• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating!

Beebop

Warren Veteran
Rabbit not eating, cant get comfortable and gurgling noises from tummy. On way to out of hours vet but no idea if il get rabbit savvy vet! Grateful if someone cud quickly post what tge vet needs to give him so i can check in 20mins wen i arrive!

I've not been through full stasis, so not sure what the vet is likely to give, but I just wanted to send get well vibes!

You might get fibre stuff (I forget the name) and if the bun is in pain, metacam.

My bun recently had stasis and I got Emeprid and Ranitidine, both gut motility drugs, plus metacam which is pain relief.

Hope your bunny will be ok, it's such a worry :(

ETA: also some recovery food so you can syringe feed him if there is no blockage.

Last edited:
Has there been any recent output from your rabbit? If not, the vet should exclude an intestinal blockage, either by examination or a blood glucose test. If no blockage, then the vet should give recovery food for you to syringe in addition to gut motility medication and pain relief.

Has there been any recent output from your rabbit? If not, the vet should exclude an intestinal blockage, either by examination or a blood glucose test. If no blockage, then the vet should give recovery food for you to syringe in addition to gut motility medication and pain relief.

:thumb: good luck

Hello! He got some pain meds and motility drugs and he seems a lot brighter, currently eating some pellets. My only concern is he still hasn't pooped.....ok he has stopped eating pellets and is lying out flat.....back to the vets we go! :(

Hello! He got some pain meds and motility drugs and he seems a lot brighter, currently eating some pellets. My only concern is he still hasn't pooped.....ok he has stopped eating pellets and is lying out flat.....back to the vets we go! :(

It is often the case that treatment for gut stasis needs to be ongoing for a few days rather than just a one off dose. Fluids are always very beneficial, perhaps you could ask the Vet to administer some subcutaneous fluids aswell as any medication deemed to be necessary. Sending more vibes xx

Glad to hear he's a lot brighter now :D

It does sometimes take 2/3 days for the gut motility meds to kick in ... is he drinking OK?

My vets normally take Doughnut in when she goes into statis as give her fluids through I/V. She's returned once back to normal as they can also syringe feed her and she's a pickle to pick up, so I would rather she was kept in.

Hello, the vet said his tummy is making all the right noises and hes not bloated compared to last night. So he got another shot of pain and motility meds.

Thankfully he is eating small amounts of pellets, parsely and dandelion. The vet said to keep feeding him small amounts. He still hasnt pooped yet! Its been quite a while now! Is this a big issue?

I've got to syringe him more G.I motility drugs tonite and 2moro. He's v.difficult to administer stuff to... hes a very headstrong fella, so I'd be scared of making getting the meds into him impossible if I start giving him liquids now. I will try to get him to drink from his bottle.

What kinds of foods are best? Obv brocolli/cabbage/fruit may not be best. I dont think i can get him interested in his hay atm!

Thanks again guys for all the help!

Hello, the vet said his tummy is making all the right noises and hes not bloated compared to last night. So he got another shot of pain and motility meds.

Thankfully he is eating small amounts of pellets, parsely and dandelion. The vet said to keep feeding him small amounts. He still hasnt pooped yet! Its been quite a while now! Is this a big issue?

I've got to syringe him more G.I motility drugs tonite and 2moro. He's v.difficult to administer stuff to... hes a very headstrong fella, so I'd be scared of making getting the meds into him impossible if I start giving him liquids now. I will try to get him to drink from his bottle.

What kinds of foods are best? Obv brocolli/cabbage/fruit may not be best. I dont think i can get him interested in his hay atm!

Thanks again guys for all the help!

I'd offer him water from a bowl. Rabbits tend to drink more from a bowl than from a bottle, especially when they feel poorly. I'd feed dark leafy greens rather than cabbage/fruit etc. If you wash whatever Veg you do feed and leave it wet that will add to his water intake. Is he used to eating grass ? If so I'd offer him some hand picked grass. Hopefully now food is going in and he has good gut sounds there will be some output later this evening.

Are you keeping him in his usual living space ? I ask as some Rabbits will hold on to their poo if they are in a strange (to them) environment. Only pooing when they are put back into their familiar surroundings x

We have poo!!!! Hurrah! About a handful of raisins! Its formed tho slightly darker and smaller than normal.

He is still reluctant to eat much so il fill up a bowl with water which hopefully he will drink. He ate a couple of mouthfuls of a juicy apple but then stopped. :(

I'm popping out to buy some rocket and basil as he likes those and stopping the pellets. Is it ok to feed them wet? I thought rabbits cudnt eat wet veg for some reason?

We have poo!!!! Hurrah! About a handful of raisins! Its formed tho slightly darker and smaller than normal.

He is still reluctant to eat much so il fill up a bowl with water which hopefully he will drink. He ate a couple of mouthfuls of a juicy apple but then stopped. :(

I'm popping out to buy some rocket and basil as he likes those and stopping the pellets. Is it ok to feed them wet? I thought rabbits cudnt eat wet veg for some reason?

Wonderful news !!!

A handful of raisins is ever such a good start :wave:

Yes, feed the veggies wet. It gets more water into them and is recommended :D

It's fine to feed the Veg/herbs wet. Although my Rabbits look at me in disgust if I do so ! :roll: :lol:

A few raisin poos is great news !

Back