• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zigzag twitching head

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
So Zigzag has decided to have a flare up at the worst time possible!

He won’t stop twitching his head, I cleaned his ears yesterday with the oil stuff asi thought it might be ear wax build up.

I’m going to a non rabbit savvy vet today. Could it be ear mites? His ears look lovely though!!!

Would this affect his appetite?

Thanks

If it's come on suddenly, it could be a foreign body eg grass seed which has worked its way into the ear or elsewhere through the fur. Some of them are horrible things and they just keep on going through the skin,etc. Mine had more than the usual amount of debris in their fluffy cheeks this morning.

A vet visit is definitely a good idea.

If the twitching is neurological it could be a middle ear problem. Are his eye-balls flicking ?
If he’s not eating it could be because he feels dizzy.

Thanks both, I hadn’t thought of a grass seed!

His eyes aren’t going from side to side, yet anyway. :censored:

I have a feeling I’m going to end up going to the RVS- I’ve had to clean his rear end daily x 2 since Monday, he can’t get to his cecos, he’s eating but won’t eat pellets, so perhaps teeth, and now he won’t stop twitching.

He may be having a bad flare up.

Thanks both, I hadn’t thought of a grass seed!

His eyes aren’t going from side to side, yet anyway. :censored:

I have a feeling I’m going to end up going to the RVS- I’ve had to clean his rear end daily x 2 since Monday, he can’t get to his cecos, he’s eating but won’t eat pellets, so perhaps teeth, and now he won’t stop twitching.

He may be having a bad flare up.

Flare up of what ? EC ?

No, a flare up of all his symptoms/ ailments which include Arthritis, calcification around the jaw, respiratory issues, and now a twitching head!

Sorry if I wasn’t clear

I don't have any advice, but I want to send him lots of vibes. You already have so much going on, too... I hope the vet can tell what's the matter, and that the head twitching can be easily treated, whatever its cause. I'm sorry his other issues are flaring up, too. :( I hope he'll feel better soon.

Thanks both, Reader your words are so kind. I know you have ongoing issues with ME, which must be incredibly challenging.

They gave Zigzag some k laser, and also took a sample from both of his ears. There was more wax on the right ear. This is a new one for me, but they’re testing the bacteria in the ear. (I sound like a right tight ****, but the ear profile lab thing isn’t cheap!). The vet was lovely, but odd not going to your usual vet.

Flare ups are currently monthly, with both of them, and I’m finding it all hard to manage. I hope Zigs picks up soon.,

Rabbits with arthritis in their spine are prone to ear infections as they can’t scratch their ears to clean them too well. Hope ZZ will start to feel better soon x

Ooh I didn’t know this! Thank you.

Does an antibiotic usually clear it up? And how often do you clean your bunnies ears? I’m a bit ad hoc with them both.

e798b162340cef4592371775fdbfd7c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooh I didn’t know this! Thank you.

Does an antibiotic usually clear it up? And how often do you clean your bunnies ears? I’m a bit ad hoc with them both.

e798b162340cef4592371775fdbfd7c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some ear infections can be a challenge to treat. Info here

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...itis-externa-media-and-interna-in-rabbits.pdf

For Rabbits with hind leg mobility issues I clean their ear canals a couple of times a week. But only after a Vet has confirmed the tympanic membranes are intact. If they are ruptured putting any liquid into the ear canals can make things a lot worse.

Aw, cute Zigzag. I love his little white socks. :love:

Thanks both, Reader your words are so kind. I know you have ongoing issues with ME, which must be incredibly challenging.

They gave Zigzag some k laser, and also took a sample from both of his ears. There was more wax on the right ear. This is a new one for me, but they’re testing the bacteria in the ear. (I sound like a right tight ****, but the ear profile lab thing isn’t cheap!). The vet was lovely, but odd not going to your usual vet.

Flare ups are currently monthly, with both of them, and I’m finding it all hard to manage. I hope Zigs picks up soon.,
Aw, thank you. It really can be, yes.

I'm glad the vet was lovely, since they weren't your usual one. I hope the k laser helps Zigzag, and that they can figure out if there's something going on with his ears.

I'm sorry they're both having monthly flare ups these days. No wonder you're finding it hard to manage... That sounds like a lot, with them both needing so much care. One unwell bunny is already hard, but two... :(

Aww I love that photo, he's doing his Pilates :) really hope that he's feeling better soon, sending lots of vibes for him xx

Back