Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: Advice on gut stasis

  1. #1
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,643

    Default Advice on gut stasis

    So I'm such an idiot! Apricot and Penelope ate a load of cardboard, they have this hay box which they love they normally don't eat the box.. Just the the inside stuff.. But woke up this morning and they've eaten a load of the box won't be buying another of those for them...

    Anyway Penelope seems okay she's eating hay, pellets, treats, vegs, herbs etc

    Apricot would only eat veg and herbs earlier, refused pellets (how to know somethings really wrong.. ) but she's been nibbling kale, ribwort, parsley, basil and some broccoli plants.. She's just pooped 6 smaller darker poops.. She doesn't seem in any discomfort tbh and she's been hoping around and she took kale out of Penelope mouth which was a good sign..

    Obviously if she poops more and starts eating hay again.. I'm hoping we won't have to go to the vets.. But we have a vet appointment for this evening at the vets for their vacations... I'm thinking of maybe not getting them vaccinated today now? Obviously I can take her along and we can get pain meds, and Emeprid or whatever (not rabbit savvy vets but they can do this) but I was wondering what people thought about maybe not vaccinating today now? Gunna keep the vet appointment either way.

    Apricot has been going off certain treats the last week too though.. Idk if that's connected, hoping it's just me messing up with cardboard..

    Anyway I'd appreciate any advice.

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Above Ground ATM
    Posts
    139,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    So I'm such an idiot! Apricot and Penelope ate a load of cardboard, they have this hay box which they love they normally don't eat the box.. Just the the inside stuff.. But woke up this morning and they've eaten a load of the box won't be buying another of those for them...

    Anyway Penelope seems okay she's eating hay, pellets, treats, vegs, herbs etc

    Apricot would only eat veg and herbs earlier, refused pellets (how to know somethings really wrong.. ) but she's been nibbling kale, ribwort, parsley, basil and some broccoli plants.. She's just pooped 6 smaller darker poops.. She doesn't seem in any discomfort tbh and she's been hoping around and she took kale out of Penelope mouth which was a good sign..

    Obviously if she poops more and starts eating hay again.. I'm hoping we won't have to go to the vets.. But we have a vet appointment for this evening at the vets for their vacations... I'm thinking of maybe not getting them vaccinated today now? Obviously I can take her along and we can get pain meds, and Emeprid or whatever (not rabbit savvy vets but they can do this) but I was wondering what people thought about maybe not vaccinating today now? Gunna keep the vet appointment either way.

    Apricot has been going off certain treats the last week too though.. Idk if that's connected, hoping it's just me messing up with cardboard..

    Anyway I'd appreciate any advice.

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Personally I'd postpone the vaccination until Apricot is 100% back to normal. The protection any vaccination gives does not just stop bang on the Booster due date and if she's a bit 'off' health wise today vaccinating may exacerbate things. However, your Vet would be the best one to advise you after examining Apricot xx


    Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

    An Ex RUer needs as much help as possible

    https://www.gofundme.com/f/gemma-amp...-0xbTXWRb42ov4

  3. #3
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Personally I'd postpone the vaccination until Apricot is 100% back to normal. The protection any vaccination gives does not just stop bang on the Booster due date and if she's a bit 'off' health wise today vaccinating may exacerbate things. However, your Vet would be the best one to advise you after examining Apricot xx
    Yea I'm thinking that, may just take her along to get some gut meds etc, although I don't think we are at the point where we need them, she's doing okay, and is popping and eating some things, sadly not hay though.

    The booster was due tomorrow, for novibac, is there any guidance on how long it lasts? Like if it was done the end of the week would that be okay cover wise?

    Penelope could probably have hers today still though xx

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    16,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Personally I'd postpone the vaccination until Apricot is 100% back to normal. The protection any vaccination gives does not just stop bang on the Booster due date and if she's a bit 'off' health wise today vaccinating may exacerbate things. However, your Vet would be the best one to advise you after examining Apricot xx
    I agree. I would let her digestive system get back to normal first.

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Above Ground ATM
    Posts
    139,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Yea I'm thinking that, may just take her along to get some gut meds etc, although I don't think we are at the point where we need them, she's doing okay, and is popping and eating some things, sadly not hay though.

    The booster was due tomorrow, for novibac, is there any guidance on how long it lasts? Like if it was done the end of the week would that be okay cover wise?

    Penelope could probably have hers today still though xx

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Yep, I would be fine about leaving it for a week or so.


    Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

    An Ex RUer needs as much help as possible

    https://www.gofundme.com/f/gemma-amp...-0xbTXWRb42ov4

  6. #6
    Forum Buddy Craig 1965's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    2,641

    Default

    I would perhaps run this past the vet if you keep your appointment. It may be beneficial to get meds - but the vet can first listen to Apricot's tummy and see if there's any movement which you can't do. The vet can then decide the best course of action from there.
    Sending vibes for Apricot. x
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  7. #7
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig 1965 View Post
    I would perhaps run this past the vet if you keep your appointment. It may be beneficial to get meds - but the vet can first listen to Apricot's tummy and see if there's any movement which you can't do. The vet can then decide the best course of action from there.
    Sending vibes for Apricot. x
    Thanks Craig

    Sorry I should've been clear they're both going to the vets with my boyfriend later (I'd really like to go but I'm dying apparently from some kind of super flu ) Penelope to get her vaccination and Apricot to get looked at, only issue is it's not a rabbit savvy vets, so I don't really trust their judgement tbh... but they can do gut meds and painkillers (altho I'm sure the dose for this will be too little) there so should be okay, I can always take Apricot to my normal vets hopefully tomorrow unfortunately my exotic vet doesn't work everyday now so it's tricky sometimes as they're the only exotic vet at the practice.

    I just wanted to make sure the vaccination was probably not the best idea

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,643

    Default

    Anyone heard of giving a rabbit morphine?!

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Anyone heard of giving a rabbit morphine?!

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Brupramorphine aka Vetergesic - yes, as a strong. painkiller. Sometimes given for stasis.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

  10. #10
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    Brupramorphine aka Vetergesic - yes, as a strong. painkiller. Sometimes given for stasis.
    Ah ****


    Thank you tho x

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •