• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessively peeing

Thanks MightyMax!

I have moved Teddy back outside, although no access to the garden just yet. I think he was such a happy bunny to get back to familiar ground :love:

So, waiting on the EC results which will be interesting and will start the Metacam tomorrow. Am also looking at his diet although, on the whole, I think its already not too bad. (Science Select is potentially a problem, but he has always has such a small amount daily, but am reducing that further whilst I find a suitable alternative).

However, what is concerning me is his hind leg which, although he hops very well on all fours, one leg does splay out when he is static. I watched today, and it just slid awkwardly :?

Grasping at straws, perhaps, but I got the impression Molly (expert vet), 'thought' there might be the first signs of a little arthritis on the x-ray ... I feel if it was arthritis, then this would be more obvious on the x-ray as it is very pronounced. It has become apparent very suddenly, (although I am trying to think if I had spotted something before). What I am wondering is, if he had EC, could this leg problem be associated with it, rather than arthritis?

As usual, thinking, thinking, thinking .. bladder sludge, inappropriate urination, urine scald, initially seemingly good response to Panacur but that wouldn't account for the bladder sludge issue? And now, gammy hind leg - EC or arthritis?

It's a wonder he is such a happy bunny :lol:

You're welcome :wave:

What did Molly think of the splay leg and arthritis as shown on the X-ray?

I think he's suited to outdoors, and it's lovely that you manage to keep him so comfortable and happy :D

Definitely suited outdoors :)

His leg, well the fact it is (sometimes) splayed, hasn't been on the radar until now, so I hadn't raised the issue until my last conversation with my vet and she said 'that's interesting, as Molly commented on a slight indication of (I think she said) the start of arthritis' (something like that).

To be honest with myself, his leg looks just like Rosie rabbits, (who we lost last Easter), and who was definitely arthritically. But my vet had looked at Teddy's muscle tone etc. and hadn't detected anything. Would EC just affect one leg, I am wondering?

Also, Teddy's pee problem is, to borrow my vets term, very much waxing and waning. He has peed today, but since putting him back outside, he hasn't peed at all. So from peeing here, there and everywhere like a fountain, he has dried up almost completely with no apparent reason :?

I must add to my ramblings that these forums are marvellous and a godsend to people in need of advice like me. Thankfully in addition to people like me who are desperately seeking advice, there are the core group of knowledgeable Rabbity experts who would give many a vet a run for there money! Thanks all :wave:

Definitely suited outdoors :)

His leg, well the fact it is (sometimes) splayed, hasn't been on the radar until now, so I hadn't raised the issue until my last conversation with my vet and she said 'that's interesting, as Molly commented on a slight indication of (I think she said) the start of arthritis' (something like that).

To be honest with myself, his leg looks just like Rosie rabbits, (who we lost last Easter), and who was definitely arthritically. But my vet had looked at Teddy's muscle tone etc. and hadn't detected anything. Would EC just affect one leg, I am wondering?

Also, Teddy's pee problem is, to borrow my vets term, very much waxing and waning. He has peed today, but since putting him back outside, he hasn't peed at all. So from peeing here, there and everywhere like a fountain, he has dried up almost completely with no apparent reason :?

I must add to my ramblings that these forums are marvellous and a godsend to people in need of advice like me. Thankfully in addition to people like me who are desperately seeking advice, there are the core group of knowledgeable Rabbity experts who would give many a vet a run for there money! Thanks all :wave:

If the arthritis isn't very advanced, then it probably wasn't obvious when your vet checked Teddy's muscles.

Reasons for a rabbit to drag a back leg:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/paresis.html

http://rabbit.org/hind-limb-weakness-in-the-rabbit/

With regards to E.C. the above article states:

If the brain or spinal cord is infected, the signs may vary depending on what area is damaged. A rabbit may experience any one or combination of the following: unilateral or bilateral facial paralysis, weakness in only one limb, complete hind limb weakness or paralysis, all four limb weakness or paralysis, head tilt, loss of appetite, behavior changes, depression, seizures (mild to severe) and sudden death.

So I guess it's impossible to say whether the dragging one leg is E.C. related or not.

And I, too, am very grateful for the 'rabbity experts' as they make such a valuable contribution to the Forum :)

If the arthritis isn't very advanced, then it probably wasn't obvious when your vet checked Teddy's muscles.

Reasons for a rabbit to drag a back leg:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/paresis.html

http://rabbit.org/hind-limb-weakness-in-the-rabbit/

With regards to E.C. the above article states:

If the brain or spinal cord is infected, the signs may vary depending on what area is damaged. A rabbit may experience any one or combination of the following: unilateral or bilateral facial paralysis, weakness in only one limb,[/B] complete hind limb weakness or paralysis, all four limb weakness or paralysis, head tilt, loss of appetite, behavior changes, depression, seizures (mild to severe) and sudden death.

So I guess it's impossible to say whether the dragging one leg is E.C. related or not.

And I, too, am very grateful for the 'rabbity experts' as they make such a valuable contribution to the Forum :)

Extremely interesting.

Count yourself amongst the rabbity experts :)

So Teddy has tested positive for EC.

This certainly fits in with his symptoms although, I don't think with the bladder sludge, unless someone knows differently? He may well have different issues.

As Teddy 'has' EC (he is very well in himself at the moment ... peeing appropriately! in in the tray!), I am going to start a new thread on advice on the condition.

Thanks so much for helping me on this thread :wave:

So Teddy has tested positive for EC.

This certainly fits in with his symptoms although, I don't think with the bladder sludge, unless someone knows differently? He may well have different issues.

As Teddy 'has' EC (he is very well in himself at the moment ... peeing appropriately! in in the tray!), I am going to start a new thread on advice on the condition.

Thanks so much for helping me on this thread :wave:

I've replied on your other thread Cara.

At least you seem to be getting part the way towards a diagnosis :)

Back