• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Darwins Story - Ear infection / Head tilt U/D 16/2 At peace now x

Darwin is puzzling me. Is it possible he can't see or hear properly?

I'm probably completely wrong, but I wonder what others think. When I took their pellets up this morning, Dottie ran over as normal, but Darwin didn't react at all (not unusual at the moment). I scattered the pellets and he still didn't move (like a statue staring into space) so I started putting some hay in, some right under his nose and he sort of wobbled forward a bit and straight away started eating. So I gathered up some of the pellets in his bowl and put them right next to him too and he starts munching away. It was as if he didn't see them until they were right in front of him.

I guess it could be that he's still feeling too poorly to move towards the food himself, but it was so odd, idk.

Though, after that I notice that he has then gone over and is next to Dottie eating the remaining pellets. Any ideas or thoughts welcome x

You know, from what you've said, it's really difficult to speculate what may or may not be going on with Darwin. If it was a hearing or sight issue I would've felt you'd have had some inkling of it before now....

The wobbling concerns me and I'd want to get to the bottom of what that was all about.

Good luck xx

Back from the vets and I think we now have a clearer idea of what's going on.

The vet had a really good look in his ears and said he has some small absesses and that these would account for the behaviour we've been seeing. Poor little guy must be in a fair bit of pain.

His teeth look perfect thankfully. He is a bit gassy though.

So we now have a different antibiotic (metronidazole) and some Cisapride, as well as some ear drops. We have to go back in a weeks time, but if he's not doing better she said they might need to take some swabs.

Thanks for everyone's help x

The vet had a really good look in his ears and said he has some small absesses and that these would account for the behaviour we've been seeing. Poor little guy must be in a fair bit of pain.

So we now have a different antibiotic (metronidazole) and some Cisapride, as well as some ear drops. We have to go back in a weeks time, but if he's not doing better she said they might need to take some swabs.

I'm glad you have some answers now .. I really hope the abx sort the problem for him. Bless xx

Poor man :cry: his symptoms did sound 'ear pain' related to me. Sending more vibes for him xx

Sending get well vibes to Darwin, hope the new meds do the trick and he's back to normal soon x

Poor little lad :( I'm so pleased that you now know what's going on with him. What a pity they can't tell us where they are hurting. Sending lots of vibes for him. I hope that the abx helps.

Thanks everyone, I really hope so.

One thing, my dd and I both have a complete blank as to how many ear drops the vet said to use - its Canaural, both ears, twice a day x

Thank you for all the get well vibes :)

I hope with these new meds we will see some improvement soon.

Btw, does anyone know about the ear drops please? I don't want to call them and sound like a right idiot x

Thanks everyone, I really hope so.

One thing, my dd and I both have a complete blank as to how many ear drops the vet said to use - its Canaural, both ears, twice a day x

I've seen various amounts used, from one drop to three (or more). But since it contains a steroid I really would steel yourself and ring them back to check so you get it right. Better than that risk a wrong dosage :D

Thank you for all the get well vibes :)

I hope with these new meds we will see some improvement soon.

Btw, does anyone know about the ear drops please? I don't want to call them and sound like a right idiot x

I am sure that they wont think you are an idiot if you call them to clarify the dosage :) One thing to be mindful of is that often some of the canaural comes back out of the ear and goes all over the Rabbit's fur. This means any in contact Rabbits may lick a lot of it which is not an ideal scenario. So it's a good idea to keep a close eye on things, which I am sure you are already doing.

Also, if Darwin becomes more wobbly after starting the ear drops I'd contact the Vet to let him/her know xx

Thank you both.

I called the vets re the ear drops and the receptionist went to check with the vet, she said the vet that saw him wasn't in, but another vet has said a 'quick squirt in each'. I have such anxiety on the phone that I kind of went oh ok, thanks. When I told my dh he said well that didn't really help did it. So I think we will stick to one drop till we can get some clarification.

I'm concerned tonight though, as you predicted Jane, he has become really wobbly and when he tried to come over for food he was falling all over the place. I also think his head is looking a little tilted. It's quite upsetting as it reminds me of poor Sydney and I don't feel like I've come to terms with that yet. Tbh I feel a bit out of my depth here x

Thank you both.

I called the vets re the ear drops and the receptionist went to check with the vet, she said the vet that saw him wasn't in, but another vet has said a 'quick squirt in each'. I have such anxiety on the phone that I kind of went oh ok, thanks. When I told my dh he said well that didn't really help did it. So I think we will stick to one drop till we can get some clarification.

I'm concerned tonight though, as you predicted Jane, he has become really wobbly
and when he tried to come over for food he was falling all over the place. I also think his head is looking a little tilted. It's quite upsetting as it reminds me of poor Sydney and I don't feel like I've come to terms with that yet. Tbh I feel a bit out of my depth here x

I would not administer any more canaural into his ears and I'd call the Vet this morning to explain the situation. It might be that Darwin's tympanic membranes are not intact (perforated ear drums). I will PM you ASAP.

Thanks Omi, it really is awful.

He's just deteriorated with each day, despite the treatments he's had. It's so reminiscent of poor Sydney. His head is becoming more tilted and his balance is terrible. We are booked in with our favourite vet at 2.10pm who hasn't seen him yet, to see what she makes of it all.

We wont be giving him any more medicine until he's been seen x

Thank you both.

I'm concerned tonight though, as you predicted Jane, he has become really wobbly and when he tried to come over for food he was falling all over the place. I also think his head is looking a little tilted. It's quite upsetting as it reminds me of poor Sydney and I don't feel like I've come to terms with that yet. Tbh I feel a bit out of my depth here x

So sorry to hear this. You're trying so hard with Darwin, it's not fair :(

Loads of vibes for him today xx

Back