• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now Ted's in stasis - Couple of pics of them both 14 Feb

martlou

Warren Veteran
Got up this morning and Ted's only picked at his breakfast, which he normally hoovers up in seconds. Been to the vet and very few gut sounds, also abdomen feels gassy :cry: She said she wanted to go straight for the vetergesic, so gave him a shot of that, and he's also had some zantac. Emeprid due at 12.15 then we'll try a syringe feed which he's awful with, just lets it dribble out. We've got some Ella's Kitchen baby food that we got when Rosie wasn't eating much after her dental but which we didn't use as she'd started eating for herself, so we'll mix a bit of that in. He's got some dandelions and both dried and fresh bramble leaves but he's not interested at the moment.

We thought we'd completely cracked it, as he's been stasis free since April when previously it had been every few weeks however we suspect this is moult related. He's been doing some poos strung together recently and he's moulting heavily. We've been brushing him and getting lots off but I don't think it's been enough :cry:

Last edited:
I'm sorry that Ted has got stasis again. He's done very well to be free since April and I suspect, like you, that it is fur ingestion that's set it off. I hope that the meds from the vet helps and that you are successful later with getting some syringe feeds into him.

Sending him lots of get better soon vibes. Hopefully you've caught it early and he will soon start eating again.

Got up this morning and Ted's only picked at his breakfast, which he normally hoovers up in seconds. Been to the vet and very few gut sounds, also abdomen feels gassy :cry: She said she wanted to go straight for the vetergesic, so gave him a shot of that, and he's also had some zantac. Emeprid due at 12.15 then we'll try a syringe feed which he's awful with, just lets it dribble out. We've got some Ella's Kitchen baby food that we got when Rosie wasn't eating much after her dental but which we didn't use as she'd started eating for herself, so we'll mix a bit of that in. He's got some dandelions and both dried and fresh bramble leaves but he's not interested at the moment.

We thought we'd completely cracked it, as he's been stasis free since April when previously it had been every few weeks however we suspect this is moult related. He's been doing some poos strung together recently and he's moulting heavily. We've been brushing him and getting lots off but I don't think it's been enough :cry:

Poor lad. Did the Vet give him any SQ fluids ? If not then I'd try to get some water into him orally even if he wont take a syringe feed. Fluid therapy can make a huge difference when treating gut stasis. Vetergesic can cause extreme drowsiness, but I expect that your Vet warned you about that.

You have probably already read this but I'll post it again anyway

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Thanks both. The vet didn't give him any fluids. He hasn't touched his water bowl yet today (actually it can be a few days normally before we see him actually drinking, so when he does start eating again we rinse all the herbs, leaves etc in water). He has just taken 9ml syringe feed which is amazing for him as normally he either just dribbles it out or holds it in his mouth, but the vast majority of that he did actually swallow, so he got some water with that. Perhaps it was the Ella's Kitchen that made it more palatable for him. After the feed he jumped in the litter tray and did some very normal poos, about half a dozen, so I think that's a good thing. He's also quite bright and moving round, a bit quieter than normal but not looking uncomfortable.

Next painkiller (bupracare) due at 4.30 and we'll do another syringe feed then.

Adding my vibes for a complete recovery for Ted. This is one illness I really wish bunnies did not get, to any degree. xxxx

Thank you MimzMum and yes I wholeheartedly agree! I'm very sorry for your recent loss of Pip :cry:

I just went in the kitchen and Ted was eating a large bramble leaf :D so I went to the neighbours garden and got more, and he's eating some (there's a few so I won't expect too much). This is really excellent news as when Ted's been in stasis before it's taken a lot longer than this for him to be interested in eating for himself, so fingers crossed this continues. Vibes still appreciated though! Thank you :D

Thank you, martlou. It's been a hard day and I'm exhausted, but yet wide awake, if that makes sense. :(

Good to hear Ted is nomming away on some brambles leaves. I had wanted to plant a forage garden here, but not sure what I'd have started with...most everything that was already growing here I've managed to finish off! :roll:

More vibes for Ted's continued recovery. xxxx

It sounds as though the gas is dispersing and as a result his tummy isn't so sore now :) Hopefully he will continue to improve over the next few hours xx

Oh no!!

Millions of vibes for Ted to get better very soon xx

Thank you MimzMum and yes I wholeheartedly agree! I'm very sorry for your recent loss of Pip :cry:

I just went in the kitchen and Ted was eating a large bramble leaf :D so I went to the neighbours garden and got more, and he's eating some (there's a few so I won't expect too much). This is really excellent news as when Ted's been in stasis before it's taken a lot longer than this for him to be interested in eating for himself, so fingers crossed this continues. Vibes still appreciated though! Thank you :D

Magic bramble leaves :D :love:

Sending more vibes for him.

Thank you everybody. It makes such a difference knowing that people are thinking about him and willing him well. He's snoozing at the moment, but has eaten maybe 3 or 4 bramble leaves and half a green bean. No more poops since he pooped earlier.

And amazingly, as unpalatable and scratchy as they may seem to us, rabbits seem to like them :lol:

Yes it's so weird that!

I can't imagine a mouth full of thorns. And yet rabbits have sensitive mouths that can be easily damaged by molar spurs and dental equipment - just doesn't add up :lol:

We trim the pointy bits off so they don't hurt their mouths :D

Ted's just had his bupracare painkiller and we tried a second syringe feed which was spectacularly unsuccessful - he's reverted to form and just let it dribble out all over Martyn's shoulder. He has run into the living room though and is sat next to the litter tray which is next to my settee, so I can keep an eye on him there. Next dose is zantac at 7.30. I think at that time we'll syringe him some water as well (or at least try!). Do you think that might work better if we put a bit of the Ella's Kitchen mixed into it?

We trim the pointy bits off so they don't hurt their mouths :D

Ted's just had his bupracare painkiller and we tried a second syringe feed which was spectacularly unsuccessful - he's reverted to form and just let it dribble out all over Martyn's shoulder. He has run into the living room though and is sat next to the litter tray which is next to my settee, so I can keep an eye on him there. Next dose is zantac at 7.30. I think at that time we'll syringe him some water as well (or at least try!). Do you think that might work better if we put a bit of the Ella's Kitchen mixed into it?

Mine love the blueberry and apple Ella's Kitchen with just about anything, when I syringe feed them :D

I'm surprised the bupracare isn't making him drowsy x

Mine love the blueberry and apple Ella's Kitchen with just about anything, when I syringe feed them :D

I'm surprised the bupracare isn't making him drowsy x

He does seems a bit drowsy now and he's had a good snooze this afternoon though most days he spends snoozing anyway. I've just offered him a sprig of mint and a couple of bramble leaves but he's not interested at the moment. I hate that heavy feeling in your chest when you're worried :cry:

The food we've got is banana and apple, he loves a bit of banana and he's never had blueberry which is why I picked that one!

Back