• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm in a quandary, over bonding two boy bunnies - yes or no?

Ems&Arnold

New Kit
I have got myself into such a dilemma! I find I'm getting disproportionately emotional about it.

I have it in mind to find a companion for my 1 year old (neutered) boy, a lionhead lop cross. I re-homed him as a single bunny, but it seems sad to keep him on his own, I'd like for him to have a companion to hang out with.

Recently, I have come across another little boy (2 years old, lionhead, not neutered) who is sorely in need of a new home. He's been patiently waiting nearly 1-2 months it seems, for someone to realize how sweet he is. And sweet, and well tempered and friendly he indeed is.

I'm so tempted at welcoming him into mine and Arnold's home, but am also fogged with so much doubt and uncertainty, you read such "scare stories" online. My current concerns include, but are not limited to:
His gender (I had previously been thinking of a girl-friend for my boy - but currently there appears to be a general lack of girls in my local area? Most bizzar);
The fact he is currently not neutered (and the time it can take for hormones to settle after being de-sexed - because he will of course be neutered if he comes to live with me);
Will they get on together? What do I do if they don't (I want a companion for Arnold, not too single bunnies that I keep separately).

The situation is that if I do take on this new little man, it's all or nothing. No opportunity to have a "play date" prior to making a decision. I did however pinch some of the new bunny's soiled bedding to show to Arnold. Arnold was very interested, lots of sniffing and chinning, followed by the complete consumption of the hay portion of the bedding provided.

Has anyone on here stories and experiences to tell of introducing two boy's, not of the same litter? Of those people who have attempted this to either success or failure, what are your opinions? Is this a really poor decision to contemplate, or am I just being a wee bit daft and over thinking it all?

Many thanks in advance.
Ems.

Not done it with boys but have done it with females who are meant to be the hardest.

There was no "date" option as shop brought (I ran the shop and loved her).

If you were to get him I'd keep the completely separate until he had been neutered and allowed at least 6 weeks for hormones to settle.

Then I'd attempt bonding in a completely neutral space.

If they get on great! Well done. We can't really tell how they'll get on until they meet x
If they don't you have two choices... rehome one, or keep them separate and get both a girlfriend.

A male/female bond is meant to be the easiest.

I took just over 3 months bonding my two does. Highly stressful x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I've never bonded two male rabbits, but I believe it's not that uncommon. There's a lot of misinformation about rabbits on the Internet, like girl rabbits always end up dominant. I bonded my Lionhead with a much larger female rabbit and he ended up the dominant rabbit [though TBH I sometimes think they still haven't quite worked it out].

I can't tell you weather or not to go ahead, but you shouldn't base the decision on stuff you've read online [or at least make sure that it's from a reputable source].

I do find it rather odd that they won't let you introduce them though. Where is the other rabbit, is it a rescue centre or a pet place?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much your responses so far. It's both useful and reassuring to hear other peoples experiences and opinions.

The other bunny is currently at a local pet shop, having been returned (I think) after the previous owners circumstances changed (and I think it's important to note, the previous owner has clearly done an awesome job. as are the pet shop staff, this bunny being so very friendly, tame and amiable).

In comparison, I would expect a rescue centre to be more open to "play dates" prior to re-homing (plus they tend to be more on the ball with neutering and spaying).

Last edited:
I previously bonded two boys. Got the second from a well known buy and sell type website becuse he'd been on there ages and I felt so sorry for him (unwanted child's pet). I kept them totally separate until he'd been neutered (mainly as my other bun was free range so side by side housing wouldn't have worked!) but there was sniffing under doors etc. Bonding took a while but we got there in the end! They lived happily together for 3 years until he died and surviving bun was distraught.
I think the personalities of the rabbits are more important than the sex.
During the bonding I did contact a local rabbit rescue, and if it hadn't worked they'd have taken him and I'd take one of theirs. Is this a possibility for you? Even if this boy isn't a good match, another boy might be.

Last edited:
Melon_Pip, Thank you for your comment. Your experience sounds rather similar to my potential scenario. I like your suggestion of having a rescue centre on hand in the back ground just in case, this is good advice. I may actually call a local rescue centre just to chat anyway and see what advice they can offer up as well.

Also very happy to hear your boy's bonded well in the end and sad their union wasn't for longer.

I used a rescue centre to bond Ghibli with Twinkle ✨ and actually the problem was that they would only allow it to happen at the centre [where I originally got Ghibli]. He spent most of the time sitting in a corner [most probably feeling abandoned] being fussed over by Twinkle ✨. When I got them home however, delighted to be back he completely forgot about the new love of his life and was joyous to be home, and completely annoyed with me that I'd now not only taken him back to the place I got him from, but also had him locked in a pen `something that hadn't happened since he was a baby. Bonding's never going to be easy, no matter how you do it, but if you're really worried you're local rescue centre will probably do it for a small feel regardless of where the animals come from. If you're going to bond them at home you need to do it in a totally neutral room that you're current bunny hasn't been in so its neutral territory for both of them. Fights generally brake our because one rabbit sees the other as intruding on his territory, so it's important that everything's always neutral. Clean the room room you usually keep you bunny in thoroughly, and change things arround for good measure. My rabbit hasn't been more happy since I bonded him, it's actually Twinkle ✨ who's the problem. She's still having a bit of a rough time fitting, but she's getting there! Good luck 🍀

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Back