• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help please - happy update

Nikki26

Mama Doe
Following on from my last post about not being able to find a girlie rabbit for Ted, I picked one up from a local rescue this morning and am now really doubting myself about bonding. I have them set up in two small pens next to each other and have left them all day. The new girl is very active, kindly rearranging her pen for me, shredding newspaper etc. Ted has been very quiet all day.

I think I made a mistake of putting them in together this evening and there was aggression from both sides so I separated them quickly. Any advice on how best to proceed? Just keep swapping pens so they get used to each others smell? How long do I do this for? I’m not going to lie, I was hoping to bond quickly so they can go back out into their shed!

Any tips for me? How would I know if the bond definitely isn’t going to work?

Last edited:
I would do side by side living for at least a week. Only when you see them spending lots of time lying next to each other, separated by the enclosure panel, would I attempt a meeting on neutral territory.

The new Doe needs time to settle in too, to make sure she’s eating and pooping OK. You need time to get to know behaviours that are normal for her. You won’t be able to accurately read how she is behaving when introduced to Ted unless you first have some insight into her character.

Swapping toys around is a good idea. Also putting a few of Teds fecal poop into Doe’s litter tray and vice versa. If the panel separating them has wide spaced bars you’ll need to add some extra mesh so neither Rabbit can stick their nose through and risk it being nipped.

I would do side by side living for at least a week. Only when you see them spending lots of time lying next to each other, separated by the enclosure panel, would I attempt a meeting on neutral territory.

The new Doe needs time to settle in too, to make sure she’s eating and pooping OK. You need time to get to know behaviours that are normal for her. You won’t be able to accurately read how she is behaving when introduced to Ted unless you first have some insight into her character.

Swapping toys around is a good idea. Also putting a few of Teds fecal poop into Doe’s litter tray and vice versa. If the panel separating them has wide spaced bars you’ll need to add some extra mesh so neither Rabbit can stick their nose through and risk it being nipped.

I agree. The new girl is neutered I assume? All bonds are slightly different depending upon the different personalities of the Rabbits. Try not to make too many changes. Remember, most Rabbits will bond as they need a friend but it takes time for them to trust one another.

Quick update - it didn’t work with the first girl, she was so energetic and busy that it was a bit overwhelming for Ted and me. So we are now trying a Second Lady who is much much calmer. I kept her and Ted completely separate for a few days to let them both settle and then set them up in adjoining pens. Ted has been sat near the barrier today but neither is showing much interest in each other so far after an initial sniff. Do I keep swapping them over until the do choose to lie next to each other or do you think I can try putting them together in a neutral space at the weekend?

I am trying to go at their pace but selfishly am impatient as I just want them to live together happily! Will make my life easier too as keeping them separate comes with its own issues.

Quick update - it didn’t work with the first girl, she was so energetic and busy that it was a bit overwhelming for Ted and me. So we are now trying a Second Lady who is much much calmer. I kept her and Ted completely separate for a few days to let them both settle and then set them up in adjoining pens. Ted has been sat near the barrier today but neither is showing much interest in each other so far after an initial sniff. Do I keep swapping them over until the do choose to lie next to each other or do you think I can try putting them together in a neutral space at the weekend?

I am trying to go at their pace but selfishly am impatient as I just want them to live together happily! Will make my life easier too as keeping them separate comes with its own issues.

I'm sorry this got missed :(

I hope you are having more success with the second lady. How is it going now?

I'm sorry this got missed :(

I hope you are having more success with the second lady. How is it going now?

Thanks Omi. I think we are doing ok. I introduced them for the first time yesterday morning in the bathroom and it all seemed to go ok. They were nice and calm. Then had an evening session in a dog crate - that all seemed to start ok, both had a nibble and a wash and she was lying down. She seems ok until Ted starts moving and then she is on full alert. They had a few episodes of chasing each other so I called it a day. Had another session this morning and all was calm again. Hopefully I’m doing this ok.

I just have an empty crate with newspaper and some hay. Do I keep it like this til they are comfortable with each other?

Thanks Omi. I think we are doing ok. I introduced them for the first time yesterday morning in the bathroom and it all seemed to go ok. They were nice and calm. Then had an evening session in a dog crate - that all seemed to start ok, both had a nibble and a wash and she was lying down. She seems ok until Ted starts moving and then she is on full alert. They had a few episodes of chasing each other so I called it a day. Had another session this morning and all was calm again. Hopefully I’m doing this ok.

I just have an empty crate with newspaper and some hay. Do I keep it like this til they are comfortable with each other?

It all sounds like normal bonding behaviour to me. She will be on full alert when Ted starts to move as she probably doesn't completely trust him yet. A bit of chasing is OK too, as long as there is no aggression.

I think you are doing it perfectly OK and I think I would leave things as they are until they seem to be trusting of each other. Then when you change things, do it gradually. Fingers crossed :D

So buns have been together in a dog crate for 24 hours now. One minor chasing episode yesterday morning but after that all seems calm. What are the next steps for them? They are both eating and lying down and come up to each other but they haven’t groomed each other yet. Do I just keep them as they are or extend the area they are in a bit?

Personally I would leave them as they are for 2 more days. You need to see them eating together in a relaxed manner, don't worry about grooming, that will come later. Then you can slowly increase their space. Small steps!

Definitely don't rush things. Constantly changing things will just upset the bonding as they are not being allowed to settle in a stable environment, so are constantly being stressed. Let them get used to each other and then increase the space. 24hrs is not long enough for a secure bond.

Thank you both. Will keep going as we are until the weekend and will reassess then. Definitely don’t want to do anything to threaten the bond. xx

I've just re-read my reply and it sounds like you have to wait until you see them grooming before increasing their space. In fact you might not see them grooming at all as they may wait until you are not around.

So everything has gone really well between Ted and Betty. I moved them out to a pen within the rabbit shed on Sunday and decided today to let them have the ground floor and all has gone well. There has been a small bit of chasing but no aggression in it and we have spied on them grooming each other using our cameras. Will let them settle again before allowing them up the ramp or into the aviary.

So everything has gone really well between Ted and Betty. I moved them out to a pen within the rabbit shed on Sunday and decided today to let them have the ground floor and all has gone well. There has been a small bit of chasing but no aggression in it and we have spied on them grooming each other using our cameras. Will let them settle again before allowing them up the ramp or into the aviary.

:love: well done to you & Ted and Betty

Last edited:
Back