• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone given rabbits thyme to expell worms?

Quick update before work this morning. With a gross picture warning.......

After putting the buns to bed last night I noticed two oddly shaped poops and a double poop. (Pip always does one of these after her strange gas episodes) but she has never done a oddly shaped poop of any kind.

So I investigated them and there was a long thin jelly like and stretchy thing in these two poops. Now I don't know if this is a worm and if the thyme has expelled anything or its just mucus? She has never had mucus before though.

She is a good bun and has never eaten anything she shouldn't like carpet etc so I am sure it's not a foreign object she's eaten.

She is eating and drinking fine this morning which is a relief. So I'm off to work!

Sorry for poop picture!
7a0c0f6e12ffa33dca099e0b6c37fa8f.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Quick update before work this morning. With a gross picture warning.......

After putting the buns to bed last night I noticed two oddly shaped poops and a double poop. (Pip always does one of these after her strange gas episodes) but she has never done a oddly shaped poop of any kind.

So I investigated them and there was a long thin jelly like and stretchy thing in these two poops. Now I don't know if this is a worm and if the thyme has expelled anything or its just mucus? She has never had mucus before though.

She is a good bun and has never eaten anything she shouldn't like carpet etc so I am sure it's not a foreign object she's eaten.

She is eating and drinking fine this morning which is a relief. So I'm off to work!

Sorry for poop picture!
7a0c0f6e12ffa33dca099e0b6c37fa8f.jpg

Hi there and thank you for the gross piccie warning :wave:

Mucous in stools usually indicates inflammation. This would figure with what's been happening, so in fact I'm surprised you haven't seen this before.

Couple of links:

http://rabbit.org/the-mystery-of-rabbit-poop/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

If her gut has been inflamed it may take a couple of days to settle down.

I can't remember what meds she is on, but you could send that photo to your vet and ask if there's anything they would recommend? Just to be on the safe side ....

Hi mighty max.

I've looked at the links and I'd say it was more like the left hand photo in the parasite section on the medirabbit site rather that just gut mucus from stasis. Particularly because she never actually stopped pooping and the poops didnt get smaller. The thin stringy thing was totally gross and more elastic than mucus would be.

She is on no medication at all (panacur is ready to start but haven't given any yet)

All she has had is fresh thyme leaves every other day for a week.

Hi mighty max. Hope you had a nice day?

Sent the poop picture to my vets to look at and they said it looked like mucus not a worm. They said the vet I've been talking with is back in on tues so will give me a call. So not going to give her the Panacur till I talk to the vet first. This should give her gut time to recover.

On the plus side they are both bouncing around and doing golden poops tonight. She is such a mystery this bun!

X

Hi mighty max. Hope you had a nice day?

Sent the poop picture to my vets to look at and they said it looked like mucus not a worm. They said the vet I've been talking with is back in on tues so will give me a call. So not going to give her the Panacur till I talk to the vet first. This should give her gut time to recover.

On the plus side they are both bouncing around and doing golden poops tonight. She is such a mystery this bun!

X

Hi there :wave: Thank you I've had a lovely day!

Thank you for your update.

Yes it looked like mucous to me as well :)

Glad to hear they are bouncing around and the poops look good.
We just play Sherlock to their mysteriousness .. very trying :roll::lol:

Hi there :wave: Thank you I've had a lovely day!

Thank you for your update.

Yes it looked like mucous to me as well :)

Glad to hear they are bouncing around and the poops look good.
We just play Sherlock to their mysteriousness .. very trying :roll:[emoji38]
Weird that's she's never had it before with her gas symptoms.

I wondered if the thyme had upset her gut a little but I would of thought she'd keep having weird poops cos she has been eating it for a week now.

I am finding being Sherlock very stressful, wish she could just talk.

Weird that's she's never had it before with her gas symptoms.

I wondered if the thyme had upset her gut a little but I would of thought she'd keep having weird poops cos she has been eating it for a week now.

I am finding being Sherlock very stressful, wish she could just talk.

Well Pip was pulling her fur again earlier and I managed to get her to lift her chin by tempting her with a tasty dandelion! It's all bald again. :-(

Looking forward to the vet calling me tomorrow to see if I can start the panacur her poops are totally normal, no signs of mucus.

She must be in pain or irritated otherwise she wouldn't keep pulling her fur out. Poor little bun.

Well Pip was pulling her fur again earlier and I managed to get her to lift her chin by tempting her with a tasty dandelion! It's all bald again. :-(

Looking forward to the vet calling me tomorrow to see if I can start the panacur her poops are totally normal, no signs of mucus.

She must be in pain or irritated otherwise she wouldn't keep pulling her fur out. Poor little bun.

Oh dear, what a worry!!

Yes, if eating and poops seem normal it sounds a good plan to begin the Panacur

Vibes for you both xx

Archie and Pip say thanks and they are definitely eating! Should their poops be a little wet when they first pop out?
4a48bc20611bf5a9a3aaaafa4f421c5a.jpg

Archie and Pip say thanks and they are definitely eating! Should their poops be a little wet when they first pop out?
4a48bc20611bf5a9a3aaaafa4f421c5a.jpg

I suppose they might seem like it - not overly so though.

Are they different from previously?

I suppose they might seem like it - not overly so though.

Are they different from previously?
I don't know. I'm not sure if it's just because I'm staring at them so much now. Haha.

They are just a bit shiny but they soon dry out.

Yes, shiny I would expect :)
Ah that's OK then. She does seemed to have picked up a habit of weeing in their pen everyday now which she never used to do. I think it's part of whatever is upsetting her. I thought it was just when we were giving them their pellets late and she got a bit excited.

However I just saw her do two huge wees whilst eating hay. It's not incontinence though cos when she's in her cage she only wees in the litter tray!

Ah that's OK then. She does seemed to have picked up a habit of weeing in their pen everyday now which she never used to do. I think it's part of whatever is upsetting her. I thought it was just when we were giving them their pellets late and she got a bit excited.

However I just saw her do two huge wees whilst eating hay. It's not incontinence though cos when she's in her cage she only wees in the litter tray!

She sounds like a law unto herself :)

Hhmmm I have a little Nethie like that! [emoji38]
I think all Nethies are like that. I just went to put them to bed and she wee'd right in front of me. I'm not sure how much a bun should wee. But she has done 3 huge wees in the last 2 hrs!

Archie's are all in the tray so it's hard to compare!

Hi Mighty Max. Vet said we can start the panacur tonight so we gave the buns their first dose. Archie ate his straight away, Pip needed some convincing!

Do I need to do any cleaning to make sure they don't get re infected?

Hi Mighty Max. Vet said we can start the panacur tonight so we gave the buns their first dose. Archie ate his straight away, Pip needed some convincing!

Do I need to do any cleaning to make sure they don't get re infected?

I'm glad they've begun the course! 28 days is quite daunting though, isn't it?

Regards cleaning, common wisdom says to clean - either with 1% bleach solution for minimum of 30 seconds, or steam clean - on days 21 and 28 of treatment to break the life cycle of the parasite. However, I've never ever heard a vet give out this advice - so it's up to you :)

I'm glad they've begun the course! 28 days is quite daunting though, isn't it?

Regards cleaning, common wisdom says to clean - either with 1% bleach solution for minimum of 30 seconds, or steam clean - on days 21 and 28 of treatment. I've never ever heard a vet die out this advice though - so it's up to you :)

Hi

Luckily it's only the 9 day treatment! No the vet didn't give any advice re cleaning.

Back