• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rebonding tonight update 7/4/19

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
Well I decided to bite the bullet as Harlequin and Beauty are spending a lot of time sitting next to each other and grooming each other through the bars. I also have 2 full days we’re in so I’m hoping that all goes to plan.

Just in the middle of sorting out the bathroom putting in new hides forage and hay.

Using the bathroom as it’s the only other room ( apart from the kichen) that they can go in as they are not litter trained yet. I don’t intend to section it if either as I want to be sitting in there with them in case they fight and I’m not a small girl so need room to move but the space isn’t huge.

I’m up untill about 2am and then I intend to sleep in the bath :lol: as I’m a light sleeper any shananigans and I’ll be up and alert rather quickly.

Feeling quiet nervous as last time was so easy with just a bit of chasing and that was it.

Last edited:
I hope it all goes well, sending lots of bonding vibes. I hope you get some sleep:thumb:

Thanks I’ll keep every one updated.

Sleep what’s that! Iv not been getting much any way so I doubt it I’ll miss it if I don’t get any. The bath is as comftable as I can make it tho. The one thing that would scare me senseless is if I get jumped on in the middle of the night :lol:

Five mins to make coffee then we will all be cozy and getting along. Well a girl can hope :lol:

Thank you. We’ve had one nip between the two so far. Harlequine demanded grooming and beauty ignored her then turned to the hay and started eating.

I’m going to give it a while and reassess though as Harlequin has got really stressed I think and has thrown her self at me and the walls a few times although she may be calming down. Only other time she has done this is at the vets :(

There has been some grooming from Harlequin although both are still demanding it and Beauty has tried to hump twice with Harlequin running off.

Good luck. But "sleeping" in the bath, not even for bunnies! :thumb:

Thanks.

I’m just hoping that I don’t turn on the taps in the middle of the night :lol: :lol:

We now have eating side by side and Harlequin has progressed to coming to me for cuddles instead of doing what she was. We’ve had a heart to heart which I was almost crying and talking to her about not doing it. She’s also started eating so it’s a little reasurance.

Just some pictures

eae205c4566de8e7820c8e852365670d.jpg

59cdd1b83b5071473926c7494beacc97.jpg
d25d63f44a5e9744288f70c5729dbcea.jpg

And Harlequin having some reassuring cuddles

22c2c536d8900e755ba0e9ad12f4f4f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohhhh this looks like it's going very well! [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I hope so. I couldn’t go through the first two hours again. Hearlequin was breaking my heart. I’m glad I gave it a bit longer tho to see if she would calm down.

We’v also come across two new very nommy foods. Readiy grass green oat hay is being munched like no tomorow and both girls love the little bits of fiber first they been getting :)

Just this second I have a parrot on my shoulder or maybe that’s harlequin :lol: :lol: not sure which way it’s going now first Beauty was humping but Harlequin was running away now Harlequin just humped Beauty and then they came apart and circled for two seconds the next thing I know I have a Harlequin parrot on my shoulder who jumped off and they are both happily munching the oat hay again.

Never a dull moment with rabbits!

Both Harlequine and Beauty are sitting next to the bathroom door thumping feet and pawing at it in a joint effort to go home back to the pen.

Harlequin inparticular is geing very agitated again and I don’t want her to start throwing her self at walls again. They are doing exceptionally well with each other seens it’s been less then 12 hours with nothing but a few humps nips and a tiny amount of fur pulling. There has been lots of grooming sitting close to each other and even sharing strands of hay a few flops and sploofs as well.

I know it’s not the done thing but if Harlequin keeps getting more agitated I may consider putting them back in the top half of the pen because I can’t bear to watch her throw her self at walls again last night was heart breaking enough watching her panic.

Thank you CD. No sleep what so ever but I don’t mind. In the end the bath was so I uncomftable I tried to sleep on the floor but kept getting jumped on and groomed :lol:

Glad it has gone well. I've no experience of bonding bunnies so I can't give any advice about how long they need before going 'home', but I hope it continues to go as well for you and them.

Thank you Orenoko.

Harlequin started throwing her self at the walls again 😞 so Iv put them in the pen again because I’m not willing to let her hurt herself in panic. I would have never forgiven myself! It seems to be new enviroments sends her into a panic. She does the same at the vets.

Even though its only been 20mins Harlequin seems much more calm now and they are both munching loads side by side. Pen has been nutralised of smells have removed all toys except the hides they had in the bathroom and added loads of hay ( three diffrent types) and a pile of forage.

I always told myself I would follow the girls lead and think Iv made the right desigon.

I think you have to follow your instincts and your rabbits personalities and needs when bonding, and you have done that :thumb: I hope it continues to go well :love:

Thank you Zoobec. I wasn’t sticking to any rules except to do what was best for them and to try to read them as best as I can.

It’s still going well I think. A small amount of chasing but I expected that and only for a minute or two at a time. The hides are in the middle at angles so it helps break it up so disrupts the chasing a bit.

Thank you Zoobec. I wasn’t sticking to any rules except to do what was best for them and to try to read them as best as I can.

It’s still going well I think. A small amount of chasing but I expected that and only for a minute or two at a time. The hides are in the middle at angles so it helps break it up so disrupts the chasing a bit.

Very often this is the best way to success with bonding in my view. I'm so pleased it's going well.

Back