• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lolly Hop not at all well post Spay

Sorry to see this update. I will be keeping your lovely girl in my thoughts. Lots and lots of get better vibes sent your way. Xxxxx

Update: Lolly Hop didn't have stasis this morning, but she is full blown total gut shutdown now. No muscle contraction at all, I believe were the vets words. They did an x-ray to confirm. ( Don't think that's going to be free) What's worse is it happened after she has had 2 doses of gut mobility stimulant.

We have had to take her from our vets to Rayleigh animal hospital for overnight care, as they will have the facilities to put a tube in her stomach, should gas start to form.

She was so unresponsive that her blinking when I stroked near her eye was the only way I could tell she was still alive. I've seen that look, or lack of look enough times... always in the hours before a beloved pet died.

I'm glad she's at the vet, because I couldn't stand seeing her and not even being able to communicate the fact I was there to comfort her. She didn't even respond to being stroked.

I don't know what I'm going to do with Amie (My ADHD? 7 year old daughter) should my fears come true... She cried 3 days into our summer holiday because she missed her rabbit that much.. And that was on holiday with lots of fun things to distract her.

I don't know what I'm going to do either.. I haven't been this close to a pet in over a decade. She's not even a year old yet. There's always risks with spaying, but you never think you're going to be one of the
statistics...

Here's really hoping my instinct is wrong....

Thank you all for your well wishes & giving me a space to vent... Its so hard holding it together for my children's sake.

I am so sorry to read this.

I will light a candle for you tonight and pray for Lolly Hop. I really hope she pulls through xxx

She's Gone..

At 23:05pm I was lying in bed and felt a sudden sharp pain in my heart, combined with a certain knowledge that Lolly Hop was dead. I immediately check the time on my phone.

15 minutes later, I get a text from Hubby, telling me that If I'm still awake, he needs to talk to me. I go in to the living room where he is and he tells me he's just got off the phone with the vets....

Many thanks for the vibes, but I think she had already gone before we even brought her home from her spay. Somehow, she just never came back.

At 23:05pm I was lying in bed and felt a sudden sharp pain in my heart, combined with a certain knowledge that Lolly Hop was dead. I immediately check the time on my phone.

15 minutes later, I get a text from Hubby, telling me that If I'm still awake, he needs to talk to me. I go in to the living room where he is and he tells me he's just got off the phone with the vets....

Many thanks for the vibes, but I think she had already gone before we even brought her home from her spay. Somehow, she just never came back.

How tragic :cry: I am so very sorry :cry:

I'm really sorry for your loss. I lost a rabbit 48 hours after a spay a few months ago as her guts just stopped too. I was hit hard by it but had hardly bonded with her as only had her six weeks and she needed 'winning round'. The grief you must feel in such circumstances with a rabbit you have a strong bond with is unimaginable.:cry:

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss.
Sending comforting vibes to yourself, and your family... your daughter especially.
Binky free baby girl x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm so very sorry:cry: thinking of you and your family and sending hugs.

Binky free Lolly Hop xx

Oh no, I'm so sorry to read the update :(

So very sorry that you lost her :( Sleep tightly little one xxx

Truly heartbreaking. I'm so sorry your wee little girl couldn't pull through. Sleep tight Lolly Hop xx

I'm so sorry to hear about your precious girl :cry:. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Binky free little one x

Back