• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly Strike

They have a good quality hay that they munch on all day. They get their pellets in the morning with a little bit of dried fruit mix, and at night they get some more pellets and some veggies, but I don't over feed them. I could try and feed them in 2 seperate bowls, that might work. Luckily she is not too overweight, just cuddly, but I want to keep an eye on her weight just in case. Rather be safe than sorry. The pellets I feed them are in a green bag, with an outline of a bunny on it, and cannot remember what it's called, and I am at work at the moment so cannot check.

I think your using burgess then, thats a good food to use. Its surpsing how small 50g looks you know. I had to weigh it it check it out. So from that you can remove a small amount and end up removing quite an amount from their calories of that day and they will hardly notice.

Does any bunnie have a preference for any of the foods?

Dried fruit is very sugar rich (if you think how suagry a rasin tastes compared to a grape) so its worth keeping them for treats or trying some fresh veggies. A carrot should last them all day plus they can spend all day chewing on it.

Of course they also need to have enough space to run in, even a rabbit fed not very much without excercise can get fat!

If shes not too overweight and their bums are clean then you can just do it all gradually rather than being really strict and feeling bad about it. If they are outside a bit of fat might be good if the Winters cold!

Thanks for all the info, I think I will do as you suggested, slowly, because it is not too serious now, but will keep an eye on her. The fruit mix I give with their pellets isn't really a sugary treat, this one is more little pieces of dried banana with a bit of oats and dried carrot, their are no raisins or anything like that in it, but I still give it to them sparingly and it's their favourite part of the day... they eat it all before they touch their pellets :lol:

Back