• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites?

Alicia

Mama Doe
Just seen this on Izzy. Is it mites? If so how do I treat her?

4hwlxu.jpg

Our bunnies had a preparation from the vets that was put on the back of their necks - approx £6 but at the moment I cant remember the name of it sorry

That doesn't necessarily look like mites to me but if it is she will need Ivermectin. This looks more like she has had a lump of fur pulled out.

It's hard to tell from the photo. We've been treating Thor with Ivermectin for mites (cost £15 from our vets for 3 doses every 2 weeks) his just looks like dandruff, but it's been quite a mild case and not really sore or bothering him x

Just seen this on Izzy. Is it mites? If so how do I treat her?

4hwlxu.jpg

Has she had a vaccination in recent weeks ? The area looks more like an almost healed vaccine reaction than mites, but it's hard to know for sure from looking at a photo. I would get your Vet to take a look first before using any strong chemical treatments on her. No point in using them unless they are really necessary :)

Info about mites here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/skin-and-fur-parasites/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

She was vaccinated about 6-8 weeks ago I think, I've not noticed it before because she's been outside and because of work it's always been dark when I see to her :( she's inside now so I can keep an eye on her. I'll make a vets appointment for her

She was vaccinated about 6-8 weeks ago I think, I've not noticed it before because she's been outside and because of work it's always been dark when I see to her :( she's inside now so I can keep an eye on her. I'll make a vets appointment for her

I would not be overly worried, even if it is mites it can be easily treated :) But as I mentioned, a vaccination can result in a similar 'scaly skin' and it can look just like the area on Izzy's neck. Given that the location is exactly where a vaccination would be administered I'd put money on it being due to that :)

I took her to the vets this morning and she said it was mites and has given me a spot on to put on her and Beans every 2 weeks. I've thoroughly cleaned the cage and will stay on top of cleanliness, bit of an odd one but they live in a pen with a vinyl flooring but the other side of the pen there is carpet, is there any way they can catch it again? Do I need to scrub the carpet too? They aren't directly on it

I took her to the vets this morning and she said it was mites and has given me a spot on to put on her and Beans every 2 weeks. I've thoroughly cleaned the cage and will stay on top of cleanliness, bit of an odd one but they live in a pen with a vinyl flooring but the other side of the pen there is carpet, is there any way they can catch it again? Do I need to scrub the carpet too? They aren't directly on it

Glad to hear that you managed to get to the Vets and I hope the treatment clears the problem up quickly. There is some detailed information about Cheyletiella mites, (assuming it is that which your Vet has diagnosed), on the following link. The link includes information about environmental control

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Cheyletiellosis.htm

Thank you for the link, Jane, it's very helpful. I will stay on top of cleanliness and keep a close eye on both rabbits. Hopefully this will clear up fine :)

Thank you for the link, Jane, it's very helpful. I will stay on top of cleanliness and keep a close eye on both rabbits. Hopefully this will clear up fine :)

Mites proliferate when a rabbit has an immune system challenge. A vaccination could be such a challenge.

With appropriate treatment, all will be well I am sure :)

Back