• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Discharge and Swollen Eyes/Nose UD page 4 Its myxi

Thr RHD2 vaccine does not cover Myxo - it sounds like you are due your RHD1 and Myxo Combined Vaccination now. You would have to ask the Vet's advice on this one, and yes apparently some vaccinated rabbits have been succumbing to Mixo :cry: Sending lots o vibes for your rabbits.

We have query Myx/Treponema here at the moment in a rabbit vaccinated 5 months ago with the combi vacc. He's well in himself and has facial nodules and an eye with Uveitis. He's being treated with eye drops and Peniciliin vaccinations every other day. This is our second case. The first was two years ago and involved this rabbit's father. He also was at the same stage after combi vacc. He became quite poorly with a secondary respiratory infection, but did pull through.

This is a trio of rabbits and on neither occasion have I separated them. I have also not disinfected their accommodation as I understood the infection came from a biting insect.

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised by a rabbit becoming infected, when you haven't seen many biting insects. It only takes one and I would think that the insect could have travelled a distance between biting an infected wildie and visiting your garden.

I hope that Buttercup makes a full recovery.

Thank you both :D

Its pretty frightening to think she's had myxi and that we've had it here without knowing. I will disinfect their kennel and run area too. Thanks for the recommendation of Virkon.

We don't often go to sanctuaries, but yes they are both vaccinated against RHD2 thankfully (am I right in thinking that also contains myxi vacc? Just because my calendar says they are both due their vaccinations this week but that was based on their last annual RHD/myxi booster, and not the new one which was given in the summer sometime)

You're welcome.

The RHD2 vaccine protects agains RHD1 + 2, but not against myxi. They will need the myxo/vhd combi vaccine, but it won't be given whilst she is ill.

The myxi/combi vaccine is tested to 13 months efficacy, so she is still 'covered' by last year's vaccine. Though of course how the vaccine behaves in different rabbits is another story ...

Thanks for all the clarification everyone. I used to be on RU a lot but since having relatively healthy bunnies (until now) and having our children I haven't been on as much and its surprising how much you start to lose some of your knowledge when you're not looking at it on a regular basis. So thank you.

Buttercup has had Zebedee by her side throughout and they will remain together all the time, Zebedee has been at the vets with her. I maybe won't disinfect everywhere then if that's an unnecessary thing which could stress them out away from their familiar smells etc. Wow, yeah I didn't think about that it could just take one insect.

DH took them for the RHD2 vaccine, which we had to fight a bit to get and he thought it covered them for myxi as well, but he often gets his wires crossed on these sorts of things! Perhaps we could get Zeb's combined booster done at the next vet visit then, and wait for Buttercup's booster until we get the all clear.

How often does the RHD2 vaccine need to be repeated?

Thanks all, much appreciated! :love:

ETA: do we give the combined RHD/myxi booster annually if they have the RHD2 one, or just myxi booster on its own?

Last edited:
The RHD2 vaccine tends to be under your vets advice. If you're classed as a high risk area they recommend every 6 months, if you're not classed as high risk its every 12 months.

You'll likely still have the combi vaccine, even though the RHD2 also covered RHD.

Thanks for all the clarification everyone. I used to be on RU a lot but since having relatively healthy bunnies (until now) and having our children I haven't been on as much and its surprising how much you start to lose some of your knowledge when you're not looking at it on a regular basis. So thank you.

Buttercup has had Zebedee by her side throughout and they will remain together all the time, Zebedee has been at the vets with her. I maybe won't disinfect everywhere then if that's an unnecessary thing which could stress them out away from their familiar smells etc. Wow, yeah I didn't think about that it could just take one insect.

DH took them for the RHD2 vaccine, which we had to fight a bit to get and he thought it covered them for myxi as well, but he often gets his wires crossed on these sorts of things! Perhaps we could get Zeb's combined booster done at the next vet visit then, and wait for Buttercup's booster until we get the all clear.

How often does the RHD2 vaccine need to be repeated?

Thanks all, much appreciated! :love:

ETA: do we give the combined RHD/myxi booster annually if they have the RHD2 one, or just myxi booster on its own?

The data sheet says it lasts for one year. However, Richard Saunders of RWAF was recommending every six months in high risk areas:

''There is some confusion currently about vaccination boosters with the Filivac vaccine. I've spoken to the manufacturer this afternoon and they have given the following instructions:
For rabbits older than 10 weeks a single vaccine is enough.
For rabbits at 4 weeks you can vaccinate however need a booster 6 weeks later.
Protection will last up to a year, however in high risk areas a booster should be given at 6 months.''

I'm not sure if we are a high risk area or not, but I think our vets when we had it in the summer didn't think here was a high risk area.
Is there a way of finding out if you are in a high risk place?

I'm not sure if we are a high risk area or not, but I think our vets when we had it in the summer didn't think here was a high risk area.
Is there a way of finding out if you are in a high risk place?

