• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Big teats!

Bebbeb

Young Bun
So Ebony is an un-spayed rabbit. She has been seen by the vet in the past when this originally occurred and they called her a "wonder bunny" as they have never seen anything like it but have heard about it and on its own, it always went down. However this time they've grown very big! I don't know if I should be worried or if there's anything I can do or anyone can do as the vet said before there was nothing they could do. Is it possible I try milk her? That sounds extremely strange, I know! But I know women breast feeding need to release milk as it's painful.

P.S. She isn't pregnant and has never been pregnant. This just happens now and then and I have been ensured it's normal!

So Ebony is an un-spayed rabbit. She has been seen by the vet in the past when this originally occurred and they called her a "wonder bunny" as they have never seen anything like it but have heard about it and on its own, it always went down. However this time they've grown very big! I don't know if I should be worried or if there's anything I can do or anyone can do as the vet said before there was nothing they could do. Is it possible I try milk her? That sounds extremely strange, I know! But I know women breast feeding need to release milk as it's painful.

P.S. She isn't pregnant and has never been pregnant. This just happens now and then and I have been ensured it's normal!

Unfortunately this does need to be investigated again as it might be indicative of mammary tumours. Uterine cancer is not the only cancer that can effect an unspayed Doe, they can get 'breast cancer' too. Sorry to be blunt, but it is a fact you need to bear in mind.

http://rabbit.org/tumors-in-rabbits/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/UterineAdenocarcinomaRabbit.htm

Of course it could be that she is having pseudopregnancies, this can include lactation.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Pseudopregnancy_Rabbit.htm

Mastitis is another possibility. But as I mentioned, a consultation with a Rabbit Savvy Vet is the best way forward :) Good luck.

I'm not going to worry you with info on scary stories, so I think my best advice is now to seek the help of an experienced rabbit vet.

If you feel you would like a second opinion from a rabbit savvy vet you can post another thread in Rabbit Chat:

"Rabbi Savvy Vet needed in (our location)" and RU members will help you

Good luck :D

Unfortunately this does need to be investigated again as it might be indicative of mammary tumours. Uterine cancer is not the only cancer that can effect an unspayed Doe, they can get 'breast cancer' too. Sorry to be blunt, but it is a fact you need to bear in mind.

http://rabbit.org/tumors-in-rabbits/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/UterineAdenocarcinomaRabbit.htm

Of course it could be that she is having pseudopregnancies, this can include lactation.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Pseudopregnancy_Rabbit.htm

Mastitis is another possibility. But as I mentioned, a consultation with a Rabbit Savvy Vet is the best way forward :) Good luck.

Would breast cancer really make all her teats the same size and within 2 days? In the past when this has happened they usually lactate and people before have said it could be pseudo pregnancy and it did always go down. I'm concerned this time dew to the size of them. She is however, eating, drinking, pooping and hoping around happily which is good.

I'm not going to worry you with info on scary stories, so I think my best advice is now to seek the help of an experienced rabbit vet.

If you feel you would like a second opinion from a rabbit savvy vet you can post another thread in Rabbit Chat:

"Rabbi Savvy Vet needed in (our location)" and RU members will help you

Good luck :D

Thank you! :)

Would breast cancer really make all her teats the same size and within 2 days? In the past when this has happened they usually lactate and people before have said it could be pseudo pregnancy and it did always go down. I'm concerned this time dew to the size of them. She is however, eating, drinking, pooping and hoping around happily which is good.

The only way to ascertain what is going on is to have her examined by a Rabbit savvy Vet. If nothing else doing so may put your mind at rest. As none of us on here are qualified in Veterinary Medicine all we can do is offer an unqualified suggestion of the various possible problems based on what we have experienced with our own Rabbits :)

The only way to ascertain what is going on is to have her examined by a Rabbit savvy Vet. If nothing else doing so may put your mind at rest. As none of us on here are qualified in Veterinary Medicine all we can do is offer an unqualified suggestion of the various possible problems based on what we have experienced with our own Rabbits :)

Oh yes, I'm well aware that this is all experienced answers but not diagnosis. I'm, in all honesty, trying to avoid the vet (selfishly) as Ebony had an op in February this year to remove a benign lump from her neck which cost me £200. Now as a student, that took all my savings and I will be going home this Friday for Easter holidays which will cost me more money for train tickets. So it's a very sticky situation for me. Obviously if I was advised to have her checked by a vet I would definitely, I am just fully making sure that it needs to happen.

Oh yes, I'm well aware that this is all experienced answers but not diagnosis. I'm, in all honesty, trying to avoid the vet (selfishly) as Ebony had an op in February this year to remove a benign lump from her neck which cost me £200. Now as a student, that took all my savings and I will be going home this Friday for Easter holidays which will cost me more money for train tickets. So it's a very sticky situation for me. Obviously if I was advised to have her checked by a vet I would definitely, I am just fully making sure that it needs to happen.

I can only say what I would do and that would be to consult a Vet. But it is entirely your decision regarding your Rabbit :)

I can only say what I would do and that would be to consult a Vet. But it is entirely your decision regarding your Rabbit :)

Thank you, I have just felt them again and the front ones have gone down but some of the others feel bigger... I think. I'm going to give her another check tonight and if they look painful or too big I will book her in :)

Thank you! :)

You're welcome :)

I do appreciate financial constraints - it can be a real problem. You have to make your own judgement as to whether you feel it's necessary, as all our circumstances are different. What would be possible vet-wise for one person may be an impossibility for another, and yet we all love our rabbits to pieces :D

I would say though, perhaps ring the Blue Cross or P.D.S.A. and ascertain their criteria for free vet treatment? I have investigated this on behalf of someone and it worked very well, even though they didn't strictly fit the criteria.

Good luck xx

You're welcome :)

I do appreciate financial constraints - it can be a real problem. You have to make your own judgement as to whether you feel it's necessary, as all our circumstances are different. What would be possible vet-wise for one person may be an impossibility for another, and yet we all love our rabbits to pieces :D

I would say though, perhaps ring the Blue Cross or P.D.S.A. and ascertain their criteria for free vet treatment? I have investigated this on behalf of someone and it worked very well, even though they didn't strictly fit the criteria.

Good luck xx

Really can they help with costs? I've never researched into it if I'm honest so it's definitely something to look into! I've just come back and called out to her and she came running over as normal, which gives me comfort :D

Really can they help with costs? I've never researched into it if I'm honest so it's definitely something to look into! I've just come back and called out to her and she came running over as normal, which gives me comfort :D

I will PM you :wave:

Back