• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Constant dominant behaviour

KGilmour

New Kit
Hey guys - really need your help!
I have a 3 year old, neutered male Seb and 8 month female, Molly. They bonded together really well at the start as Seb was lonely and have been together now for around 5 months. Were showing great signs, grooming each other, sleeping together etc...
However, within the last month he hasn't left her alone! Chases her around the pen grunting, constantly humping her, humping her when she's laying down and even eating! It irritates me so lord knows how she feels! I realise it's natural that she's at an age where she can breed now and is she in season? She doesn't ever appear to get annoyed only runs away from him... My question is basically, is my only option to take her to the vets and have her speyed? I'm not in a financial circumstance where I could easily pay for it and will only do it if it's actually going to help my bunnies! Please let me know if you have any experience with this.

Thank you :)

They don't have seasons. They are induced ovulators which means when mated she'll release and egg. (He's also unlikely to want to mate as he's neutered)
Has anything changed? New routine, new furniture, change around of the rooms, new pets etc? Sometimes these stresses can cause dominance behaviours.
I'd still have your female spayed to prevent against uterine cancer, mammary cancer etc.

Maybe you could try some pet remedy as an anti-stress?

It could also be if she's feeling unwell, and he's taking advantage of her being ill and trying to be top bunny.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It could be that this is the behaviour she is expecting due to her being unspayed. Spaying will help to balance their relationship so they will be more like best friends. You can get help with the cost if you are on certain benefits or some Vets allow you to pay by installments.

Thanks for your response!
Nothing has changed in their homes or routines at all, so I don't think it can be stress related.
After doing a little research I think it would be best to have her spayed anyway because of all the health benefits so thanks for mentioning that. I have seen no signs of her being unwell, still eats like a mini horse, healthy coat, clean bum and full of energy! Will take her to the vets as soon as I can and hopefully this will help :)

Yup looks like having her spayed is my best option! I was just seeing if there was any other options or ideas before hand :)

Have a look around and see if anyone is offering vouchers - some rescues/welfare orgs sometimes offer vouchers for discounts on neutering.

In the mean time, make sure she's got tunnels/one bun sized boxes so if she does want to avoid him she can.

Weird things can set them off like changes in smell, the temperature (your heating comes on hotter and they think spring has arrived) etc. so it may be something like that has triggered it.

Hey everyone, I've a similar problem but my two are both spayed and neutered. They've been together now since last October and just recently they've been humping each other. Peanut (female) will go for Bob (male) then visa versa. Its only been in the last few weeks but its driving me bonkers cause i'm not sure what has happened. They will lie up and eat together, Peanut will groom Bob, never the other about though. I had been thinking they are just figuring out the top bun, and if they are i wish they'd just hurry up about it...anyone any ideas???

This could be Spring Fever as the days are getting longer it can affect them. Do they have lots of hay to munch?

Back