• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hormonal behaviour from spayed bunny!?!?

littlemy94

Young Bun
Hi everyone!

I've had my beautiful house bunny Buffy for two years now. From day 1, she was perfectly litter trained.

However, she started peeing on the sofa a few months ago (in the spot where I sit!) We gave her multiple second chances but she kept doing it. She's no longer allowed on the sofas, and that seemed to solve the problem.

BUT! Yesterday, we were sat on the lounge carpet, hanging out, having cuddles and eating fenugreek crunchies! She seemed to get overexcited and a bit boisterous, hassling me for more treats. At one point I thought she was going to pee on me! She was sat on my lap and lifted her tail. Yikes. Anyway I pushed her off quickly. But a short while later she peed on the carpet next to me :( She had never done that before in the two years I've had her. We cleaned the spot with vinegar to get rid of the smell and banished her from the lounge for the rest of the evening.

I'm really scared she will do it again, and no longer be so beautifully litter trained! I think it is a hormonal/possession thing. She also marks my hands/fingers regularly with her chin. I am confused because I had her spayed as soon as I got her (at 11 months). And for the past couple of years she has been doing so well. Is it possible she just got overexcited with all the fuss and treats?

For now, I am trying to keep her nice and calm when we are in the lounge. I have also only been giving treats when she does tricks for them. I thought maybe that would teach her that they're not just hers for the taking. I'm also taking her back to her litter tray at regular intervals and giving her a treat when she hops in. Is there anything else I can do?

Sorry for the long post! Does anyone else have a bunny who goes absolutely bonkers for fenugreek crunchies? Both my girl bunnies are absolutely loopy about them. It's almost like an addiction!!!

Hi :) x

There could be a number of things causing the behaviour including excitement, stress or something learned.

It sounds like with the treats it's excitement. My girls will actually fight over furgreek so we don't feed them anymore :oops:
Have there been any changes in the house, or any building work going on around the house or locally to the home?

It sounds like you're doing the best things, taking her back to her litter tray every now & then.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi :) x

There could be a number of things causing the behaviour including excitement, stress or something learned.

It sounds like with the treats it's excitement. My girls will actually fight over furgreek so we don't feed them anymore :oops:
Have there been any changes in the house, or any building work going on around the house or locally to the home?

It sounds like you're doing the best things, taking her back to her litter tray every now & then.

Hey! Thanks for your reply!

She was definitely excited, but didn't seem at all stressed (until afterwards, when she knew she'd been naughty and tried to hide behind the sofa! :roll: )

Yes- we have been painting the lounge, which has meant moving furniture and blocking parts of the room off with puppy panels! She had full access again the other night when she peed on the carpet, but I do wonder if she still felt a little threatened and like we were messing with her territory? Or maybe she just wanted to make it smell like her again? :lol:

Also you mentioned learned behaviours. As she was spayed quite late (when I adopted her at 11 months old) maybe she had already got into the habit of marking things with her chin? She does it a lot!

So the painting could have been the reason for her peeing on the sofa - she's making it her area again since the changes.

It's possible she's got into the habit before being spayed although one of mine that was spayed at 15weeks chins everything... multiple times ;)

There is also always the possibility of a urinary tract issue (eg infection etc), so best to keep a watch on things for now and get her checked out by a vet if need be.

There is also always the possibility of a urinary tract issue (eg infection etc), so best to keep a watch on things for now and get her checked out by a vet if need be.
Thank you. Forgot about this x

Back