Difficult to know really. Keeping your ear to the ground and noticing when people submit reports of VHD2 on social media.

Your vet - and other local vets - should be a barometer as to how high risk you are, based on the number of cases they see. Of course not everyone takes their rabbit to a vet, but it's the best guess really ..

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear this :( Do you have vaccination certificates for your bunnies? If so, I'd check it just to verify that you were given the right vaccine when you went for the RHD2 - there are some vets getting their wires crossed/misunderstanding what's been requested and are actually giving the nobivac again when the owners wanted the RHD2...worth double checking. I think the 6-month 'high risk' recommendation for the filavac is still a bit unclear - the parts about the rabbit being high risk if they are breeding rabbits, go to shows, in a rescue where there is lots of coming and going, or in close proximity to wild rabbits are all fairly clear, but proximity to cases is less so...I've seen any confirmed case within 50 miles suggested - I think this was based on the BRC cancelling shows where there is a case within 50 miles, but I don't think it's necessarily appropriate in all cases. Is a confirmed case 49 miles away 6 months ago really a basis for a 6-monthly vaccination as opposed to a 12 month? I don't know the answer. Mine will be done every 6 months though because we have confirmed case, wild rabbits and rescues coming and going.

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear this :( Do you have vaccination certificates for your bunnies? If so, I'd check it just to verify that you were given the right vaccine when you went for the RHD2 - there are some vets getting their wires crossed/misunderstanding what's been requested and are actually giving the nobivac again when the owners wanted the RHD2...worth double checking. I think the 6-month 'high risk' recommendation for the filavac is still a bit unclear - the parts about the rabbit being high risk if they are breeding rabbits, go to shows, in a rescue where there is lots of coming and going, or in close proximity to wild rabbits are all fairly clear, but proximity to cases is less so...I've seen any confirmed case within 50 miles suggested - I think this was based on the BRC cancelling shows where there is a case within 50 miles, but I don't think it's necessarily appropriate in all cases. Is a confirmed case 49 miles away 6 months ago really a basis for a 6-monthly vaccination as opposed to a 12 month? I don't know the answer. Mine will be done every 6 months though because we have confirmed case, wild rabbits and rescues coming and going.

Thank you so much. So sorry to hear that you have had a case of RHD2, how heartbreaking. I've not been on RU much lately but I saw a thread of yours about having had some very poorly rabbits and I am so sorry to hear that.

Thank you for explaining further about the RHD2. We don't have vaccination certificates, as DH forgot to take the card with him, he thought they said it was combined with something and assumed it was the myxi so its just as probable that he's got his wires crossed. Still, he will give them a call tomorrow to try to find out if its on their records what they were vaccinated with for sure. I'm almost certain it was RHD2 though because I phoned them quite a few times to get hold of it and feeling a bit fobbed off, then all of a sudden noticed they had availability on their social media page, and phoned them there and then for our two, and remember them saying they only had 8 in or something and thinking that we were taking two of those, so not much left for others!

Just a little update to say that Buttercup is still doing well. She has had a review with Molly who is pleased with her progress. She looks slightly worse in some ways - her eye is much better but her nose looks worse, but Molly said to expect that some of her skin may go very bare and exposed as the scabs fall off. Poor bunny, she is coping so well. Continuing on all her meds and is due back for another review with Molly in a fortnight.

Zebedee had his myxi/RHD booster but last night had stopped eating and wasn't moving so DH took him to out of hours vets who said his glucose was very low (2.5 - should be around 6), making some sounds in his tummy but a bit slow, and was feeling cold. He was given glucose injection, as well as gut stimulant and pain relief and as soon as he came home he was eating. Fingers crossed it was just coincidence and now he has been treated is on the mend, and that its not anything else.

Just a little update to say that Buttercup is still doing well. She has had a review with Molly who is pleased with her progress. She looks slightly worse in some ways - her eye is much better but her nose looks worse, but Molly said to expect that some of her skin may go very bare and exposed as the scabs fall off. Poor bunny, she is coping so well. Continuing on all her meds and is due back for another review with Molly in a fortnight.

Zebedee had his myxi/RHD booster but last night had stopped eating and wasn't moving so DH took him to out of hours vets who said his glucose was very low (2.5 - should be around 6), making some sounds in his tummy but a bit slow, and was feeling cold. He was given glucose injection, as well as gut stimulant and pain relief and as soon as he came home he was eating. Fingers crossed it was just coincidence and now he has been treated is on the mend, and that its not anything else.

I'm glad to hear that Buttercup is still doing quite well. Hopefully she can make a full recovery.

I'm sorry that Zebedee has been poorly too, but it sounds as though he is on the mend now xx

Molly seems to have had a run of Myxi buns at the moment!

I am so glad that Buttercup is still doing well - what a relief.

And hopefully Zebedee will keep up his eating and stop worrying everyone, especially at the weekend :D

Back