• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time bonding

bunnybeth

New Kit
I have introduced my rabbits for the first time today (they have spent months in adjacent cages waiting for my girl to be old enough for spaying). They are both neutered and under 1yr. All seems to have gone well, Apollo (buck) mounted Pebbles (doe) and she didn't complain, we had circling with binkies, nose bumps and they sat next to each other eating treats. However after the circling Apollo started scratching at Pebbles's back, he didn't it a couple of times and stopped when I said "Apollo no", is this frustration at not catching her when circling, is he being nasty? It's not drawing blood but it concerned me.

Hello, if Apollo is the dominant one then he may 'dig' at Pebbles' fur to encourage her to move out of the way, if in Apollo's view she's too slow to move out of his way. Do you think it could be this?

Hi, he's definitely the dominant one as things stand, he does it when she is still so maybe that is it, she doesn't react like it is hurting her in any way, and I checked for scratches but there aren't any, he does it right on the top of her back.

Hello there. We have had a few similar cases of a rabbit digging on another rabbit's back but I haven't a clue why they do it. As long as they both seen happy together then maybe this behaviour will disappear shortly. Hope so.

Back