• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Front leg possible bone tumor with fracture? Impossible decision :'(

Squiffy

Young Bun
Hi there

Today has been just awful. This morning I had to take two buns to the vets and not only did I have to make the sad decision to say a final farewell to my forum namesake Squiffy (a not-so-mini lop, who at 11 yrs old had a fantastic innings despite a lifetime of peculiar congenital maladies); but I also received the terrible news that my darling 5yr old Polish dwarf boy Pob probably has a front leg bone tumour (?), which has caused his bone to become fragile and has likely now fractured :(.

Last night I noticed Pob limping and holding his paw in, on checking him I found his front right leg with a soft swelling around the upper bone and the paw itself was limp. There is also some very liquidy swelling present under his chest, kind of like a dewlap. He's able to move around a bit, but obviously it is rather painful so he's mostly tucked himself away at the back of the bunny shed.

The vet I saw today asked a second opinion from another vet, who was of the same view re probable diagnosis. They quoted something like GBP £1,500+ for a repair or around £800 for an amputation, but I'm devastated as I simply do not have the money for either, as I am struggling along myself after a work injury left me on long-term sick and ended up losing my job. My partner has told me straight off that we absolutely cannot afford an operation. I know he's right about the money, but to me my Pob is priceless and I cannot imagine having to PTS such an otherwise bright, healthy and loving little thing who has never been poorly before now. I've come home with some Loxicom (painkiller) in the first instance so at least he will be more comfortable, but with a truly heart-breaking decision to make: to somehow magic/beg/borrow enough money to operate to amputate his front leg on Monday, or instead, for him to be PTS :'( There appears to be no other option.

I have a million thoughts and questions racing around in my head and nothing makes sense. Like, what might the prognosis be if he did have his leg amputated, could he adapt well and live happily on three legs? Could this be anything else besides a bone tumor? Could this just be a sprain? Like, if he got his leg trapped somewhere somehow and sprained or even fractured it, could the lump/swelling be just a swelling? The vet didn't take any samples or xray (approx £200+), as she said it would be a little like throwing money away if we did decide to amputate, or indeed to PTS, as she was pretty confident it was bone tumor with fracture. In any event his leg is clearly painful and unusable, so a decision has got to be made one way or another very soon and I simply cannot cope.

He's a good weight, but now clearly not up to eating his usual amount, though I've seen him nibbling a little hay and a few leafy veggies today, and have put an extra water bottle lower down for him. At what point might it be necessary to maybe hand feed/water him this weekend? I feel I should know the answer to that by now but I simply cannot think straight at the moment and am crying my eyes out writing this... it's taken me hours actually :( Considering my desperate financial situation, really truly, is PTS looking like my only kind option?? I'm hoping perhaps someone somewhere may have experienced something similar and might be willing to offer some experiential words of wisdom, or just a little reassurance one way or another, for better or for worse, which may help me start to come to terms with what I need to be doing and more importantly, what is in my darling Pob's best interest. :'( :'(

With very heavy heart,
Hazel xx

Hi there

Today has been just awful. This morning I had to take two buns to the vets and not only did I have to make the sad decision to say a final farewell to my forum namesake Squiffy (a not-so-mini lop, who at 11 yrs old had a fantastic innings despite a lifetime of peculiar congenital maladies); but I also received the terrible news that my darling 5yr old Polish dwarf boy Pob probably has a front leg bone tumour (?), which has caused his bone to become fragile and has likely now fractured :(.

Last night I noticed Pob limping and holding his paw in, on checking him I found his front right leg with a soft swelling around the upper bone and the paw itself was limp. There is also some very liquidy swelling present under his chest, kind of like a dewlap. He's able to move around a bit, but obviously it is rather painful so he's mostly tucked himself away at the back of the bunny shed.

The vet I saw today asked a second opinion from another vet, who was of the same view re probable diagnosis. They quoted something like GBP £1,500+ for a repair or around £800 for an amputation, but I'm devastated as I simply do not have the money for either, as I am struggling along myself after a work injury left me on long-term sick and ended up losing my job. My partner has told me straight off that we absolutely cannot afford an operation. I know he's right about the money, but to me my Pob is priceless and I cannot imagine having to PTS such an otherwise bright, healthy and loving little thing who has never been poorly before now. I've come home with some Loxicom (painkiller) in the first instance so at least he will be more comfortable, but with a truly heart-breaking decision to make: to somehow magic/beg/borrow enough money to operate to amputate his front leg on Monday, or instead, for him to be PTS :'( There appears to be no other option.

