• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis again!

Sending so many vibes for beautiful Truffle. I know the stress and worry you are under is immense. I hope the vets can help get to the bottom of the problem. Hugs to you both xx

Thank you so much I really appreciate that. Yes I’m a bit all over the place because I’m so upset but also I’ve not had much sleep this week so that’s made me more emotional and stressy.

Me too :)
I think he’s in the right place though, he seems to funk out at home but do better at the vets.
Thank you so much xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teeny update,
My nurse friend text me and said he’s done some small hard pebble poops a little bunch. So not a lot and not good poops but at least there is signs of things moving through again considering how slow his guts have been getting.

I hope he keeps fighting and there will be more positive news later on.

My poor Huffle-Puff <3

Trufftypuffty we need you to eat and poop please. Lots of vibes being sent xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Teeny update,
My nurse friend text me and said he’s done some small hard pebble poops a little bunch. So not a lot and not good poops but at least there is signs of things moving through again considering how slow his guts have been getting.

I hope he keeps fighting and there will be more positive news later on.

My poor Huffle-Puff <3

I am glad things are moving, albeit slowly. That's progress!

I hope he keeps fighting too. Lots of vibes and hugs xx

I am glad things are moving, albeit slowly. That's progress!

I hope he keeps fighting too. Lots of vibes and hugs xx

Thank you, me too!! I was just thinking although it’s a tiny step, at least it’s forward....so I’m hanging on to that.

Me too, he normally is a fighter but this morning when I picked him up and he let us just take his temperature, which was our first time and he just let us and didn’t kick up a stink I thought he’d lost the Will. But sounds like he’s trying for just again.

Thank you so much I really appreciate it xx

I’m so sorry Truffy isn’t doing so well this morning [emoji17] I really hope the vets are able to help him today.

I was just wondering whether the stronger pain killer they gave last night was vetergesic? That can really knock some bunnies for six and could explain why he was so tranced last night. If he was really out of it he probably wouldn’t have eaten much last night, hence why his gut slowed down again this morning. One of my buns was so catatonic on it I now ask vets not to give it to her unless they think there’s a real clinical necessity for her to have it.

Anyway, just thought I’d throw that out there. Sending Truffle millions more vibes xx

Oh I just thought of something else. Have they had a good check around the base of his ears for any lumps that would indicate ear abscesses? That may be the source of the infection. Thought I’d mention it as lops are very prone to ear infections/abscesses.

I’m so sorry Truffy isn’t doing so well this morning [emoji17] I really hope the vets are able to help him today.

I was just wondering whether the stronger pain killer they gave last night was vetergesic? That can really knock some bunnies for six and could explain why he was so tranced last night. If he was really out of it he probably wouldn’t have eaten much last night, hence why his gut slowed down again this morning. One of my buns was so catatonic on it I now ask vets not to give it to her unless they think there’s a real clinical necessity for her to have it.

Anyway, just thought I’d throw that out there. Sending Truffle millions more vibes xx

Oh I just thought of something else. Have they had a good check around the base of his ears for any lumps that would indicate ear abscesses? That may be the source of the infection. Thought I’d mention it as lops are very prone to ear infections/abscesses.

Thank you. It’s such a shame after he did well yesterday. Me too :-( hoping I get an update soon.

Unfortunately I didn’t think to ask what it was she gave yesterday. I’ll ask my nurse friend if she can look at his chart from yesterday. But thank you for sharing your experience I’ll definitely look into it because if he had it maybe that didn’t help as you say.

Um, she did a general look in his ears yesterday but not down them and I’ve been smooshing his ears and face and not noticed anything....but I can’t say for sure because I wasn’t looking. I’ll bare that in mind to and see what they say later and mention it.

Thank you for your ideas :-D anything could help. Xx

So just had a call from the vet that saw Truffy yesterday.

His temperature has not changed really since this morning, it’s 40 instead of 41. Taking syringe feeds well and had a tiny bit more poop at 12 but gut sounds are still very quiet :-(

She said next things to think about going forwards are either injectable antibiotics or xrays.
So I said I’ll go for xrays because bloods don’t come back till tomorrow and if they can see the problem now that’s better than waiting. I requested a full body one so his ears can be seen too just in case, and I requested conscious ones if possible because he’s good if he feels smooshed in a towel and I want as little drugs as possible in him.

So having to borrow money off my parents now too but it will be worth it if we can see the problem and get on top of it.

She hasn’t seen him since yesterday and said he looks about the same as yesterday, but I said that’s actually good because this morning he looked terrible and like he was thinking about giving up.
So not great news he’s still super poorly :-( but still trying x

So just had a call from the vet that saw Truffy yesterday.

His temperature has not changed really since this morning, it’s 40 instead of 41. Taking syringe feeds well and had a tiny bit more poop at 12 but gut sounds are still very quiet :-(

She said next things to think about going forwards are either injectable antibiotics or xrays.
So I said I’ll go for xrays because bloods don’t come back till tomorrow and if they can see the problem now that’s better than waiting. I requested a full body one so his ears can be seen too just in case, and I requested conscious ones if possible because he’s good if he feels smooshed in a towel and I want as little drugs as possible in him.

So having to borrow money off my parents now too but it will be worth it if we can see the problem and get on top of it.

She hasn’t seen him since yesterday and said he looks about the same as yesterday, but I said that’s actually good because this morning he looked terrible and like he was thinking about giving up.
So not great news he’s still super poorly :-( but still trying x

Glad to hear about his temperature.

Some info I found here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sickbun.html

A slightly elevated temperature (around 104oF/39.9oC) can be caused by emotional stress (such as a trip to the vet's office or the discomfort of a health problem), heat stress or the early stages of an infection. A very high temperature (105oF/40.5oC or higher) should be considered an emergency.

Hopefully he's out of the danger zone as regards that now.

Fight on little one xx

I'm sorry that there's no real improvement, but excellent plan to have an x-ray done. I hope that they manage to do it as a conscious one. One more step to identifying what the problem is. Topping up the vibes for him.

Glad to hear about his temperature.

Some info I found here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sickbun.html

A slightly elevated temperature (around 104oF/39.9oC) can be caused by emotional stress (such as a trip to the vet's office or the discomfort of a health problem), heat stress or the early stages of an infection. A very high temperature (105oF/40.5oC or higher) should be considered an emergency.

Hopefully he's out of the danger zone as regards that now.

Fight on little one xx

See everything does seem to point to infection then. I know he’s staying at the vets but his temp was just as high this morning at home so to me suggesting it’s infection rather than emotional.

Thank you for the info :)
I know he needs to we can’t loose him xx

Back