• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jazzie's really ill again :( - U/d #30 - Looking better :D

In for another night :( Vet didn't sound as happy when he called, I think he's disappointed as he was thinking she'd pick up and be able to go home. So was I.
Back on an i/v now but they're not sure about syringe feeding. Apparently she'd giving them the same problem she gives me, that holding it in her mouth and not swallowing, and just giving meds by syringe stressed her out.
She is picking at food (mainly grass) and leaving a few droppings, it's just all very, very small amounts.
The poor vet has been working since this morning, at least 12hrs. I can't believe how wonderful he's been.
I still don't know what to think. It's the fact she's just staying the same that's confusing me, she's not getting better or worse.
If she's not picked up by morning I will ask for imaging. They're going to phone me early.

I am sorry she is not improving. I am assuming the Vet ruled out any Dental problems ? And although this may sound like a bonkers question, did he check her ears for any signs of infection/pain ?

Re the bladder sludge, abdominal radiographs are usually needed to diagnose this. Although sometimes it is possible to detect sludge when palpating the bladder area, if there is a lot of it. Bunny usually has other symptoms too such as a history of passing some sludgy wee/cystitis etc. Gut stasis is often present as a secondary symptom, a response to pain from the bladder problem. Jazzie may not have this at all though, but I'd still run it past the Vet who sounds to be very dedicated.

Sending lots more vibes xx

Sending lots more vibes for your girlie. I really hope that the vet can establish a cause and that she will start to improve soon.

I really hope your vet can get to the root of the problem, sending lots more vibes for Jazzie and yourself xxxx

Topping up the vibes. Your vet sounds amazing and it is good Jazzie is getting continuity of care. Hopefully she will have a better day today.

Sending vibes for you, too. Having a poorly bunny is incredibly stressful.

Sending vibes for Jazzie. Sometimes when mine are on meds it really upsets their system and they are very quiet until the course is over. I hope it turns out to be something like that xxx

Sorry, should have mentioned. Teeth (inc molars) were checked straight away and looked fine (thankfully she's always had good teeth). He did also check her ears very thoroughly.
Jazzie's never shown any signs of problems with urinating that I've observed and her urine has always looked normal, however it's definitely something worth keeping in mind and something I'll run past the vet when I see them. Obviously it's a diffrenet vet on now as he spoke to me several times yesterday between 10am-ish (at consultation) and 10pm at night so as far as I can see he must have been working 12hrs+! He also remembered me straight away from having done Pixel's dental late December.
They have countless vets at the surgery but all seem to be equally dedicated and good with their rabbit knowledge so far.

Regarding how she's doing today, I had a phone call early this morning to say she had left 17 droppings overnight and they were hoping she was 'turning a corner'. I'm waiting for a phone call about now to update me on how she's doing and whether or not she's heading towards being able to come home.
She mentioned imaging and said they could do it but at this stage feels it might be more stress than it's worth as the handling is stressing her so we've left it for the moment to see how she goes until this afternoon (hence waiting for update).
I have been thinking the stasis must be secondary to some other condition but I'm hoping that's not the case if she does start picking up. If not we'll definitely be doing imaging as the next step.

Thank you all for wishing her well xx

Sorry, should have mentioned. Teeth (inc molars) were checked straight away and looked fine (thankfully she's always had good teeth). He did also check her ears very thoroughly.
Jazzie's never shown any signs of problems with urinating that I've observed and her urine has always looked normal, however it's definitely something worth keeping in mind and something I'll run past the vet when I see them. Obviously it's a diffrenet vet on now as he spoke to me several times yesterday between 10am-ish (at consultation) and 10pm at night so as far as I can see he must have been working 12hrs+! He also remembered me straight away from having done Pixel's dental late December.
They have countless vets at the surgery but all seem to be equally dedicated and good with their rabbit knowledge so far.

Regarding how she's doing today, I had a phone call early this morning to say she had left 17 droppings overnight and they were hoping she was 'turning a corner'. I'm waiting for a phone call about now to update me on how she's doing and whether or not she's heading towards being able to come home.
She mentioned imaging and said they could do it but at this stage feels it might be more stress than it's worth as the handling is stressing her so we've left it for the moment to see how she goes until this afternoon (hence waiting for update).
I have been thinking the stasis must be secondary to some other condition but I'm hoping that's not the case if she does start picking up. If not we'll definitely be doing imaging as the next step.

Thank you all for wishing her well xx

I really hope that your next update brings good news. Topping up the vibes again xx

Jazzie's home. She went straight for her hay when I put her back in her pen :D She's much brighter and looks so much more like herself.
Emeprid was due straight away so I gave that to her and just held her for a bit. I kissed her on the head a few times and she started licking my arm :love: She licked a little when she was younger but hasn't done it in ages. Every time I kissed her she licked me back. I couldn't believe it.
She's just done it again as I got her out for her metacam. She's just the sweetest girl :love:
She's got a way to go but seems to be doing so much better this time so I'm hoping she's on her way up.
I was really scared this was the one. She's only about 5 and a half, I wasn't ready to lose another and I'd be lost without her. She's such a sweet, happy, perfect lilttle girl and she means the world to me.
She's also officially our most expensive bun :lol: I've not worked it out properly but her lifetime vets fees (excluding routine stuff) have exceeded £2000 :shock:
But she's worth it <3
I'm so glad she's finally home :D

Jazzie sounds so cute :love: So pleased to read your update. Is she insured? I had a similar vet bill and the bun wasn't insured. I paid what I could and then the rest in instalments over a year.

So pleased to hear this update, you have a lovely bond with her, she knows you're helping her bless her xxx

Sadly not Rhianna, I didn't get the chance to before pre-existing conditions (stasis) and they wouldn't have covered her for any stasis related episode after that - which is all she's ever been to the vet for (non routine)!
I've learned the hard way: Insure your rabbits!! It is definitely worth it in the long run. If/when I have any more (let's be honest, it's going to happen :p I need rabbits like people need air!) I'll definitely be getting them insured.
My previous vet, who I'd been with for years, didn't do installments but because they knew me on a few occassions allowed me to pay the rest a little later (a few days, the following week in my dog's case). This surgery requires full payment straight away.
But like I say, she's completely worth it <3

PetsMum: You know, I've said this before and I know I'm going to sound crazy but.. After her bad episode back in Feb last year (not this year) she changed. She wasn't just a timid bunny who basically sat in a corner most of the time, she really changed. She became a lot happier and as crazy as it sounds it was like she gained an appreciation for life. She was just happy to be here. Crazy or not, I truly believe she understood how close she'd come to not making it and was glad just to be alive. She's been like that ever since. She's happy all the time, she's the most vocal rabbits I've ever known - letting out happy little honks and grunts for food, strokes or just anytime she's really happy!
They understand more than we think they do. I think today she was grateful to be home and getting better :)
She's eating some veg right now :D She didn't want it earlier, sticking mostly to hay but finally decided some fresh herbs would actually be nice!
Poor angel's noticeably lost weight in all this but I'm sure she'll make it back.

Back