I have a million thoughts and questions racing around in my head and nothing makes sense. Like, what might the prognosis be if he did have his leg amputated, could he adapt well and live happily on three legs? Could this be anything else besides a bone tumor? Could this just be a sprain? Like, if he got his leg trapped somewhere somehow and sprained or even fractured it, could the lump/swelling be just a swelling? The vet didn't take any samples or xray (approx £200+), as she said it would be a little like throwing money away if we did decide to amputate, or indeed to PTS, as she was pretty confident it was bone tumor with fracture. In any event his leg is clearly painful and unusable, so a decision has got to be made one way or another very soon and I simply cannot cope.

He's a good weight, but now clearly not up to eating his usual amount, though I've seen him nibbling a little hay and a few leafy veggies today, and have put an extra water bottle lower down for him. At what point might it be necessary to maybe hand feed/water him this weekend? I feel I should know the answer to that by now but I simply cannot think straight at the moment and am crying my eyes out writing this... it's taken me hours actually :( Considering my desperate financial situation, really truly, is PTS looking like my only kind option?? I'm hoping perhaps someone somewhere may have experienced something similar and might be willing to offer some experiential words of wisdom, or just a little reassurance one way or another, for better or for worse, which may help me start to come to terms with what I need to be doing and more importantly, what is in my darling Pob's best interest. :'( :'(

With very heavy heart,
Hazel xx

I am sorry to hear about Pob's condition. I am not sure how the Vets can be certain that it is osteosarcoma without having carried out any diagnostics :? In the circumstances perhaps you may be able to obtain some help from the PDSA ?

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services/eligibility

Are you well known to your Vet ? Would it be possible to discuss your dilema with them and have any chance of receiving an empathetic response ? Some Vets will agree to a trusted client setting up a regular payment plan to cover the cost of a very large Vet bill. IME most Vets would have a big ethical struggle to PTS an animal based solely on the owner's inability to afford treatment.

If it is osteosarcoma then amputation of the limb would be needed as a repair would not work. The bone would almost certainly be too diseased to have any chance of healing and the cancer would continue to progress. Amputation due to osteosarcoma can buy the afflicted animal more time, but often the disease has already spread and so additional chemotherapy would be needed too. This probably would not cure the animal, but like the amputation it may buy the animal more time.

So first off I'd want to obtain a definitive diagnosis as at the moment you do not appear to have one for Pob. It is possible for a Rabbit to cope with an amputation. In the past I have had 2 tripod Bunnies. One had a surgical amputation of his hind leg due to a compound fracture and the other lost her front leg whilst still in the nest. Her Mum was only young herself and overgroomed her kits, removing limbs/ears in the process. Both of my Tripods coped perfectly well, needing some additional care but still having a good quaility of life.

But osteosarcoma (if that were to be the diagnosis) is somewhat different as the amputation would not cure the disease. PTS may, infact, be the 'kinder' option. But that decision is one that can only be made on an individual case basis.

I do hope that you can find a way forward for Pob and that your Vet can help as far as is possible x

Last edited:
Hi there

With very heavy heart,
Hazel xx

Oh Hazel, I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this :( I am so sorry about Squiffy, you must be devastated ...

Did the second opinion come from within the same practice?

You can't magic money out of nowhere, I can understand that. If your vet is really sure that given all the options, he is convinced this must happen, then some serious decisions have to be taken.

I have known the Blue Cross step in and help in cases like these. It may be that you don't perfectly fit the criteria, but I have helped people get help even in those instances.

Sending you loads of love and hugs xx

£800 for an amputation is v v expensive. I would be looking for another quote if that is your decision. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but my tripod bunny's op was nowhere near as much as that (probably £100-£200).

They do very well on 3 legs if it is 'just' a case of amputation.

I'm curious to know how the diagnosis was made - and how they thought a break in a potentially cancerous bone is fixable.
Thinking if you.

Similar to others £800 does seem a lot of money, when my Harvey had a broken leg, we was offered amputation for £250.

Can you maybe look at another vet to have a look at your bunny, as I too would want a second opinion & a definate prognosis so you can be 100% sure to what would be best xx

Similar to others £800 does seem a lot of money, when my Harvey had a broken leg, we was offered amputation for £250.

Can you maybe look at another vet to have a look at your bunny, as I too would want a second opinion & a definate prognosis so you can be 100% sure to what would be best xx

Yes, it may have been a few years ago now but when Harry had his leg amputated the cost was nowhere near £800.00 xx

Back