• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help regarding Tramadol

Hi All,

Does anyone know if Tramadol can stop rabbits form eating or at least slow their gut? My bun had her Tramadol dose increased a week ago to 3 times a day at 0.1ml (previously twice daily). She has no appetite and just picks at her hay and eats only a small amount of grass, she doesn't go near her nuggets. She is now rapidly losing weight so I'm wondering if it's the Tramadol increase or just her?

Hi All,

Does anyone know if Tramadol can stop rabbits form eating or at least slow their gut? My bun had her Tramadol dose increased a week ago to 3 times a day at 0.1ml (previously twice daily). She has no appetite and just picks at her hay and eats only a small amount of grass, she doesn't go near her nuggets. She is now rapidly losing weight so I'm wondering if it's the Tramadol increase or just her?

It really depends on the individual Rabbit. Inappetence is a possible side effect, but not all Rabbits react in the same way. I would contact your Vet to discuss the situation xx

Hi All,

Yes I have known this affect rabbits in this way. What I found a good idea was to give Ranitidine half an hour before the Tramadol dose (also twice daily) to protect the stomach from gastric ulceration. Tramadol can be hard on the stomach, as can Metacam.

I should speak with your vet about it. It's not good when a rabbit loses weight - how old is she and is she taking Tramadol for arthritis?

Yes she does have arthritis and is just over 7. She is already on Ranitidine so I wondered if the reason for her not eating and drinking properly was due to having too much Tramadol?

Yes she does have arthritis and is just over 7. She is already on Ranitidine so I wondered if the reason for her not eating and drinking properly was due to having too much Tramadol?

I would contact the Vet as he/she may suggest reducing the dose and/or seeing your Rabbit again to re-evaluate things to see if there is anything else going on x

Tramadol can be very good where rabbits have arthritis. But as I said, it can also have side effects.

Have a look here about dosages for Tramadol.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Analgesics/safe_analgesics.htm

My vet always errs on the side of caution and if anything, will prescribe slightly under the recommended dosage. So long as the meds work, you can alter the dose within a range.

It certainly could be a factor. In the case of my rabbit I had to solve the issue another way, but your vet is the first port of call. Ascertain were on the dosage scale the prescription falls, and take it from there.

There's some members' experiences here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?453164-Anyone-had-rabbits-on-tramadol

Some rabbits tolerate it really well. Others get dozy and zombie like (it's an opiod pain reliever) so not good for their appetite.

It can decrease gut motility as shown in this study:

http://www.iasj.net/iasj?func=fulltext&aId=6516

Last edited:
Back