• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Darwins Story - Ear infection / Head tilt U/D 16/2 At peace now x

Bless him, its horrible seeing them not themselves. I gave my bunnies a pinch of echinacea, its like a dried herb, no worries about injecting. It'd be given alongside his prescribed meds

Hi J&B. Are you using the stuff I sent you? :wave: Which do you use? Just wondering how the actual chopped up herb works with rabbits that have good teeth :D

Hi J&B. Are you using the stuff I sent you? :wave: Which do you use? Just wondering how the actual chopped up herb works with rabbits that have good teeth :D

I'm not using any at the mo but the one I did use was what you sent :wave:

Thanks MM, I'll get some, have read great things online about it, sounds like it can give some good results.

Thanks Omi :)

He's still much the same this evening, has just had some more meds x

Thanks MM, I'll get some, have read great things online about it, sounds like it can give some good results.

Thanks Omi :)

He's still much the same this evening, has just had some more meds x

You're welcome :thumb:

On occasions I've found it works better than antibiotics! x

Thank you both. I've ordered some Echinacea, hopefully it won't take long.

So I'm debating whether he needs seeing again today. He is eating, drinking and pooing (I don't think they are all Dotties) but he's so miserable, poor boy!!

His eyes are looking quite red, I think more so than before we started the drops, but perhaps that's normal. I'm just worried that he's not really perking up at all x

Thank you both. I've ordered some Echinacea, hopefully it won't take long.

So I'm debating whether he needs seeing again today. He is eating, drinking and pooing (I don't think they are all Dotties) but he's so miserable, poor boy!!

His eyes are looking quite red, I think more so than before we started the drops, but perhaps that's normal. I'm just worried that he's not really perking up at all x

Hi there

Sorry to hear about his eyes - I have re-read this thread but can't see where you've said what they are. Some types of drops can indeed cause irritation, but if it's Isathal, they are normally very well tolerated.

Perhaps you should at least call the vet today?

Yes, I think they are Isathal, his eyes actually look ok this evening, so that's good.

He'd got himself in a bit of a mess again, so we cleaned him up and gave him lots of attention, which he seemed to really enjoy. When I put him back he hopped around and started eating and just for a few minutes we saw a glimmer of the old Darwin. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'll take what I can get at the moment.

As he is eating, drinking, pooing we didn't call today, but will obviously do so if we need to. Our vets runs a normal clinic on a Sunday at one of their branches, so we could get seen tomorrow, if necessary x

Yes, I think they are Isathal, his eyes actually look ok this evening, so that's good.

He'd got himself in a bit of a mess again, so we cleaned him up and gave him lots of attention, which he seemed to really enjoy. When I put him back he hopped around and started eating and just for a few minutes we saw a glimmer of the old Darwin. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'll take what I can get at the moment.

As he is eating, drinking, pooing we didn't call today, but will obviously do so if we need to. Our vets runs a normal clinic on a Sunday at one of their branches, so we could get seen tomorrow, if necessary x

All sounds good :D

I'm glad his eyes are looking OK - sore eyes are painful! x

Darwin is puzzling me. Is it possible he can't see or hear properly?

I'm probably completely wrong, but I wonder what others think. When I took their pellets up this morning, Dottie ran over as normal, but Darwin didn't react at all (not unusual at the moment). I scattered the pellets and he still didn't move (like a statue staring into space) so I started putting some hay in, some right under his nose and he sort of wobbled forward a bit and straight away started eating. So I gathered up some of the pellets in his bowl and put them right next to him too and he starts munching away. It was as if he didn't see them until they were right in front of him.

I guess it could be that he's still feeling too poorly to move towards the food himself, but it was so odd, idk.

Though, after that I notice that he has then gone over and is next to Dottie eating the remaining pellets. Any ideas or thoughts welcome x

Last edited:
What a worry he must be :( It sounds to me as though there is still something going on with him doesn't it? Whether that is his sight or his hearing or something else it's difficult to say. I think if it were me I would take him back to the vets for their opinion.

Sending him lots of vibes. I hope you find out what is troubling him.

Darwin is puzzling me. Is it possible he can't see or hear properly?

I'm probably completely wrong, but I wonder what others think. When I took their pellets up this morning, Dottie ran over as normal, but Darwin didn't react at all (not unusual at the moment). I scattered the pellets and he still didn't move (like a statue staring into space) so I started putting some hay in, some right under his nose and he sort of wobbled forward a bit and straight away started eating. So I gathered up some of the pellets in his bowl and put them right next to him too and he starts munching away. It was as if he didn't see them until they were right in front of him.

I guess it could be that he's still feeling too poorly to move towards the food himself, but it was so odd, idk.

Though, after that I notice that he has then gone over and is next to Dottie eating the remaining pellets. Any ideas or thoughts welcome x

Rabbits who have/have had ear problems can have very poor hearing. You say he 'wobbled forward' Do you mean that he's unsteady on his feet ?

I agree with Omi really, perhaps another Vet check is needed ?

Thanks Omi, I think we might have to. Although he's doing all the basics, it's the lack of any interest or enthusiasm that's concerning.

I said to my dh we should try and get him seen by our favourite vet (same practice, just not available previously), as she's been really good in the past. Also I wonder if I might be worse contacting the rescue to see if they noticed any odd behaviour. I guess it's possible his hearing could have been damaged by his ear wax problem he'd had before, idk, the vet only looked at his ears, not in them x

Rabbits who have/have had ear problems can have very poor hearing. You say he 'wobbled forward' Do you mean that he's unsteady on his feet ?

I agree with Omi really, perhaps another Vet check is needed ?

Sorry Jane, crossed posted.

Yes he was unsteady when he got up to eat. Although I know I previously i said he was getting around ok, which he was x

Sorry Jane, crossed posted.

Yes he was unsteady when he got up to eat. Although I know I previously i said he was getting around ok, which he was x

I cant remember if you said that he has had/ is having a course of Panacur ? If not it might be worth discussing this with your Vet. Just as a precaution re EC. Whilst Panacur is generally 'safe' to use I do not feel qualified to advise someone else to administer it to their Rabbit.

Having the Vet give Darwin another check over would hopefully put your mind at rest x

Back