• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building Trust

Raccooon

New Kit
Hello, I would really like some advice with my two buns. I have two Netherland dwarf babies, a few month's/ half year old now and I've had them for a couple of months now. I've given them their space, only picked them up to check them over/ stroked them when they've let me, but I don't seem to be making any progress in terms of them trusting me. They're both really skittish and run away if I do any large/ quick movements, or even normal movements. They live in my room and have free range of the space. They still seem quite scared of me and I was wondering if there was any advice anyone could give me to help me and the buns bond? I want to see them come out of their shells more, they've done a little, the girl(Mocha) is more confident than the boy(Mochi), but still... I feel like I'm missing something/not doing something I could be to bring us closer.

How long did it take you guys before your buns trusted you?

Thanks x

Rabbits are prey animals and are likely to react to sudden movements - or any movement sometimes. Have you tried sitting on the floor with them and allowing them to come to you. That is often the 'key' to bonding with rabbits and gaining their trust with you and their surroundings. You say they have free range of your room - do they also have a space they feel they can retreat to - such as a dog crate with the door left open permanently, with hay etc. You are quite right in not forcing them to be picked up - but when you do, do you make sure they are snuggled right into you, with no legs left dangling, so they feel secure?

It really does take time but no reason why you shouldn't 'get there'.

Well, my 2 cents...

First: Start with a very small space. The cage for a week or so, and increase their range gradually, that's how they learn what's their safe base. Imho they should have a hiding box in there. If they have the tendency to bolt, and the space, they will bolt. They do not learn anything while running away and hiding.

Time is essential, patience and repetition. Spend as much time as possible very close to them, beside their hutch and later inside their run, give them treats now and then (always combined with a acustic reference, I smack "ts-ts", works great for calling them. Read a book inside their area, maybe even take some blankets and sleep there on the ground, so they can check you out, get used to your presence. Ignore most of what they are doing then, unless it's an opportunity to give them a nose rub or a treat for coming close.

Never ever get frustrated, never act in anger, stay calm, never catch them unless it is something they can handle. Try to give a nose rub and ear base tickle whenever feasable, but act indifferent if they show any sign they are going to bolt. It takes time.
A week ago I took in a foster dog from a friend who is in hospital, and my free range house bunny Herr Hase wasn't very thrilled about her, but patience, repetition and avoiding any escalating does the job.

Most of all, be confident in what you do. Animals are very good in taking up the vibes, if they feel you're unsure they will exploit that, or adopt that attitude - if you are nervous, they will be too. (I'm not sure all I wrote makes much sense in english:roll:).

There are skittish rabbits that will never ever be managable, I have those pop up now and then in my litters - they definitly taste better than the others, would never sell one of those as pet or breeding stock. But they are rare (in my stock), and I don't think you've got one of them.

That talk about them being prey animals, well, it's basically true, but rabbits are really really great when it comes to decide what a real danger is and what not. Sudden movements though are better be avoided. Thunderstorms, fireworks, hammer, road noise, chainsaw (sic!) - about everything, they learn quickly that it's no danger and ignore it. Same is true for a friendly dog in their living space. Although they are prey animals, they are happy with mostly everything they have a chance to get used to.

That takes some time, whatever it is. And repitition. And ignoring any frightened behaviour. Act as an example.

Last edited:
Rabbits are prey animals and are likely to react to sudden movements - or any movement sometimes. Have you tried sitting on the floor with them and allowing them to come to you. That is often the 'key' to bonding with rabbits and gaining their trust with you and their surroundings. You say they have free range of your room - do they also have a space they feel they can retreat to - such as a dog crate with the door left open permanently, with hay etc. You are quite right in not forcing them to be picked up - but when you do, do you make sure they are snuggled right into you, with no legs left dangling, so they feel secure?

It really does take time but no reason why you shouldn't 'get there'.
I 100% support Babsie.
My girls have always been allowed their entire space. When I first got them, I'd lay/sit on the floor and read a book, eventually curiosity takes a hold and they come investigate.

Being their breed, they will be quite jumpy anyway. Just keep going as you are and they'll soon adjust to everything. My phoebe has been with us for almost 2 years, and she still has days where she runs away at every little movement.

When they're at the vets, also ask for sight and hearing to be checked as problems with these areas can make them more jumpy.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hello, I would really like some advice with my two buns. I have two Netherland dwarf babies, a few month's/ half year old now and I've had them for a couple of months now. I've given them their space, only picked them up to check them over/ stroked them when they've let me, but I don't seem to be making any progress in terms of them trusting me. They're both really skittish and run away if I do any large/ quick movements, or even normal movements. They live in my room and have free range of the space. They still seem quite scared of me and I was wondering if there was any advice anyone could give me to help me and the buns bond? I want to see them come out of their shells more, they've done a little, the girl(Mocha) is more confident than the boy(Mochi), but still... I feel like I'm missing something/not doing something I could be to bring us closer.

How long did it take you guys before your buns trusted you?

Thanks x

All rabbits are different :)

It often helps to get down on the floor, just reading a book or something, and let them come and explore you. At one of the Rescues where I work, one of the volunteers used to sit in the rabbits' pens reading them poetry and they loved it :) Now it may be that your two prefer crime thrillers or something like that, but you get the gist ;)

Are they both neutered?

Trust is slow to build, but as everyone says, get used to spending time on the floor will help.

Try feeding them pellets/treats/herbs by hand, and they'll eventually associate you with food. I personally got on the floor a few times a night, and gave them a treat or some veggies or herbs as soon as I sat down, and now, any time I get on the floor, they come running over. Be careful not to over-feed them though. Holding their dinner pellets in your hand while they eat will give you a chance to give them nose rubs too.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this, I've been pretty busy lately. The little boy is neutered, I'll get round to getting the girl done as well at some point in the future, for now I'm keeping an eye on her behaviour.

They already get super excited by dinner time! They know that I feed them when I wake up and go to sleep, so Mocha especially gets excited, sitting at her dish and running in little circles. That's where Mochis improvement has been, it used to take him such a long time to hope out of the cage and join in, but now he comes out almost straight away (sometimes even letting me stroke him once haha). I sit with them when I can, without crowding them, so I guess I'll just keep at it.

Thank you for all the responses guys!

Back