• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Phillip

I’m ok, thanks for asking. Feeling a bit sad but hoping Phillip has a while left in him yet.

He just booped me on the nose then licked my face so at least he’s forgiven me after the car journey :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's sometimes hour to hour, or minute by minute I've found. Difficult not to be on an emotional rollercoaster.

Hugs for you xx

Thanks for the love everyone. I am currently nomming my way through a delicious home made hay, banana and plantain cookie!

cb8516595a91a25b0bbafd462e194c84.jpg

95dcc39f4b6bc975f2adb081a4642724.jpg

5b3f29a4d273301a15e6af4c7ed5ee26.jpg

ec20a88f93b06464d1c29f430eb348ec.jpg

What a spoilt bun :lol:

Thanks for the love everyone. I am currently nomming my way through a delicious home made hay, banana and plantain cookie!

cb8516595a91a25b0bbafd462e194c84.jpg

95dcc39f4b6bc975f2adb081a4642724.jpg

5b3f29a4d273301a15e6af4c7ed5ee26.jpg

ec20a88f93b06464d1c29f430eb348ec.jpg

What a spoilt bun :lol:

That sounds scrummy Phillip !! I better not let my Bunnies hear about the cookies or they'll be demanding I make some for them. That could be tricky as I only have a microwave oven and I cant cook !!

Little Phillip update. Have been to visit John today as a follow up from when he was a bit down over Christmas.

He’s really improved since the increased metacam dosage, he’s put on weight and his heart sounded relatively clear so he didn’t need an ultrasound as thought.

Found out that the metacam isn’t actually for his heart problem but for his teeth roots! Apparently a lot of them are splayed and since it’s more than one, it’s just treated with pain relief which will keep him eating, which will help grind the teeth down or something.

I asked John if he needed anything to protect his stomach with all the pain relief and he said it was a good question but he doesn’t tend to give anything out like that. He said all medicines have the potential to cause side effects, no matter how strong the dosage, so that’s why we have regular checkups and if anything changes then you can try different pain relief. He also said metacam generally doesn’t cause kidney problems unless there is something underlying and rabbits have a strong tolerance for it anyway.

So positive update and I’m really pleased as he now doesn’t need to see him for another 3 months [emoji16]

Little Phillip update. Have been to visit John today as a follow up from when he was a bit down over Christmas.

He’s really improved since the increased metacam dosage, he’s put on weight and his heart sounded relatively clear so he didn’t need an ultrasound as thought.

Found out that the metacam isn’t actually for his heart problem but for his teeth roots! Apparently a lot of them are splayed and since it’s more than one, it’s just treated with pain relief which will keep him eating, which will help grind the teeth down or something.

I asked John if he needed anything to protect his stomach with all the pain relief and he said it was a good question but he doesn’t tend to give anything out like that. He said all medicines have the potential to cause side effects, no matter how strong the dosage, so that’s why we have regular checkups and if anything changes then you can try different pain relief. He also said metacam generally doesn’t cause kidney problems unless there is something underlying and rabbits have a strong tolerance for it anyway.

So positive update and I’m really pleased as he now doesn’t need to see him for another 3 months [emoji16]

Wow, three months - really good news :D

Excellent news :thumb: Interesting to hear JC's views on kidneys and long term Metacam.

Back