• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Returning to Forum: New Buns: Spaying Complications and Stasis

Hi everyone. Sorry we haven't been in touch. We lost Biddy on Christmas Day morning between 3 and 7am. I know because my youngest was throwing up at 3am so I was downstairs putting the devastation in the wash and Biddy was still alive. When I came down when the kids actually got up to open presents Biddy was flat out, stiff :0( around 7am. Iddy was sat next to her. We broke it to the girls that morning. Faced it head on, best thing really with the distractions of the day. Iddy is fine and eating everything in sight. She's been bouncing around. We've found a Ted to put in her room. We're just undecided on bonding a friend right now. It's too soon to broach it with the girls. I've written to the Vet (can't face them) - too much to go into but reading your posts and just from my own knowledge the practice just isn't working with Locum's - since it was sold the care has been lost - the original Vet is still there, did Biddy's Op, but never saw him again. There is another practice a little further away with permanent Vets who we ended up seeing just before Biddy died. So lesson learned. Feel so sorry for Iddy but she's getting a lot of attention and care. Amazed actually, she was the runt of the original litter and she's out lived all of her siblings. She's a massive Lop compared to when she first came home. Love her to bits xxx Thanks again all of you xx

Oh no, I am so sorry to read this :cry:

Hi everyone. Sorry we haven't been in touch. We lost Biddy on Christmas Day morning between 3 and 7am. I know because my youngest was throwing up at 3am so I was downstairs putting the devastation in the wash and Biddy was still alive. When I came down when the kids actually got up to open presents Biddy was flat out, stiff :0( around 7am. Iddy was sat next to her. We broke it to the girls that morning. Faced it head on, best thing really with the distractions of the day. Iddy is fine and eating everything in sight. She's been bouncing around. We've found a Ted to put in her room. We're just undecided on bonding a friend right now. It's too soon to broach it with the girls. I've written to the Vet (can't face them) - too much to go into but reading your posts and just from my own knowledge the practice just isn't working with Locum's - since it was sold the care has been lost - the original Vet is still there, did Biddy's Op, but never saw him again. There is another practice a little further away with permanent Vets who we ended up seeing just before Biddy died. So lesson learned. Feel so sorry for Iddy but she's getting a lot of attention and care. Amazed actually, she was the runt of the original litter and she's out lived all of her siblings. She's a massive Lop compared to when she first came home. Love her to bits xxx Thanks again all of you xx

I am so very sorry :cry: I think you are wise to write to the practice. The Vet in charge of Biddy's care should not have discharged her home after the complications of her spay. You were put in an impossible situation and you could not have done any more for Biddy.

What a sad start to Christmas for your family :cry:

I'm so sorry you lost Biddy :cry: you did everything you could for her. Thinking of you and your family xx

I'm so so sorry, it's heartbreaking and on what should have been a happy day.

We lost our lovely Sydney to illness very recently, and had three upset children, so I can sympathise. Thinking of you x

I'm so sorry you lost Biddy :( I really can empathise with you, as I only live up the road in Haslingden... there really aren't many vets around here who are good with bunnies :( which practice do you use? I use Shuttleworths in Rawtenstall, particularly Louise. When I first moved here 7 years ago they weren't the most rabbit savvy vets, but they've had lots of experience now with my bunnies and are now the best around here, I reckon... however, for out of hours they use Armac in Bury where I will never take another rabbit - they are beyond useless :( hope this might help for your other bun in future x

I am so sorry for your loss. You tried so hard to do the right thing and to have such an awful thing happen is so sad.

Back