff.. But woke up this morning and they've eaten a load of the box won't be buying another of those for them...

Anyway Penelope seems okay she's eating hay, pellets, treats, vegs, herbs etc

Apricot would only eat veg and herbs earlier, refused pellets (how to know somethings really wrong.. ) but she's been nibbling kale, ribwort, parsley, basil and some broccoli plants.. She's just pooped 6 smaller darker poops.. She doesn't seem in any discomfort tbh and she's been hoping around and she took kale out of Penelope mouth which was a good sign..

Obviously if she poops more and starts eating hay again.. I'm hoping we won't have to go to the vets.. But we have a vet appointment for this evening at the vets for their vacations... I'm thinking of maybe not getting them vaccinated today now? Obviously I can take her along and we can get pain meds, and Emeprid or whatever (not rabbit savvy vets but they can do this) but I was wondering what people thought about maybe not vaccinating today now? Gunna keep the vet appointment either way.

Apricot has been going off certain treats the last week too though.. Idk if that's connected, hoping it's just me messing up with cardboard..

Anyway I'd appreciate any advice.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    So I'm such an idiot! Apricot and Penelope ate a load of cardboard, they have this hay box which they love they normally don't eat the box.. Just the the inside stuff.. But woke up this morning and they've eaten a load of the box won't be buying another of those for them...

Anyway Penelope seems okay she's eating hay, pellets, treats, vegs, herbs etc

Apricot would only eat veg and herbs earlier, refused pellets (how to know somethings really wrong.. ) but she's been nibbling kale, ribwort, parsley, basil and some broccoli plants.. She's just pooped 6 smaller darker poops.. She doesn't seem in any discomfort tbh and she's been hoping around and she took kale out of Penelope mouth which was a good sign..

Obviously if she poops more and starts eating hay again.. I'm hoping we won't have to go to the vets.. But we have a vet appointment for this evening at the vets for their vacations... I'm thinking of maybe not getting them vaccinated today now? Obviously I can take her along and we can get pain meds, and Emeprid or whatever (not rabbit savvy vets but they can do this) but I was wondering what people thought about maybe not vaccinating today now? Gunna keep the vet appointment either way.

Apricot has been going off certain treats the last week too though.. Idk if that's connected, hoping it's just me messing up with cardboard..

Anyway I'd appreciate any advice.

Personally I'd postpone the vaccination until Apricot is 100% back to normal. The protection any vaccination gives does not just stop bang on the Booster due date and if she's a bit 'off' health wise today vaccinating may exacerbate things. However, your Vet would be the best one to advise you after examining Apricot xx

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

An Ex RUer needs as much help as possible

https://www.gofundme.com/f/gemma-amp...-0xbTXWRb42ov4

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Personally I'd postpone the vaccination until Apricot is 100% back to normal. The protection any vaccination gives does not just stop bang on the Booster due date and if she's a bit 'off' health wise today vaccinating may exacerbate things. However, your Vet would be the best one to advise you after examining Apricot xx
    Yea I'm thinking that, may just take her along to get some gut meds etc, although I don't think we are at the point where we need them, she's doing okay, and is popping and eating some things, sadly not hay though.

The booster was due tomorrow, for novibac, is there any guidance on how long it lasts? Like if it was done the end of the week would that be okay cover wise?

Penelope could probably have hers today still though xx

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I agree. I would let her digestive system get back to normal first.

Yea I'm thinking that, may just take her along to get some gut meds etc, although I don't think we are at the point where we need them, she's doing okay, and is popping and eating some things, sadly not hay though.

The booster was due tomorrow, for novibac, is there any guidance on how long it lasts? Like if it was done the end of the week would that be okay cover wise?

Penelope could probably have hers today still though xx

Yep, I would be fine about leaving it for a week or so.

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

An Ex RUer needs as much help as possible

https://www.gofundme.com/f/gemma-amp...-0xbTXWRb42ov4

I would perhaps run this past the vet if you keep your appointment. It may be beneficial to get meds - but the vet can first listen to Apricot's tummy and see if there's any movement which you can't do. The vet can then decide the best course of action from there.
    Sending vibes for Apricot. x
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by Craig 1965 View Post
    I would perhaps run this past the vet if you keep your appointment. It may be beneficial to get meds - but the vet can first listen to Apricot's tummy and see if there's any movement which you can't do. The vet can then decide the best course of action from there.
    Sending vibes for Apricot. x
    Thanks Craig

Sorry I should've been clear they're both going to the vets with my boyfriend later (I'd really like to go but I'm dying apparently from some kind of super flu ) Penelope to get her vaccination and Apricot to get looked at, only issue is it's not a rabbit savvy vets, so I don't really trust their judgement tbh... but they can do gut meds and painkillers (altho I'm sure the dose for this will be too little) there so should be okay, I can always take Apricot to my normal vets hopefully tomorrow unfortunately my exotic vet doesn't work everyday now so it's tricky sometimes as they're the only exotic vet at the practice.

I just wanted to make sure the vaccination was probably not the best idea

Anyone heard of giving a rabbit morphine?!

Anyone heard of giving a rabbit morphine?!

Brupramorphine aka Vetergesic - yes, as a strong. painkiller. Sometimes given for stasis.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    Brupramorphine aka Vetergesic - yes, as a strong. painkiller. Sometimes given for stasis.
    Ah ****

Thank you tho x